Any Other Peaty Schizos?

Acarpous

Has anyone one here had (or know anyone who has had) any luck ameliorating the most taxing symptoms of schizophrenia (ie chronic unhappiness/hopelessness, anxiety, social phobia, etc)? If so, with what?

I had been actively dealing with the condition for the past 24 months (Peating [see below] for the past 14, so I am aware that tangible improvements due to nutrition may take another 12 or more) but have dealing with the social and intellectual (learning) difficulties most likely since puberty and social isolation since middle school. I am avoiding anti-psychotic medicine (Haldol) as I tried it for a few days and found my behavior was even more counterproductive. One of the more inspiring or hopeful trajectories I have been entertaining is going to grad school for a PhD in clinical psychology (to learn more about my condition while avoiding the job market for another 7-8 years and I would be able to help other people in similar situations avoid the psychiatric profession once I am done) but keep recalling that RP is convinced that any vocational training is going to further suppress independent, analogical thinking. That being said, reading and writing is a much better use of my time than working a minimum wage/dead end job.

My sleep has deteriorated substantially in the last few days (falling asleep at 9-10 am), which I believe is due to the stress of having to find a job (I dont interview very well ["social dysfunction" according to my psychiatrist], and find the reality of working very crushing) and the uncertainty of the future in general (mainly due to a lack of economic control, social isolation). I am not particularly happy but am doing on the whole much better than I was a year ago.

Has anyone been able to effectively use progesterone as a sleep aid? I recall RP saying that very large doses (400mg (?) ) were used as anesthetics in one study. I have tried large doses (~150 mg) on a number of occasions and found that I didn't fall asleep noticeably faster, but was slower getting out of bed the next morning. Sometimes 15mg doses with food in the afternoon bring about euphoric episodes, but nothing consistent.

Within the last several weeks I have started taking 1.5-4.5 g of niacinamide daily, and will be getting a kilo in the next few days so I will start trying even more soon.

~~Daily Food Intake~~
1 gallon skim milk
125-150 g sugar
30g salt
1 raw egg yolk
~ 1 qrt of costco organic oj
1-2 carrots, sometime fried in coconut oil
1-3 cups of strong coffee

usually 1.5 lb of boiled mushrooms/week
weekly shrimp
approximately bi weekly liver

- I used to be eating more (~2 qrts of OJ, 250 g of sugar) but stopped as I put on a fair amount of weight.

~~Daily supplement~~
1.5-4.5 g of niacinamide
~3/4 00 capsule of vitamin E
(usually) -125 mg pregnenelone
(about every other day) a large pinch or two of NDT
|| 1 mg B12
2-100 mg methylene blue (depending on how I am feeling)
15 mg progesterone when I am very anxious (I was taking it daily but am running low)
3 g of aspirin with the appropriate amount of k2

~~Behaviors~~
At least 15 min of playing a musical instrument, usually up to an hour or two
reading as much as I can, although I would like to be doing more of it
Daily walks

Last edited:

Dhair

Has anyone one here had (or know anyone who has had) any luck ameliorating the most taxing symptoms of schizophrenia (ie chronic unhappiness/hopelessness, anxiety, social phobia, etc)? If so, with what?

I had been actively dealing with the condition for the past 24 months (Peating [see below] for the past 14, so I am aware that tangible improvements due to nutrition may take another 12 or more) but have dealing with the social and intellectual (learning) difficulties most likely since puberty and social isolation since middle school. I am avoiding anti-psychotic medicine (Haldol) as I tried it for a few days and found my behavior was even more counterproductive. One of the more inspiring or hopeful trajectories I have been entertaining is going to grad school for a PhD in clinical psychology (to learn more about my condition while avoiding the job market for another 7-8 years and I would be able to help other people in similar situations avoid the psychiatric profession once I am done) but keep recalling that RP is convinced that any vocational training is going to further suppress independent, analogical thinking. That being said, reading and writing is a much better use of my time than working a minimum wage/dead end job.

My sleep has deteriorated substantially in the last few days (falling asleep at 9-10 am), which I believe is due to the stress of having to find a job (I dont interview very well ["social dysfunction" according to my psychiatrist], and find the reality of working very crushing) and the uncertainty of the future in general (mainly due to a lack of economic control, social isolation). I am not particularly happy but am doing on the whole much better than I was a year ago.

Has anyone been able to effectively use progesterone as a sleep aid? I recall RP saying that very large doses (400mg (?) ) were used as anesthetics in one study. I have tried large doses (~150 mg) on a number of occasions and found that I didn't fall asleep noticeably faster, but was slower getting out of bed the next morning. Sometimes 15mg doses with food in the afternoon bring about euphoric episodes, but nothing consistent.

Within the last several weeks I have started taking 1.5-4.5 g of niacinamide daily, and will be getting a kilo in the next few days so I will start trying even more soon.

~~Daily Food Intake~~
1 gallon skim milk
125-150 g sugar
30g salt
1 raw egg yolk
usually 1.5 lb of boiled mushrooms
weekly shrimp

- I used to be eating more (~2 qrts of OJ, 250 g of sugar) but stopped as I put on a fair amount of weight.

~~Daily supplement~~
1.5-4.5 g of niacinamide
|| 1 mg B12
15 mg progesterone when I am very anxious (I was taking it daily but am running low)

~~Behaviors~~
Daily walks

I'm very confused about how schizophrenia is diagnosed.
Some people say it's social isolation and depression, and that's about it. But I know that's not right. I thought it was defined by periodic psychotic breaks and schizoaffective personality. I'm just very confused about the whole subject.
It has been a fear of mine for years, but I know that at the age of 24, I'm pretty well past the age when symptoms manifest, or at least that's what a therapist told me. I never completely lost touch of reality. I guess what I have is simply anxiety.
I'm surprised you aren't cured with that regimen. Have you tried high dose glycine?

OP
A

Acarpous

I'm very confused about how schizophrenia is diagnosed.
Some people say it's social isolation and depression, and that's about it. But I know that's not right. I thought it was defined by periodic psychotic breaks and schizoaffective personality. I'm just very confused about the whole subject.

I haven't found a satisfying definition either.

I'm surprised you aren't cured with that regimen. Have you tried high dose glycine?

No, though I do have a large amount on hand so I will try that soon.

Frankdee20

Psychiatry in America tries to portray itself as a tangible, empirical science. One can often see 4 psychiatrists and obtain 4 different diagnoses, so the lack of consensus amongst its own purveyors is laughable. Obviously, this isn't the only thing wrong with the profession (what the **** is schizophrenia: not otherwise specified!) Dentistry is more of a valid specialty than psychiatry.

HDD

Have you tried cyproheptadine?

The effectiveness of cyproheptadine hydrochloride in treatment resistant chronic schizophrenic patients, 13 male patients (ages 35 to 66 yr), in open, unblinded trial, received cyproheptadine hydrochloride 8 mg/day po, with adjustments to 8 and 12 mg/day monthly intervals over 3 to 6 mo. Seven (54%) of the 13 patients had improvements on cyproheptadine hydrochloride, with 4 these patients remaining on cyproheptadine hydrochloride for over a yr with continued improvement. Seven (54%) also noted calming effects and improvements in sleep. It was concluded that cyproheptadine hydrochloride can be beneficial with regard to improved calmness and sleep, to mood and energy levels and to e negative and even positive psychotic symptoms in a subgroup chronic schizophrenics nonresponsive to other therapies.
[Bacher NM, et al; J Clin Psychopharmacol 14 (6): 424-25 (1994)] **PEER REVIEWED** PubMed Abstract

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Low vitamin D can cause anxiety and depression.

Pak J Med Sci. 2016 Nov-Dec;32(6):1370-1374.
1, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, a potential role player in the development of thyroid disorders in schizophrenics.
Malik A, Saleem S, Basit Ashraf MA, Qazi MH.
OBJECTIVE:
The present study was designed to assess the role of vitamin-D, in the development of autoimmune thyroid dysfunction in newly diagnosed schizophrenics.
METHODS:
For the present study 100 patients and 100 controls were screened out and studied for their thyroid antibodies, GSH, homocysteine, NOS and vitamin D levels by appropriate protocols to assess the underlying mechanism involved in the schizophrenics susceptible to autoimmune thyroid diseases.
RESULTS:
The results of the present study depicted that in schizophrenics, levels of cytokines like IL-6 (7.98±0.67 pg/ml), TNF-α, (40.76±6.98 pg/ml), homocysteine (16.98±1.09 µmol/L), Tg-Ab (30.93±3.87 IU/L), TPO-Ab (10.33±1.78 IU/L) and TSHr-Ab (3.76±0.055 IU/L) increased whereas, those of Vit-D (12.76±0.99 pmol/L), NOS (5.99±0.87 IU/L), GSH (4.48±.965 µg/dl) and NO (16.87±3.98 ng/ml) were decreased in the patients as compared to healthy control subjects.
CONCLUSION:
Vitamin-D in schizophrenia is involved in augmentation of hyperhomocysteinemia, inflammation, oxidative stress and thyroid antibodies, thereby playing a significant role not only in induction of schizophrenic symptoms but may also result in autoimmune thyroid diseases. Thus, earlier detection and rectification of its levels are helpful to limit the miseries of schizophrenia.

OP
A

Acarpous

Have you tried cyproheptadine?

Not as a part of my daily regime.

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Low vitamin D can cause anxiety and depression.

No, but the weather where I live is turning, so it a possibility.

LUH 3417

You sound a lot like me. Do you do anything for pleasure besides reading and writing? Those are both solitary and can be depressing because they are also sedentary. I find lots of joy in riding my bike and hiking even if I am alone. I also have times I can be very social but it's usually followed up by immense guilt because I feel like I'm just acting to be accepted by a crowd. Cypro helped for some time but it make me very unmotivated and I gained a lot of weight taking it which in turn made me more depressed.

HDD

Cyproheptadine can help you to sleep. Vitamin D can be low even if you get plenty of sunshine. Do you have hypothyroid symptoms...how is your temperature and pulse?

LUH 3417

~~Daily Food Intake~~
1 gallon skim milk
125-150 g sugar
30g salt
1 raw egg yolk

usually 1.5 lb of boiled mushrooms/week
weekly shrimp

~~Daily supplement~~
1.5-4.5 g of niacinamide
|| 1 mg B12

~~Behaviors~~
Daily walks
sory I just see now you wrote daily walks. Lately I feel like walking is not enough and I have to exhaust myself somehow which is why im liking my bike so much. Also the prospect of working does suck but even menial jobs can be entertaining or avenues for learning. I worked at a Mexican restaurant and some of the people I worked with were very nice and fun to be around. Although I don't know an Aryan would approve of that suggestion. It helped me build social skills and not be as awkward around people.

OP
A

Acarpous

Do you have hypothyroid symptoms...how is your temperature and pulse?

There is a very good chance. I do not have a habit of checking them.

OP
A

Acarpous

Lately I feel like walking is not enough and I have to exhaust myself somehow which is why im liking my bike so much.

I used to bike regularly but now find myself doing it about once a week, if not less.

OP
A

Acarpous

baccheion

1g Niacin + 1g vitamin C (repeat every few hours if necessary). Also, 1g trimethylglycine, as it increases NMDA signaling (ie, rationality), methylation, and serotonin. Noopept + aniracetam increases cognitive function, and reduces depression and anxiety.

- Multivitamin (like AOR Ortho-Core or Life Extension Mix)
- Magnesium (oil spray)
- Niacin (may have to take every few hours)
- Vitamin C (with niacin)
- Noopept
- Aniracetam

Last edited:

Sepulchrave

All these supplements with the possible exception of Vit C have side effects, such as mind fog, which you have to watch out for.

Don't take any multi vitamin. You should get it all through food.

OP
A

Acarpous

All these supplements with the possible exception of Vit C have side effects, such as mind fog, which you have to watch out for.

I tried vitamin supplements for a period of two years, including a multi-vitamin and mega dose (10-15 g) vitamin C. I have been off of them for about a year and feel generally better; the vitamin C that was readily available had a huge amount of additives. I still use 3-6g of niacinamide daily.

paymanz

Ray has an article, "A Biophysical Approach to
Altered Consciousness" in which he mostly speaks about schizophrenia.

Do you have friends? People you socialize with?

You said you don't suffer symptoms outside of anxiety and depression so what got you diagnosed as schizo?

OP
A

Acarpous

Do you have friends? People you socialize with?
Nothing regular.

You said you don't suffer symptoms outside of anxiety and depression so what got you diagnosed as schizo?

I never claimed to suffer exclusively from anxiety and depression, I requested information for attenuating the most taxing symptoms of the condition, which included the two in your question. Beyond the conditions I have already stated, I occasionally distorted hear voices and had a couple of psychotic breaks. Regardless of what the actual diagnosis is, the psychiatrist I am working with is only offering Haldol, and does not seem to be interested in any further with psychotherapy until I start taking it.

baccheion

They can have such effects if too much is taken. Also, mutlivitamins are often subpar, but the ones I mentioned (first one especially) are good.

Nothing regular.

I never claimed to suffer exclusively from anxiety and depression, I requested information for attenuating the most taxing symptoms of the condition, which included the two in your question. Beyond the conditions I have already stated, I occasionally distorted hear voices and had a couple of psychotic breaks. Regardless of what the actual diagnosis is, the psychiatrist I am working with is only offering Haldol, and does not seem to be interested in any further with psychotherapy until I start taking it.

Rough childhood? Difficult parents?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals