Any issues with cream separators?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Actually, when you said you tried the jar technique, did you mean that you tried separating the cream with a jar that has a spigot at the bottom like this:

Amazon product ASIN B07JH58LCSView: https://www.amazon.com/Circleware-Dispenser-Entertainment-Glassware-Yorkshire/dp/B07JH58LCS/ref=sr_1_65?dchild=1&keywords=Glass+dispenser+with+spout&qid=1633037975&sr=8-65

The separator you linked to would work in a similar way, right?

Oh i have one of those! Maybe that would work! How long do you let the milk set before seperating?

Jennifer

Oh i have one of those! Maybe that would work! How long do you let the milk set before seperating?

It should fully separate within 24 hours. Mine has already separated by the time I pick it up at the farm and store, but it sometimes mixes some on the drive home. When it does, it takes roughly 2–3 hours for it to fully separate.

It should fully separate within 24 hours. Mine has already separated by the time I pick it up at the farm and store, but it sometimes mixes some on the drive home. When it does, it takes roughly 2–3 hours for it to fully separate.

Alrighty then, I got a gallon and a half in the giant spigot jar!

Attachments

• 20210930_152217.jpg
    20210930_152217.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 9
So far so good! I got a definitive cream line going!

Attachments

• 20211001_115201.jpg
    20211001_115201.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 3

miquelangeles

No homogenized is a process to keep the cream mixed in.

Right.
I think it might be possible by freezing the milk but the end result wouldn't be too palatable.

From this 1987 article:

Milk freezes in three stages. The water in the milk freezes first, rapidly. Next, the protein constituents freeze around the water core. The fat content, which rises to the top, freezes last. The milk actually dehomogenizes. When thawed, the constituents of the milk defrost at varying speeds, and no amount of mixing or shaking can reblend them. You would have to have access to a homogenizing machine.

But even if it was feasible and palatable, another issue with homogenization is that the milk fat globule membrane proteins bind with casein and whey proteins, and that is likely not reversible.

Jennifer

Is there any way to separate cream from homogenized milk? Or to de-homogenize it.

The cream will separate if it’s naturally homogenized milk such as goat’s milk and in my experience, only if it’s raw. I tried it with both raw and pasteurized goat’s milk and only the raw separated (it took 5 days). I even tried freezing the pasteurized goat’s milk and shaking it in a jar for 40 minutes—I read both can separate the cream—but the freezer technique just caused the liquid whey portion to separate and the rest to clump up, and the jar technique did absolutely nothing but tire my arms. lol

miquelangeles

The cream will separate if it’s naturally homogenized milk such as goat’s milk and in my experience, only if it’s raw. I tried it with both raw and pasteurized goat’s milk and only the raw separated (it took 5 days). I even tried freezing the pasteurized goat’s milk and shaking it in a jar for 40 minutes—I read both can separate the cream—but the freezer technique just caused the liquid whey portion to separate and the rest to clump up, and the jar technique did absolutely nothing but tire my arms. lol

That's what I noticed too with goat's milk. Low-temperature pasteurized separates too, but not as easily. It usually forms smaller clumps of fat when refrigerated but it's still easy to separate by straining.

It seems that the milk fat globule membrane is very heat sensitive.

Screenshot_735.jpg

Jennifer

That's what I noticed too with goat's milk. Low-temperature pasteurized separates too, but not as easily. It usually forms smaller clumps of fat when refrigerated but it's still easy to separate by straining.

It seems that the milk fat globule membrane is very heat sensitive.

View attachment 28444

Interesting. The pasteurized one I had must have been heated at a higher temp then because after a week in the fridge, it still hadn’t separated. That’s good to know about the fat globule membrane being heat sensitive and would explain the separation that happened when the milk was frozen, something that has yet to happen when I freeze raw milk.

76er

I second the turkey-baster technique.

I can quickly process a half-gallon of non-homogenized that way.

Not perfect but I figure the end result to be 1½﹪ fat milk.

I make popsicles for the kids with the "by product".

Make sure to swirl (or move the baster in a circular motion) while keeping
the baster tip in the fat and not the milk itself.

The bottom spout technique is very cool btw but
I don't have fridge room for that approach.

I second the turkey-baster technique.

I can quickly process a half-gallon of non-homogenized that way.

Not perfect but I figure the end result to be 1½﹪ fat milk.

I make popsicles for the kids with the "by product".

Make sure to swirl (or move the baster in a circular motion) while keeping
the baster tip in the fat and not the milk itself.

The bottom spot technique is very cool btw but
I don't have fridge room for that approach.

I am gonna look for a smaller spugot one. I just happened to have that one to test it. I am gonna finish it is a wine carafe, because it has a long narrow neck, so the turkey baster will be good for it. The spigot is too high to finish it. I will post that pic tomorrow :)

So my wine carafe idea worked well, but it was hard to see the cream line. I got this much cream out of the neck and some below and I could still see there is more so now I am trying 3 other containers to find the easiest and best way.

Attachments

• 20211001_164234.jpg
    20211001_164234.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211002_113129.jpg
    20211002_113129.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211002_113208.jpg
    20211002_113208.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 6

76er

So my wine carafe idea worked well, but it was hard to see the cream line. I got this much cream out of the neck and some below and I could still see there is more so now I am trying 3 other containers to find the easiest and best way.
Nice idea.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals