Any issues with cream separators?

What do you mean about storing milk? Do you have to do a lot at once?

Yes! I placed an order for one and cancelled it after I learned i have to do 10 to 20 gallons at a time! If you find one that does a lot less let me know. It looked like clean up was not a breeze either.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Yes! I placed an order for one and cancelled it after I learned i have to do 10 to 20 gallons at a time! If you find one that does a lot less let me know. It looked like clean up was not a breeze either.
Ohh wow I had no idea. Glad you let me know

Ohh wow I had no idea. Glad you let me know

Here is a final statement on this thread about them....

"To summarize, if you are looking for a simple way to get cream for home use, a kitchen jar will be the right solution for you. But if you run a dairy and intend to separate or standardize your milk regularly — even on a micro scale — a centrifugal separator is what you need."

Jennifer

Any bad effects to be worried about from cream separators?

The only downside for me was the cleanup. There are a dizzying amount (IMO) of parts to clean. Below, you can see, minus the motor and 3 tools, all the parts that require cleaning. The separating disks (bottom left-hand corner), which go inside the drum (funnel looking part directly below the milk pot), have to be disassembled for cleaning and reassembled with each use.

1632928749610.jpeg

The only downside for me was the cleanup. There are a dizzying amount (IMO) of parts to clean. Below, you can see, minus the motor and 3 tools, all the parts that require cleaning. The separating disks (bottom left-hand corner), which go inside the drum (funnel looking part directly below the milk pot), have to be disassembled for cleaning and reassembled with each use.

View attachment 28344

Oh geeze even more parts than I thought! So how many gallons does it require to do at a time? Are the parts hand washable or dishwasher safe?

Jennifer

The separator’s capacity is close to the amount you can separate at a time, not how much you’re required to separate. I say close to because:

1. The capacity of the cream separator is not the actual amount of milk that you can process.​

Sorry, didn’t want to upset you. But when the manufacturer indicates the performance of a cream separator, for example, 100 litres per hour, this does not mean that you can actually separate 100 liters of milk with this machine. The reason is that over time any cream separator becomes clogged with milk fat, particles of grass and other solid elements that might be contained in milk. Therefore, you better take into consideration that after about 45 minutes of work (time may vary depending on the quality of the milk), you’ll have to completely stop the separator, unwind the drum (top bowl) and wash it. This will take you about 15 minutes. Thus, when you choose a cream separator, keep in mind that using it with a capacity of, for example, 100 liters per hour, you can actually separate 75 liters of milk instead of 100 L, because 15 minutes will go for sure for cleaning the cream separator’s drum. Sometimes the use of milk filters can increase the separator working time between pauses.

I have now resorted to drinking half whole raw milk with nonfat.

Is your raw milk cow’s milk? If so, this may be a dumb question but you do know that with raw cow’s milk, you don’t need a cream separator to remove the cream, right?

The separator’s capacity is close to the amount you can separate at a time, not how much you’re required to separate. I say close to because:

1. The capacity of the cream separator is not the actual amount of milk that you can process.​

Sorry, didn’t want to upset you. But when the manufacturer indicates the performance of a cream separator, for example, 100 litres per hour, this does not mean that you can actually separate 100 liters of milk with this machine. The reason is that over time any cream separator becomes clogged with milk fat, particles of grass and other solid elements that might be contained in milk. Therefore, you better take into consideration that after about 45 minutes of work (time may vary depending on the quality of the milk), you’ll have to completely stop the separator, unwind the drum (top bowl) and wash it. This will take you about 15 minutes. Thus, when you choose a cream separator, keep in mind that using it with a capacity of, for example, 100 liters per hour, you can actually separate 75 liters of milk instead of 100 L, because 15 minutes will go for sure for cleaning the cream separator’s drum. Sometimes the use of milk filters can increase the separator working time between pauses.

Is your raw milk cow’s milk? If so, this may be a dumb question but you do know that with raw cow’s milk, you don’t need a cream separator to remove the cream, right?

It is raw and I figure the jar technique might work, but I have only tried it with 6% fat pasteurized A2 Alexandra milk, which failed.

Jennifer

Oh geeze even more parts than I thought! So how many gallons does it require to do at a time? Are the parts hand washable or dishwasher safe?

Whoops. I must have been writing when you posted. There isn’t a minimum, only a maximum based on the separator’s capacity. I washed the parts by hand to prevent rusting.

Jennifer

It is raw and I figure the jar technique might work, but I have only tried it with 6% fat pasteurized A2 Alexandra milk, which failed.

Have you tried skimming it with a turkey baster? If you look at the two middle jars of milk in the front that are a golden color, I used a turkey baster to skim off most of the cream. I left some of the cream, but can skim it to about an eighth of an inch without losing hardly any milk.

3FBDF26C-C59C-4E9F-9868-9CE3DD66E1D9.jpeg

Have you tried skimming it with a turkey baster? If you look at the two middle jars of milk in the front that are a golden color, I used a turkey baster to skim off most of the cream. I left some of the cream, but can skim it to about an eighth of an inch without losing hardly any milk.

View attachment 28360

That is a good idea! I also thought maybe a gravy fat separator might work too. I gave mine away several years ago though.

Attachments

• 20210929_172236.jpg
    20210929_172236.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 1

Jennifer

That is a good idea! I also thought maybe a gravy fat separator might work too. I gave mine away several years ago though.

I’m not sure if I still have my gravy fat separator but if I do, I’ll try it and post here if it works. :)

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, I looked for the gravy fat separator last night and unfortunately, I no longer have it.

Jennifer

Check out this one. Do you see any reason it wouldn't work with milk?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Actually, when you said you tried the jar technique, did you mean that you tried separating the cream with a jar that has a spigot at the bottom like this:

Amazon product ASIN B07JH58LCSView: https://www.amazon.com/Circleware-Dispenser-Entertainment-Glassware-Yorkshire/dp/B07JH58LCS/ref=sr_1_65?dchild=1&keywords=Glass+dispenser+with+spout&qid=1633037975&sr=8-65

The separator you linked to would work in a similar way, right?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals