Any Ideas On Why Milk Causes Me To Flare Up IBD

GorillaHead

Every time I drink milk 6 hours later I am flaring up. Bleeding and such. Why.

milk shakes. Lactose free milk. It doesn’t matter. Literally every-time I drink it I flare. Any theories on why milk would do this. ?

Kelj

milk shakes. Lactose free milk. It doesn’t matter. Literally every-time I drink it I flare. Any theories on why milk would do this. ?

Orthorexia Nervosa I: Women Laughing Alone with Salad — The Eating Disorder Institute

biological adjustments to starvation: gastroparesis, reduction of digestive enzyme production (leading to secondary food intolerances), gastrointestinal motility issues due to bacterial colony collapse, and issues with swallowing often associated with reduction in saliva production and throat irritation due to regurgitation

Dear Doctor: Your patient has an eating disorder. — The Eating Disorder Institute

Under-eating relative to energy requirements drastically impacts gut motility, digestive enzyme production and the resilience of the gut mucosal layer. Symptoms of IBS, GERD, pruritus, skin rashes, distention, flatulence, severe constipation, so-called food sensitivities are all common signs of under eating relative to energy requirements. 11, 12

Know that average energy requirements for adult females and males are not 2000 and 2500 kcal/day respectively. Average intake for sedentary adult females is 2500 kcal/day and 3000 kcal/day for sedentary adult males. Between the ages of approximately 12-25 females require on average 3000 kcal/day and males 3500 kcal/day. Don’t hold back, and ask your patient to tell you what they eat on average each day and have in your mind a sense of what a 2500 or 3000 kcal/day meal plan would look like so you can compare and contrast. And don’t forget that net energy matters: if they are eating 3000 kcal/day but also work out an hour or two each day, then there will be a net energy deficit. 8

Kingpinguin

Milk protein allergy?

Kelj

ie: undereating relative to energy requirements causing so-called food sensitivities. Energy requirements not less than 3000-3500 per day for any man. Reversal occurs with applying these amounts as an absolute minimum, while continuing to eat the food in question. This is not a theory but evidence-based science, practiced by those who realize that energy (calorie) restriction was harming their health.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

ie: undereating relative to energy requirements causing so-called food sensitivities. Energy requirements not less than 3000-3500 per day for any man. Reversal occurs with applying these amounts as an absolute minimum, while continuing to eat the food in question. This is not a theory but evidence-based science, practiced by those who realize that energy (calorie) restriction was harming their health.

This is very interesting science. It’s interesting because when I started to notice visual symptoms of my IBD I was trying to gain weight I was drinking a mass gainer with milk 3k calories plus food everyday for like a month straight. I blamed it on the mass gainer and other factors. That ***t is such low quality food.

Today I am back to my old self weighing 150 pound at 5,10 struggling to put on any weight. Struggling to eat. Right now I am in remission but who knows if I drink milk again if I will hit a flare again.

What would u suggest, would be course of action.

gaze

low stomach acid which isn’t fully digesting A1 casein which can cause problems. until you fix your stomach acid by eating more like mentioned above, i’d switch to goat milk which is A2 casein, naturally homogenized, and easier to digest

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

low stomach acid which isn’t fully digesting A1 casein which can cause problems. until you fix your stomach acid by eating more like mentioned above, i’d switch to goat milk which is A2 casein, naturally homogenized, and easier to digest
I am going to try this. This is very sound interesting science. Thank you!!!

Kelj

This is very interesting science. It’s interesting because when I started to notice visual symptoms of my IBD I was trying to gain weight I was drinking a mass gainer with milk 3k calories plus food everyday for like a month straight. I blamed it on the mass gainer and other factors. That ***t is such low quality food.

Today I am back to my old self weighing 150 pound at 5,10 struggling to put on any weight. Struggling to eat. Right now I am in remission but who knows if I drink milk again if I will hit a flare again.

What would u suggest, would be course of action.
I don't know how old you are, but if under 25 years, never eat below 3500 cal. If over 25, never eat under 3000. It makes sense that if you were previously eating less and increased calories to gain weight, you instigated a healing response in your body. Intestines are always damaged by calorie intake that is too low. Energy (calories) is required for everything in our bodies to stay in good repair. You may not feel too bad until your body has enough energy to repair. Pain is caused by the healing response. Something like milk requires our bodies to make certain enzymes....enzymes they stop producing if ever we stop drinking milk. Start small with a few tablespoons of yogurt, kefir and the like. Then try goat milk and raw milk and keep going until you can tolerate any dairy. This is how I personally began to tolerate dairy again. The most important aspect to heal all this intestinal distress is the high calorie intake. Ride out the negative symptoms as best you can. Rest, too.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

I don't know how old you are, but if under 25 years, never eat below 3500 cal. If over 25, never eat under 3000. It makes sense that if you were previously eating less and increased calories to gain weight, you instigated a healing response in your body. Intestines are always damaged by calorie intake that is too low. Energy (calories) is required for everything in our bodies to stay in good repair. You may not feel too bad until your body has enough energy to repair. Pain is caused by the healing response. Something like milk requires our bodies to make certain enzymes....enzymes they stop producing if ever we stop drinking milk. Start small with a few tablespoons of yogurt, kefir and the like. Then try goat milk and raw milk and keep going until you can tolerate any dairy. This is how I personally began to tolerate dairy again. The most important aspect to heal all this intestinal distress is the high calorie intake. Ride out the negative symptoms as best you can. Rest, too.
I am 27 and I don’t think I’ve eaten more than 2000 calories on average everyday the past 2 years. It so hard for me to eat. I would love to get to 2700 daily consistently at the very least

rob

@Kelj some great posts there. I can relate as I had full-blown orthorexia for many years before my Crohn's diagnosis. I'm passionate about the subject and, on forums like this, think it's very important to bring up.

@GorillaHead You have my sympathies being a young-ish IBD patient myself.

On the micronutrient side, because of the site of my disease (colon), getting my electrolytes well up (especially potassium which also helps with stomach acid production) improved things. Moreover, ensuring B vitamins were always very well covered was important as I can get quite anxious and tense at times – something else that may increase caloric requirements.

Indeed, whilst still suffering quite high levels of inflammation, I had unbelievable response from a combination of nicotinamide riboside (a form of vitamin B3 I used, in part, for bioenergtic reasons), self-imposed ad libitum feeding and lots of rest.

I got away from all the stress of worrying whether this or that was unhealthy because of whatever and just calmly ate as much of what I fancied – having seemingly tried every IBD-related diet under the sun repeatedly with zero success I didn't feel I anything to lose at this stage. My resulting food intake often tended towards quite soft (low fibre) calorie-rich comfort food. Also, I didn't push my body with exercise, bar the occasional gentle stroll for some fesh air.

At the end of it, I got tests done, including calprotectin, and my inflammation levels had totally normalised.

rob

@GorillaHead I should have gone on to say that during the period where I got better I was eating plenty of dairy, plus gluten –foods I had previously been wary of and, on occasion, thought I had intolerances to.

That said, I was listening to my body so, if I didn't want anything milky say, I just had something different. I think sometimes when we overly restrict ourselves for whatever reason we end up eating/drinking things that we don't really want but think should have for whatever reason – or worse we just skip eating/drinking altogether. This can end up causing GI disturbances and concerns of food intolerance, especially around foods commonly discussed as being problematic. On the flip side of this, when we eat/drink what we actually want/enjoy we can end up relaxing more and digesting better.

Kelj

I am 27 and I don’t think I’ve eaten more than 2000 calories on average everyday the past 2 years. It so hard for me to eat. I would love to get to 2700 daily consistently at the very least
Rob has great suggestions, here. Intuitive eating, by which I mean eating what, how much and when you want to eat was how I recovered from all the problems low calorie eating had created. (Beware: not everyone using the phrase "intuitive eating" means eating absolutely unrestrictedly, which means they are still restricting.) I understand the difficulties of eating enough when you have been eating low calorie for a long time. The "gastroparesis" mentioned in the article above, is an adaptation your body makes to low energy intake. Your body slows down the time it takes for your stomach and small intestine to move the food along. This is not your body attacking you. Rather, it is your body protecting you. You are not eating enough. It needs to get every last nutrient out of what you are eating. It can do that if it slows everything down. But, it means you don't feel hungry very often. How to fix it? Purposely eat more until the body feels it can speed things up again. Set a timer at least every two hours and count the calories to ensure enough. You won't feel like eating, always. You may feel nauseated even at the thought, but it is necessary to eat. It really doesn't matter what you eat. So, just think about what sounds least nauseating, and eat that. Only in this way will bacterial colonies normalize, enzyme production come up to speed, mucosal layer be repaired and motility become normal. Motility requires stomach distention, so if you never fill up you will have constipation. The above article says 3000 calories is the bare minimum for a man of your age, but if you were eating below 3500 two years ago and before when you were still in your developmental years, your development was affected and you will finish your development when you finally start eating well above the 3000 calorie minimum. 2700 is a good goal to start with. For a couple of days. But, you will still be accumulating an energy deficit if you were to continue to eat below 3000 calories. If you are starting @ 2000, add 200 every day for 5 days until you are @ 3000. Then keep pushing upward, because you need to eat in excess of what people who have never restricted calories eat on a daily basis to accomplish the repairs your body needs to make and begin making up for at least two years of energy deficit. It feels like work at first, but true hunger should soon come back to help you enjoy your food again.

Tummy Troubles — The Eating Disorder Institute

"Quorum sensing is also relevant for all the good bacteria in the large intestines. When you restrict food intake, those colonies drop below quorum sensing levels and then they are unable to modulate all whole host of things on your behalf: proper reabsorption of water, immune responses to eradicate the presence of unwanted pathogens, supporting the mucosal lining’s ability to allow the right nutrients through to the blood stream and make sure the wrong things do head out the back door so to speak.

Disparate gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g. bloating, distention, flatulence, gas, diarrhea, loose stools, poorly digested foods, constipation, burping…) tend to flare up significantly as you enter a recovery process and that is because not only does your body have to bring back online proper digestive enzyme production and release, but the bacterial colonies have to multiply and start modulating the digestion and immune responses in the ways that they are meant to do as well."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals