Any ideas on how to boost chronic low red blood count?

Guacamayo

I've had a chronically low red blood cell count for years. Always just below the lowest bound...but in the past few months my RBC is falling even lower.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this actually occurs or how to fix it?

I've got autoimmune Hashimoto's, my liver's not doing great (which means my blood show some markers of inflammation as high and also protein as low), and my white blood cell count is also chronically low. I don't know if they're interconnected but just wanted to throw it out there to see if it will help.

Markus

What's your diet like? A few things that come to mind are B-vitamins (specifically B12 and folate), vitamin A, copper and iron. Also, if your thyroid function is off, that will affect every process in the body.

OP
G

Guacamayo

I've actually recently started taking the Thorne B Vitamin complex along with a high-dose Thiamin supplement. Copper levels have always been pretty high which I'm trying to get down with extra zinc, and my iron is also high which I get down by donating blood...which is hard to do this time around because of a low RBC. I don't supplement vitamin A, but I do get considerable daily amounts from the beef liver supps I take daily.

Are you saying that those vitamins and minerals you mentioned negatively affect RBC?

Markus

I've actually recently started taking the Thorne B Vitamin complex along with a high-dose Thiamin supplement. Copper levels have always been pretty high which I'm trying to get down with extra zinc, and my iron is also high which I get down by donating blood...which is hard to do this time around because of a low RBC. I don't supplement vitamin A, but I do get considerable daily amounts from the beef liver supps I take daily.

Are you saying that those vitamins and minerals you mentioned negatively affect RBC?
When out of balance yes. I don't think supplementing zinc is good for regulating copper. I would rather focus on increasing copper utilization.

Have you checked your ceruloplasmin levels? If possible, I would also check S-retinol to see if you have sufficient levels of vitamin A.

OP
G

Guacamayo

My hair mineral analysis tests have shown copper being very high over the past few years. That would imply that ceruloplasmin is low...what are some optimal ways of increasing ceruloplasmin that you would recommend?

gaze

i asked ray about this before, he said increasing body temp is the most important thing for red cell production.

OP
G

Guacamayo

That can't be it. I've actually spent the last few months in a tropical area (Spring and Summer) and have been getting upwards of an hour of heavy sunlight every day...I'm running pretty hot most of the time.

gaze

That can't be it. I've actually spent the last few months in a tropical area (Spring and Summer) and have been getting upwards of an hour of heavy sunlight every day...I'm running pretty hot most of the time.

have you checked your waking temperature? you should be 98.6 after breakfast and throughout the day. you may be colder than you think when your not outside

Markus

My hair mineral analysis tests have shown copper being very high over the past few years. That would imply that ceruloplasmin is low...what are some optimal ways of increasing ceruloplasmin that you would recommend?
Making sure to get adequate protein and vitamin A.

Hi,
Were you able to solve this problem?

OP
G

Guacamayo

Hi,
Were you able to solve this problem?
My RBC did go higher - I'm not sure if it was from increased protein intake or living at a high altitude for a couple of months (I stayed at an altitude of around 2km), or maybe increasing my dose of cordyceps, or perhaps something else altogether, but my RBC did get above minimum and close to the middle of the range. My hemaglobin similarly increased above the minimum. This occurred at the end of last year (when I briefly stayed at high altitude) and the start of this year so I'm guessing altitude played a role.