any ideas for "vegetarian potluck dish?"

crX

I have to go to a potluck in about a week and bring a vegetarian dish. I'm at a loss -- I don't think they'd appreciate a carrot salad :? Need something kind of simple. Any Peat-friendly ideas would be appreciated!

cliff

Vegan or vegetarian? Plenty of options for dishes that use milk/eggs.

OP
crX

crX

They didn't specify vegan, so I guess vegetarian is OK. Maybe a dessert-type thing would work, something sweet but without flour or gelatin. This just kind of freaked me out initially, as the kind of stuff I've been eating lately is not 'typical,' and this is my first pot-luck style thing since I changed my diet. Throwing 'vegetarian' into the list of requirements is just about enough to put me over the edge :D

cliff

you could make tacos/quesadilla with lime treated corn tortillas, jello, pudding, fudge, potato gratin, gummy squares, flourless chocolate brownies, crustless quice, crustless cheesecake. That's just off the top of my head plenty of other stuff you could make. This pinterest has a lot of good ideas http://pinterest.com/brittany8832/peat-y-stuff/

OP
crX

crX

Yeah, OK. Maybe like a cheese quesadilla type thing or maybe the cheesecake or brownies if I can find some flourless recipes. The gummy stuff unfortunately won't work as made from animal products. I wonder if there is such a thing as a Peat-type vegetarian, as I think it would be really hard to eat at all. Certainly a Peat vegan would never survive. I'll check the link too. Thanks for the ideas!

cliff

My diets basically vegetarian, especially the past couple weeks as I haven't been eating any gelatin.

The flourless brownies are really easy
Ingredients:
1) 1 cup sugar
2) 0.5 cup cocoa powder
3) 2 eggs
4) 2tb butter
5) pinch of salt
Cream sugar and butter, mix in eggs 'til pancake consistency, mix in cocoa. Pour in greased baking pan or cupcake pan. Bake at 350 for 20 mins.

OP
crX

crX

Hey thanks for the brownie recipe. As it turns out, I already have all of the ingredients, so maybe I'll do test batch. Just curious, what do you eat for protein if you don't eat meat or gelatin? Lots of milk and eggs? I went one or two days last week with no meat, but for some reason I'm a little wary of leaving it out completely. May do it at some point, but just feel like I've given myself a lot of food changes to adjust to for the time being.

cliff

I would eat meat for variety but it's much more costly than milk for the meat I like. A gallon of milk+all the other stuff I eat gives me around 180g of protein.

OP
crX

crX

Holy cow that's a lot of milk. :cool: I drink maybe a quarter or a third that much and it seems like a lot. Guess it could get expensive if you need that much protein... I'm going to try out the brownies tonight. All I have is powdered sugar and I found out that it is cut with corn starch! It is amazing how much I have learned about food ever since I started questioning what was actually in things.

OP
crX

crX

Why not? I just assumed vegetable starch = bad for the gut. I guess maybe cooked it wouldn't be as bad for you. I seem to be turning into a purist this days. I found citric acid in my grape juice and it seems to be making me sneeze.

pete

Cliff, what milk do you drink (raw, homogenized, UHT, cow/goat)?

cliff

I drink pasteurized organic cream top(unhomogenized), it's from cows.

crX- Starch is fine cooked with lots of fat for most people

OP
crX

crX

Hey cliff, I wanted to let you know that the brownie recipe was excellent. I am going to try a version that incorporates some dates that I got at farmer's mkt.

Just an aside: I halved the recipe and had it for dinner with a glass of milk and a gelatin tea... I felt like I was on fire the rest of the night, my body temp must have been way up (though I didn't measure) and my heart rate seemed pretty quick. I guess this is a good thing? I've been trying not to overdo the sugar thing, as I've gained a few pounds, but it just continually amazes me.

cliff

If you're turning sugar into fat that is actually very protective, most likely you are just storing the excess dietary fat tho.