Any Good Reliable Olive Oils Out There?

DMF

Like it reads - frustrated at all the dishonest brands out there.

BaconBits

Is there no american olive oil. I always wondered why USA produces so little olive oil.

OP
D

DMF

Boy, what a popular post - look at all these responses!!!
Folks here are concerned about what they put into their bodies but I guess in the dark about the current "state" of available olive oil - or what's called olive oil.

Peata

I don't use olive oil anymore, mostly coconut oil and some butter. But if I buy it again, I will get a California brand. The US is a dumping ground for the rest of the world's crappy, dishonest "olive oil". Which is too bad.

Dan W

I've wondered about this too. I remember someone suggesting California olive oils because of stricter quality standards and less likelihood of corruption. Maybe it was by a California supplier though :)

NooMoahk

BaconBits said:
I just typed in amazon.com california olive oil and I got a a few results.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +olive+oil

Not that I am doing any advertising for this California Olive Ranch, I googled this company and they have certificates and they passed the ConsumerReport tests. Plus they are in a dark bottle.

Based on my experience, this is the best tasting and seemingly legitimate OO that you can commonly find in American stores. I really like it but I don't eat it anymore either because coconut oil makes me feel noticeably more cognitive. I have probably eaten over 40 ounces of the stuff so I feel pretty confident about how it affects me. Who knows if it's OO in general or if this product is inferior as well.

BaconBits

NooMoahk said:
BaconBits said:

Not that I am doing any advertising for this California Olive Ranch, I googled this company and they have certificates and they passed the ConsumerReport tests. Plus they are in a dark bottle.

Based on my experience, this is the best tasting and seemingly legitimate OO that you can commonly find in American stores. I really like it but I don't eat it anymore either because coconut oil makes me feel noticeably more cognitive. I have probably eaten over 40 ounces of the stuff so I feel pretty confident about how it affects me. Who knows if it's OO in general or if this product is inferior as well.

Well, olive oil is the only "safe" oil that is liquid in european and us climate. You cant use coconut oil on a salad unless its summer time or is some kind of hot salad.

I have my own olive oil, we have olive trees around the house and yes, it cannot be compared with coconut oil. I also dont like too much olive oil.

pboy

theres a couple good organic ripe olive oils on the market but very rare...olive oil seems like a laxative to me so I rarely use it, anyone else notice that?

OP
D

DMF

One needs to go DIRECTLY to the mills and stick their jug underneath for that authentic, cloudy FIRST pressing. 'Course most can't do that...

NooMoahk

BaconBits said:
NooMoahk said:
BaconBits said:

Well, olive oil is the only "safe" oil that is liquid in european and us climate. You cant use coconut oil on a salad unless its summer time or is some kind of hot salad.

I have my own olive oil, we have olive trees around the house and yes, it cannot be compared with coconut oil. I also dont like too much olive oil.

I just melt my coconut oil first.

tara

I was thinking that if what you are concerned about is olive oil being diluted with less saturated oils, then you could just stick it in the fridge and check that it clouds solidifies. Then I thought I'd look up it's freezing temperature, and found this informative page.
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/freezing-olive-oil
ACTUAL FREEZING TEMPERATURE
To determine the actual freezing temperature, Dr. John Deane put several oils in the freezer with a thermometer. At 40°F, most of the oils had not hardened or formed any crystals. At 35°F, most were firm enough that they could not be poured but were as soft as butter at room temperature. As the temperature lowered, more components of the oil solidified. At 10°F, the oils were hard enough that a fork could not penetrate them. Determining at what point to call the oil "frozen" is a matter of semantics. This slow increase in hardening as the temperature is lowered is in sharp contrast to a pure substance such as water that switches from a liquid to solid phase at an exact temperature.

Of course, freezing temperature doesn't tell much about other aspects of quality.

(Irrelevant tangent: I always find references to 'room temperature' amusing - I've certainly had olive oil unpourable sitting on my kitchen bench in winter, and coconut oil liquid in summer. :))