Any Good Peat-Approved Food Sources Of Vitamin E?

javin

I'm trying to minimize my intake of supplements and get my required nutrients from real foods.

I'm stumped on Vitamin E. It seems like it would be quite hard to get the recommended daily value from foods, as so many of them are full of PUFA!

Here are a few sources I know of so far (and the percentage per serving):
  • Mangos (11% per 1 mango)
  • Cooked spinach (16% per 1 cup)
  • Shrimp (17% per 4 ounces)
  • Red bell pepper (9% per 1 medium pepper)
  • Taro root (20% per 100g)
  • Prickly pear cactus (Not sure? I read somewhere it was high in E.)
Since it's been said before that if you have a diet low in PUFA then less Vitamin E is needed, maybe incorporating the foods above would be enough. I'm mainly looking for the skin/hair benefits that Vitamin E is said to offer.

Can you add any others to the list?

Last edited:

yerrag

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

"Me: The vitamin E in supplements are usually sourced from either soy or from wheat. Are there other sources of vitamin E from food? I can't find any good information on food that are good sources of vitamin E. My impression is that vitamin E can only be found in plants that have plenty of PUFAs. Once, you had mentioned that coconut oil contains Vitamin E, but I can't find supporting documents or articles saying so. If they were mentioned, it doesn't detail how much vitamin E is in them. I suspect that the vitamin E is in the sterols found in coconut, as part of the isoprenes available in plants. Am I right?

Ray: It’s removed in the refining. I asked a coconut oil producer in Mexico what he did with the diatomacous earth after it’s used in the refining, and he said he sold it to a chemical company."

So, the vitamin E is in the coconut milk. Since most of the oil in coconut milk is saturated, with about 4% being PUFA, there isn't that much vitamin E, as vitamin E increases as PUFA increases.

This makes me think that coconut milk is better than virgin coconut oil, as the VCO contains some PUFA, yet does not have vitamin E to keep the PUFA from propagating its oxidation chain.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals