Any evidence the current blood sugar range is arbitrary?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Long ago when a read or listened to a piece by Ray about diabetes I got the impression that he suggested that the current healthy blood sugar range is somewhat arbitrary.
Something came up recently that reminded me of this.
Is there published research or a scientific explanation to this idea or is it ridiculous?

Jackson Chung

I think so. My father developed diabetes (200+ fasting blood sugar). He never took any medicine and has been that way since around 2017.

I am not sure if its healthy or not. But I've tried to give him b vitamins, aspirin, DHEA, pregenelone, taurine, glycine, theanine, etc...

That lowered his blood sugar from 380 to 200. But I doubt he takes it regularly and doesn't have the best diet.

We don't go to doctors because they are morons, but last time he did blood work he was fine other than the high blood sugar.

Again I'm not giving anyone any medical advice, just my opinion. But this is our experience.

tankasnowgod

Long ago when a read or listened to a piece by Ray about diabetes I got the impression that he suggested that the current healthy blood sugar range is somewhat arbitrary.

When you understand how they get the lab ranges, they are all somewhat "arbitrary." Basically, they take results from the general public, and they base the range on that. No attempt is made to control for any sickness or conditions that the people might have. Just what you would "generally" expect to see from a large sample from the general public.

Grapelander

He thinks the higher blood sugar in pregnant women is a natural reaction that should not be tampered with. It makes for intelligent babies.

wolfman37

Something came up recently that reminded me of this.
Is there published research or a scientific explanation to this idea or is it ridiculous?
35 years ago, when I was a resident. We started considering diabetes after a fasting glucose of 150. Lowering the blood value to 100 likely caused an exponential increase in the number of prescriptions and patients injecting insulin. Im sure there is a correlating graph out there somewhere

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
35 years ago, when I was a resident. We started considering diabetes after a fasting glucose of 150. Lowering the blood value to 100 likely caused an exponential increase in the number of prescriptions and patients injecting insulin. Im sure there is a correlating graph out there somewhere
35 years ago isn't that long ago - late 1980s.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
I think so. My father developed diabetes (200+ fasting blood sugar). He never took any medicine and has been that way since around 2017.

I am not sure if its healthy or not. But I've tried to give him b vitamins, aspirin, DHEA, pregenelone, taurine, glycine, theanine, etc...

That lowered his blood sugar from 380 to 200. But I doubt he takes it regularly and doesn't have the best diet.

We don't go to doctors because they are morons, but last time he did blood work he was fine other than the high blood sugar.

Again I'm not giving anyone any medical advice, just my opinion. But this is our experience.
I've reviewed someone's blood tests results recently and other that the sugar all other marker values were bang on

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
When you understand how they get the lab ranges, they are all somewhat "arbitrary." Basically, they take results from the general public, and they base the range on that. No attempt is made to control for any sickness or conditions that the people might have. Just what you would "generally" expect to see from a large sample from the general public.
yep, so it seems

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
He thinks the higher blood sugar in pregnant women is a natural reaction that should not be tampered with. It makes for intelligent babies.
I think i heard Ray say this once. Makes sense

Peater Piper

I personally think the upper end for fasting glucose and A1C are far too high. Someone in the upper range is already experiencing a loss of glucose control.

InChristAlone

High cortisol causes high blood sugar, it's the instability and lack of control that increases cortisol because without it we'd die of a coma. Unfortunately the cortisol raises it higher than baseline. You could survive that way for a long time but it'd be a miserable life. I prefer to just eat plenty of carbs and not fast for too long. Then I have perfect numbers.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals