Any Downside To Eating Ground Beef?

Gone Peating

I'm 24 and male. I have been eating a half pound of lean ground beef every day for a few months now. I still enjoy the taste, and the amino acid profile doesn't seem to be problematic to me. Gelatinous meat/ pork rinds/ gelatin make me feel brain foggy and can even give me a headache. Meat does not.

Just wondering if there are any potential negative consequences of consuming beef every day or any nutritional imbalances it could create

Cirion

If it's grass fed, that's probably fine to have on a fairly regular basis. I personally really like grass fed beef because it's a great way to get protein and compared to other meat choices, is the superior choice almost across the board IMO except organ meats maybe (and I like grass fed liverwurst now and then as well). About the only complaint people may have is its iron content, which if that's truly a major concern, just donate blood every once in a while. It may also be prudent to have gelatin with it to balance the amino acids, although I often am lazy about doing this.

tara

Just wondering if there are any potential negative consequences of consuming beef every day or any nutritional imbalances it could create
Seems like quite a bit, but may be fine, depending on you and what else you are eating. Similarly, whether it can contribute to nutritional imbalances probably also depends on your state ad what else you are eating to get your overall balance.

Personally, I think there's something to be said for a bit of variety - varying the beef with organ meats now and then, and seafood for the different mineral balance etc, lamb sometimes just for a change, ....
For current balance, to keep my palate and intuition open to other possibilities, and to help prevent you and your system from getting tired of the same thing all the time.

OP
G

Gone Peating

If it's grass fed, that's probably fine to have on a fairly regular basis. I personally really like grass fed beef because it's a great way to get protein and compared to other meat choices, is the superior choice almost across the board IMO except organ meats maybe (and I like grass fed liverwurst now and then as well). About the only complaint people may have is its iron content, which if that's truly a major concern, just donate blood every once in a while. It may also be prudent to have gelatin with it to balance the amino acids, although I often am lazy about doing this.

Thanks bro! I forgot about liver

OP
G

Gone Peating

Seems like quite a bit, but may be fine, depending on you and what else you are eating. Similarly, whether it can contribute to nutritional imbalances probably also depends on your state ad what else you are eating to get your overall balance.

Personally, I think there's something to be said for a bit of variety - varying the beef with organ meats now and then, and seafood for the different mineral balance etc, lamb sometimes just for a change, ....
For current balance, to keep my palate and intuition open to other possibilities, and to help prevent you and your system from getting tired of the same thing all the time.

Yea I agree, I just don't like the taste of fish very much but the organ meats I think is a good idea. Never really tried any of them tho lol

Alpha

There isn't much difference between grass fed and grain fed beef.

Moreover, it's a grey shade between what constitutes grass fed or free range.

sunraiser

I'd only add to the idea to include other foods to see what you start to crave once in a while (lamb mince is a good one to try - it seems to serve a distinct purpose to beef for me).

I'm probably similar to you in that I don't enjoy lean meat or fish at all these days. It's not going to immediately appear "healthy" but I find fish fingers to be an enjoyable source of white fish.

I've always found white fish bland and unappetising but I really enjoy it via fish fingers (basically just adding fat via oil with bread crumb). I don't crave them that often but I sometimes eat the things in massive quantities when I do! It has definitely become an occasional dietary staple...

It's also really helpful to me to have a low effort nutrient dense meal option - fish fingers plus lettuce plus dressing is literally no stress or prep time!

I'm not saying you should eat it but they could be worth a go for some variety. White fish is a great source of magnesium, selenium and iodine. Only if you enjoy them though.

aquaman

Thanks bro! I forgot about liver

If you eat liver, find a good, fresh source of it. LIver bought from normal stores is DISGUSTING. I guess it's 4-5 days old already, plus fed grain.

Organic, grass-fed/pasture raised, that is FRESH (like 1-2 days old) tastes OK, especially when soaked in milk for 30 mins before cooking.

tara