Any Conjectures On The Connection Between Beta Blockers And Depression?

aguineapig

It seems to be a common side effect of many beta blockers. I use propranolol to control panic disorder reemergence during times of acute stress, and felt pretty sure the depression connection (with higher, chronic doses) was due to its T3 lowering effect. I figured atenolol has much less of an effect in this regard according to studies, but depression is still sometimes associated with commencing atenolol.

there are other studies (see for many cited sources; Do Beta-Blockers Cause Depression? ) that contest the connection. I am still going to request a switch to atenolol, I think, because I foresee needing to take a beta blocker more regularly for the next several months, because some studies with propranolol show too much of a reduction of T3 for me to be comfortable with.

I suppose certain study pools (perhaps due to regional and seasonal differences) may just draw more of a demographic that finds being on a hypertensive drug for a heart attack a depressing reminder of their mortality? that's one simple theory.

Any way, if anyone has any conjectures, I think it would be an interesting discussion about this class of drugs that I think can be very useful for navigating through tight spots in life.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals