Any Clues Here? Insights Appreciated

Mandy BoBandy

Hi,

Here is my introductory post: https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/hi-from-mandy.9084/#post-117675

Essentially I have no health complaints except obesity (abdominal especially) and some eczema. Do these blood test results point to any particular issues or provide any clues as to what is needed to get healthier and lose weight? I hope to get more comprehensive tests done in about six weeks so recommendations on additional tests for better clues are also appreciated, thank you.
upload_2016-2-23_7-30-19.png

Mittir

Your CO2 level could be higher, close to 29 or more.
RP thinks it is better to have albumin at the upper end of normal
range. Adequate protein can fix that.

I believe it is difficult to lose fat after 30. Big accumulation of PUFA
makes it difficult to rev up metabolism quickly.
I would give at least 2-3 years of low PUFA diet ,preferably
less than 4 grams, before expecting disappearance of belly fat.

You can try following Tests in addition to tests you had.
Total T3, reverse T3, total cholesterol,
Prolactin, PTH , Iron saturation index, Ferritin.
Here is a RP quote on tests for metabolism.

The “basal” metabolic rate, especially if the rate of carbon dioxide production is measured, is very useful. The amount of water and calories disposed of in a day can give a rough idea of the metabolic rate.

The T wave on the electrocardiogram, and the relaxation rate on the Achilles reflex test are useful.

Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.

Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism.
Source: Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.

thegiantess

You have an elevated liver enzymes which could be fleeting, like a virus or something.. Or it could be an actual issue. You would have to retest to know for sure. Were you fasting for the test? The glucose is slightly high. You mentioned that you used to eat low carb. I know a high fasting glucose can be an issue on low carb.

Belly fat, I think is a sign of poor liver function. What's your pufa status?

thegiantess

Your CO2 level could be higher, close to 29 or more.
RP thinks it is better to have albumin at the upper end of normal
range. Adequate protein can fix that.

I believe it is difficult to lose fat after 30. Big accumulation of PUFA
makes it difficult to rev up metabolism quickly.
I would give at least 2-3 years of low PUFA diet ,preferably
less than 4 grams, before expecting disappearance of belly fat.

You can try following Tests in addition to tests you had.
Total T3, reverse T3, total cholesterol,
Prolactin, PTH , Iron saturation index, Ferritin.
Here is a RP quote on tests for metabolism.

The “basal” metabolic rate, especially if the rate of carbon dioxide production is measured, is very useful. The amount of water and calories disposed of in a day can give a rough idea of the metabolic rate.

The T wave on the electrocardiogram, and the relaxation rate on the Achilles reflex test are useful.

Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.

Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism.
Source: Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.

To your knowledge does Peat ever give ranges that are ideal for the tests? I find that he will mention blood tests in articles or on herb doctors and never ever gives ideal ranges. So frustrating!

OP
M

Mandy BoBandy

Thank you so much Mittir and thegiantess for your comments and suggestions.

I will ask for those tests mentioned and will report back in April with a better picture.

Yes, I had fasted for 12 hours before this test and was surprised to see the high glucose number.

The ALT number looks similarly high in the last test I had done in 2013. I wonder if a liver issue would help to explain the eczema, in addition to the abdominal fat.

PUFA, well, I feel PUFfy alright. No doubt I had way too much of it before I knew what it was, including during the low carb days what with all the bacon and chicken skin and nuts and almond flour baking. So now I am trying to minimize PUFA intake and certainly there is more work to do on that front.

SQu

I have low carb followed by weight gain history too and I'm working on liver health and lower stress hormones to try fix. Your two high readings also relate to those two issues so I think that's helpful guidance from your tests. Lots of info here on these topics.

Mittir

To your knowledge does Peat ever give ranges that are ideal for the tests? I find that he will mention blood tests in articles or on herb doctors and never ever gives ideal ranges. So frustrating!
He usually gives those numbers in response to questions in interviews and e-mail response.
It is scattered around the places, i have heard him talking about co2 level can be higher than
reference range. He also thinks a lot of tests are not that reliable. Tests give a general view.
One can have all the thyroid numbers in optimal range with hypothyroid symptoms due to
PUFA interferance.

OP
M

Mandy BoBandy

My TSH has come down from around 2.5 at the height of my low carb days, so perhaps a more Peaty approach is helping. Meanwhile I'm reading up on caffeine for the liver. Would aspirin and/or niacinamide affect the ALT?

OP
M

Mandy BoBandy

New blood test results are in and wow, triglycerides have shot up big time since low-carb days. Prolactin, glucose fasting, and total cholesterol are also higher than the range, and TSH is back up too, ugh! There are lots of numbers but I think these are the main/most relevant ones for Peaty discussion purposes. Is it time to panic? Back off the sugar? Order up some Tyromax? If you see any clues here that help to explain a seemingly ever-expanding mid-section, please feel free to speculate or provide insights.

Glucose, fasting - 6.1 mmol/L (3.6 - 6)
Cholesterol, total - 6.7 mmol/L (<5.2)
Triglycerides - 2.21 mmol/L (<1.7) (was 0.47 in low-carb 2013)
HDL - 1.38 mmol/L (>=1.3)
B12 - 355 pmol/L (>220)
AST - 17 U/L (<31)
ALT - 14 U/L <36)
TSH - 2.35 mIO/L
Free T4 - 15 pmol/L (12 - 22)
Free T3 - 4.7 pmol/L (2.6 - 5.7)
Hemoglobin AIC 5.5% (<6.5)
Cortisol, morning - 200 nmol/L (130-540)
Testosterone, total - 0.9 nmol/L (<2)
CRP-hs - 2.9 mg/L (<=3)
Prolactin - 33 ug/L (< 24)
CRP - 3.0 mg/L (<8)
Ceruloplasmin - 264mg/L (200 - 400)

OP
M

Mandy BoBandy

My own guess is sub-par thyroid function, evidenced by TSH and prolactin, perhaps impacting liver's ability to do something or other, blah de blah blah blah, which leads to high cholesterol and triglycerides. Am I close? ;-)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals