Any Body Use Animal Fats For Cooking?

A.R

I was wondering if anyone does this.

Recently I've been using lamb fat which I have stored (bought some lamb ribs with the fat, so after cooking had a lot of spare lamb fat), to fry eggs in.

Been getting sort of a sore throat and a sort of accumulation of phlegm at the back of my mouth/nose.

Maybe symptoms of liver cleaning up?

When I make buffalo feet for their gelatin content, I use the fat that skims to the top for my cooking. I seem to tolerate it better than commericially available butter or ghee.

tankasnowgod

I used to use bacon grease back in the paleo days, but not anymore. Always had a great taste, but I seem to remember it making me just a touch queezy. I rarely eat bacon these days.

I was excited to see grass fed beef tallow at whole foods a month or so ago. I purchased it, and was quickly disappointed. It didn't add a good beefy flavor, was actually sort of bland. Also, seemed to give similar queeziness that I remember from bacon grease. Maybe it's the brand, or the grass fed-ness. Oh well. The rare times I've had fries in restaurants that fry in tallow, they were delightful. Butter and Coconut Oil are pretty much the only two I will use, going forward.

OP
A.R

A.R

I used to use bacon grease back in the paleo days, but not anymore. Always had a great taste, but I seem to remember it making me just a touch queezy. I rarely eat bacon these days.

I was excited to see grass fed beef tallow at whole foods a month or so ago. I purchased it, and was quickly disappointed. It didn't add a good beefy flavor, was actually sort of bland. Also, seemed to give similar queeziness that I remember from bacon grease. Maybe it's the brand, or the grass fed-ness. Oh well. The rare times I've had fries in restaurants that fry in tallow, they were delightful. Butter and Coconut Oil are pretty much the only two I will use, going forward.
Yes, 'queezy' is just the word I was looking for

I wonder why this happens

I saved the lamb fat because I had run out of butter/coconut oil, and it should be a much better option than pufa I thought

OP
A.R

A.R

Very interesting.

Tried the lamb fat again today, throat phlegm/blocked sinuses/grogginess all came back.

However, shortly after I took 1 drop of Thyroid (a solution of mixed T3/T4) and it all went away!

It's seems then that lamb fat may suppress Thyroid function.

I wonder if there is research on saturated fats doing this.

Although I am hypothyroid to begin with, so you could say lamb fat doesn't exactly 'assist' Thyroid function.

Adrian

I was wondering if anyone does this.

Recently I've been using lamb fat which I have stored (bought some lamb ribs with the fat, so after cooking had a lot of spare lamb fat), to fry eggs in.

Been getting sort of a sore throat and a sort of accumulation of phlegm at the back of my mouth/nose.

Maybe symptoms of liver cleaning up?
Hi.
I do the same with beef fat, when some portion is very greasy, I keep aside the fat and I use it for frying, almost always fried eggs. It is tasty and very cheap, although it probably contains some PUFA so I do not use it often. Digestion is easy. I cook the egg whites well and the yolk is raw.