Anxiety Leads To Lower Social Status (and Niacinamide Fixes It)

acrylic

"Or, in formal terms, “trait anxiety” predisposes individuals to a lower social status and lower performance in competitive social groups. In fact, researchers at the Swiss institute École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne have discovered the part of the brain that links anxiety with social standing — and figured out a way to manipulate it. The neuroscientists gave anxious rats, who were also subordinate when competing with their fellow rodents, a vitamin-B3 booster that targeted this specific part of the brain. Those creatures went from eating lunch alone to becoming homecoming queens. But when the drugs wore off, so did the newfound popularity.

Carmen Sandi, a researcher on the study and the head of the lab where the research was conducted, says this is the first time anyone has linked mitochondrial function in a particular region of the brain with behavior. And the findings could soon have implications for us — she and her colleagues are starting human trials. Sandi hopes they’ll be able to help out people with their “difficulties in the social world.”

http://www.ozy.com/acumen/blame-anxiety-for-your-social-status/66639

RMH

Does anyone have input on dosage? I've read everything from 500mg/2X per day to 1g+/3X per day.

tara

Does anyone have input on dosage? I've read everything from 500mg/2X per day to 1g+/3X per day.
Tolerance seems to vary. Possibly in part related to glycogen storage.
I'd try 100mg 3x a day for starters, and work up as long as it seems to have good effects, back down if it gets too much. Some people get nasty headaches if they take more than they can handle. Others can take 3g a day (divided) fine.
With or after meals, not on an empty stomach, reduces risk of it causing sugar crashes.

haidut

Here is the actual study. It is a very interesting read as it shows that niacinamide can help restore electron transport chain activity and it is inhibition of such activity that is responsible for the anxiety. For comparison of effectiveness, injecting CoQ10 into the rats did NOT work.
Mitochondrial function in the brain links anxiety with social subordination. - PubMed - NCBI

The niacinamide was injected directly in the brain, every 3 hours. Extrapolating to oral doses required to achieve such concentrations in the brain, this means a human oral dose of about 1.5mg/kg daily is required.

tara

The niacinamide was injected directly in the brain, every 3 hours. Extrapolating to oral doses required to achieve such concentrations in the brain, this means a human oral dose of about 1.5mg/kg daily is required.
Every three hours?

haidut

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mauritio Sterile gut leads to lower anxiety, serotonin , and TPH-levels + some bacteria don't increase serotonin Articles & Scientific Studies 4
T Anxiety and NDT Dosage Thyroid and Hormones 2
Y Slight social anxiety, no idea of the absolute cause Ask For Help or Advice 5
k2896 Anxiety after taking methylene blue Supplements 4
Velve921 Anti-Anxiety Activity Mental Issues 1
K Supplements that help with anxiety? Mental Issues 19
Whiteheart Options for treating Depersonalization Anxiety Disorder Ask For Help or Advice 8
T Propranolol or Xanax for somehow serious exam anxiety? Ask For Help or Advice 9
F Anxiety, overthinking, worrying, OCD might be caused by undermethylation or LOW serotonin? Mental Issues 1
F Anxiety, overthinking, worrying and pessimism caused by undermethylation or LOW serotonin? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 17
J First Anxiety Attack Mental Issues 8
Lokzo How To DESTROY Anxiety (Best Anxiolytic Compounds) Supplements 15
hazel Anxiety in perimenopause Female Issues 25
Lokzo Taurine NUKES Social Anxiety...Via Oxytocin + GABA. Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 5
Igorevich Diabet, Anxiety, MPB, Brain Fog, need advice Mental Issues 2
F My stack for testosterone, anxiety, inflammation and muscle growth: reasonable? Supplements 54
T Why can't I tolerate sugar on benzos? (It gives me severe physical anxiety) Ask For Help or Advice 14
T I got advice from herbalist James Sloane for physical anxiety caused by benzos what do you guys think? Ask For Help or Advice 6
J Over excitation and anxiety Mind, Sleep, Stress 3
S TTFD Anxiety Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
A Studies to convince Dr to prescribe Minocyline for depression/anxiety?? Mental Issues 0
F Pregnenolone & or DHEA on TRT for anxiety&hair loss Ask For Help or Advice 5
T I took my valium 12 mg dose 21 minutes too late this morning and now have physical anxiety/withdrawal Ask For Help or Advice 9
Mito Serotonin receptor 4 in the hippocampus modulates mood and anxiety Articles & Scientific Studies 0
G Starting Caffeine - Lots of Health Problems - Asthma, Erectile Dysfunction, Hypertonic Pelvic Floor, Hair Loss, Anxiety/Depression Caffeine 54
T I inhaled chimney smoke from the boiler outside, now I got physical anxiety hours later Ask For Help or Advice 1
D Good alternative to anti anxiety medication? Mental Issues 34
haidut Serotonin (and SSRI drugs) can cause anxiety and PTSD Scientific Studies 0
T Will lemon balm help against benzodiazepine's physical anxiety? Ask For Help or Advice 21
xetawaves Anxiety, Depression And Confusion After Eating Ask For Help or Advice 7
Charger Seeking Advice: Rheumatoid Arthritis And IBS/Anxiety Female Issues 8
T I Missed My 5 Mg Evening Dose Of Valium, Now Have More Physical Anxiety Is This Neurological Damage? Ask For Help or Advice 33
haidut Hypothyroidism Can Cause Anxiety, Panic Attacks And Other Mental Issues Scientific Studies 2
Razvan Reccomandations Anxiety Ask For Help or Advice 8
T Finally Figuring This Out Anxiety, Twitching Hear Me Out Please Mental Issues 13
H Caffeine Giving Me Anxiety Ask For Help or Advice 1
T Sick Of The Depression And Anxiety Mental Issues 18
ScurveDream The "childlike" Mind, Awake Dreaming, Thoughts & Health/anxiety, Longevity & More Miscellaneous Health Discussions 4
lyfe From Crippling Anxiety/Not Function To Feeling Better - But Still Confused Diet 4
I Burn Out, Anxiety, Depression Mental Issues 29
F Best Supplement For Dealing With Performance Anxiety? Mental Issues 33
M The Anxiety Of Undisturbed Leisure Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 30
haidut A Third Of Americans Show Signs Of Clinical Anxiety, Depression Scientific Studies 2
Max. Vitamin D Causing ED And Huge Anxiety Supplements 24
vrd2107 Acute Physical Symptoms Of Anxiety/Panic Despite Mood Mental Issues 2
P Help With Lab Results - Thyroid, PCOS, Anxiety, No Energy Labs 9
P Anxiety Panic Without Fight Or Flight Mental Issues 4
R Anxiety Medication Ask For Help or Advice 11
E Anti-Peat Peating Causing Anxiety Debate - Anti-Peat 57
haidut Blocking Serotonin, Adrenaline Treats Anxiety, Brain Damage Due To Alcohol "addiction" Scientific Studies 6