Karmeleon

Antiprotozoal activity of proton-pump inhibitors​

Abstract
Parasitic diseases are still a major health problem in developing countries. In our effort to find new antiparasitic agents, in this Letter we report the in vitro antiprotozoal activity of omeprazole, lansoprazole, rabeprazole and pantoprazole against Trichomonas vaginalis, Giardia intestinalis and Entamoeba histolytica. Molecular modeling studies were an important tool to highlight the potential antiprotozoal activity of these drugs. Experimental evaluations revealed a strong activity for all compounds tested. Rabeprazole and pantoprazole were the most active compounds, having IC(50) values in the nanomolar range, which were even better than metronidazole, the drug of choice for these parasites.
Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Anti-infective properties of proton pump inhibitors: perspectives​

Abstract
Infectious diseases are among the main causes of morbidity and mortality today. In facing this crisis, the development of new drug options and combat strategies is necessary. In this sense, drug repositioning or drug redirection has emerged for the faster identification of effective drugs. In this "Commentary," the anti-infective properties of the class of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are emphasized. Studies report activities against bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and viral agents. In addition, we have provided in a table a summary of the specific characteristics of PPIs and some of their anti-infective activities.
Keywords: Anti-infective properties; Drug repurposing; Infectious diseases; Proton pump inhibitors.

OP
K

Karmeleon

Seems like many more so called "IBS" like conditions with stomache pain are maybe related to poor diagnostic of protozoal and or bacterial infections i guess.
Metronidazole is kind of the Star Bug Scrubber but is dangerous in its side effects, maybe ppi or *-azole drugs which are also capable of eradicating a lot of the same spectrum of bugs are more safe for short term and maybe way lower dosage use?
Has anyone ever tried to use a PPI instead of Metronidazole for eradicating a protozoa infection?
I'm still searching for equivalent MIC's for PPI vs Metronidazole/Tinidazole, my main interest atm is trichonoma and Entamoeba Histolytica, maybe someone can help me out.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals