Karmeleon

Antimicrobial activity of commercial Olea europaea (olive) leaf extract

Abstract
The aim of this research was to investigate the activity of a commercial extract derived from the leaves of Olea europaea (olive) against a wide range of microorganisms (n=122). Using agar dilution and broth microdilution techniques, olive leaf extract was found to be most active against Campylobacter jejuni, Helicobacter pylori and Staphylococcus aureus [including meticillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA)], with minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) as low as 0.31-0.78% (v/v). In contrast, the extract showed little activity against all other test organisms (n=79), with MICs for most ranging from 6.25% to 50% (v/v). In conclusion, olive leaf extract was not broad-spectrum in action, showing appreciable activity only against H. pylori, C. jejuni, S. aureus and MRSA. Given this specific activity, olive leaf extract may have a role in regulating the composition of the gastric flora by selectively reducing levels of H. pylori and C. jejuni.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
I’m curious if anyone on here has used olive leaf to treat H Pylori. If so, what protocol did you use?

Dr. B

Antimicrobial activity of commercial Olea europaea (olive) leaf extract

Abstract
The aim of this research was to investigate the activity of a commercial extract derived from the leaves of Olea europaea (olive) against a wide range of microorganisms (n=122). Using agar dilution and broth microdilution techniques, olive leaf extract was found to be most active against Campylobacter jejuni, Helicobacter pylori and Staphylococcus aureus [including meticillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA)], with minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) as low as 0.31-0.78% (v/v). In contrast, the extract showed little activity against all other test organisms (n=79), with MICs for most ranging from 6.25% to 50% (v/v). In conclusion, olive leaf extract was not broad-spectrum in action, showing appreciable activity only against H. pylori, C. jejuni, S. aureus and MRSA. Given this specific activity, olive leaf extract may have a role in regulating the composition of the gastric flora by selectively reducing levels of H. pylori and C. jejuni.

why does olive leaf seem to cause indigestion and significant stomach rumbling? also oily skin and acne

OP
K

Karmeleon

why does olive leaf seem to cause indigestion and significant stomach rumbling? also oily skin and acne
Dead Bacteria debris contains lps, endotoxin, which is highly inflammatory, a lot of people get diarrhea or skin erruptions on antibiotic substance... Maybe you got a bug killed?

Dr. B

Dead Bacteria debris contains lps, endotoxin, which is highly inflammatory, a lot of people get diarrhea or skin erruptions on antibiotic substance... Maybe you got a bug killed?
thats interesting in that case is this a temporary effect of olive leaf extract and it should be continued to be used? its more of a general antibiotic substance side effect, not so much an olive leaf specific thing?
how can we excrete and get rid of endotoxin...? just have to deal with it on its own?
what about organic apple cider vinegar capsules? its vinegar powder, freeze dried organic apple cider vinegar. is it safe to use...
i think i remember doctors saying on oral antibiotics for acne that initially they can increase acne but over time should help it resolve more. is it the same with olive leaf.
whats the best brand for OLE. island nutrition?

OP
K

Karmeleon

thats interesting in that case is this a temporary effect of olive leaf extract and it should be continued to be used? its more of a general antibiotic substance side effect, not so much an olive leaf specific thing?
how can we excrete and get rid of endotoxin...? just have to deal with it on its own?
what about organic apple cider vinegar capsules? its vinegar powder, freeze dried organic apple cider vinegar. is it safe to use...
i think i remember doctors saying on oral antibiotics for acne that initially they can increase acne but over time should help it resolve more. is it the same with olive leaf.
whats the best brand for OLE. island nutrition?
I don't know any special brands of OLE, as i am in europe on top, i just buy a brand with standardized extract of oleupurin content.

A way to counter endotoxin would be non soluble fibe as ray's carror salad or for more sophisticated binding active charcoal as it could also bind some already present in blood.
There are more Threads in the forum dedicated to the endotoxin issue.

Of the topic about safety of dry vinegar i don't have experience with it, i just know that pure vinegar is caustic and irritating for membranes so i would not take it undiluted at least.
Vinegar has some interesting antibiotic properties so i guess it could work well for stomache, upper gi disinfection instead of antibiotics.

And yeah i also got some skin rash breakout sometimes after bactericidal antibiotic use, so doctors are seemingly right observing an increase in acne before resolving it.
For continued use of OLE i would check if i ain't got allergic, immunologic reaction to it.
But for resolving bio film protected infection,
longer duration taking it or decreasing timing and dose for decreasing side effects, until the infection is under control or resolved is something well advised.
My 2c

Dr. B

I don't know any special brands of OLE, as i am in europe on top, i just buy a brand with standardized extract of oleupurin content.

A way to counter endotoxin would be non soluble fibe as ray's carror salad or for more sophisticated binding active charcoal as it could also bind some already present in blood.

Of the topic about safety of dry vinegar i don't have experience with it, i just know that pure vinegar is caustic and irritating for membranes so i would not take it undiluted at least.
Vinegar has some interesting antibiotic properties so i guess it could work well for stomache, upper gi disinfection instead of antibiotics.

And yeah i also got some skin rash breakout sometimes after bactericidal antibiotic use, so doctors are seemingly right observing an increase in acne before resolving it.
For continued use of OLE i would check if i ain't got allergic, immunologic reaction to it.
longer duration taking it or decreasing timing and dose for decreasing side effects, until the infection is under control or resolved is something well advised.
My 2c

how can we decrease endotoxin production? the main way seems to be fast metabolism, and then eating foods that digest as fast as possible. so milk, whey, juices, sugars, minimal starch, maybe minimal gelatin too? i dont know if gelatin digests quick or not.

the other category is increasing endotoxin excretion. this can be done apparently with insoluble fiber, also orange juice, activated charcoal, and possibly even vitamin C supplements? do you know if vitamin C excretes endotoxin or negates its effects.

theres another category which is blocking endotoxins effects, these are the TLR4 blocking substances and they include vitamin D and vitamin A. i dont know if vitamin C is in this category or if it actually helps excrete endotoxin. do we want to be using substances that block the inflammation from endotoxin? would those have a risk of letting endotoxin fester and not properly excreting it quickly enough?

surprisingly omega 3 actually helps with endotoxin too...? while palmitic acid is a TLR4 agonist?
what about policosanol?

for now I have promethean wellness apple cider vinegar, olive leaf extract which is 25% oleupurein, and ive added 500mg Quali C vitamin C.
and I am thinking of adding in 5000 IU retinyl palmitate vitamin A and 5000 IU vitamin D3. but A and D I am still thinking on, since they don't actually help excrete endotoxin just block its effects

Dr. B

My 2c
have you looked into the effects of vitamin C, vitamin D3, vitamin A, and policosanol and black seed oil as far as endotoxin is concerned?
OLE causes slowed digestion, bloating, stomach rumbling... lower appetite which might be a result of those other things like slowed digestion

OP
K

Karmeleon

have you looked into the effects of vitamin C, vitamin D3, vitamin A, and policosanol and black seed oil as far as endotoxin is concerned?
OLE causes slowed digestion, bloating, stomach rumbling... lower appetite which might be a result of those other things like slowed digestion
I am personally not concerned about motility because of lapodin/emodin usage.
I just added some berberine and after a pretty shitty day of diarrhea, i could attest the combination rocks. Significant reduction in overall gi distress and better digestion.

I use 300mg oleupurin and 500mg berberine.
In addition to the stack i already used 500mg x2 scuttelaria baicalensis and 1.000mg astralagus and houttuynia.
The berberine seems to cover a gram negative spot which was causing problems. I'll test it in combination with some low dose penicillin and report back. So far so starch and meat digesting again :) pretty happy about that

OP
K

Karmeleon

I do use b2, d3 and a in sane dosages already to contain an ongoing lps endotoxin mediated inflammatory response. 10k A, 10k D3 atm, 500-2.500mg niacinamide, 500mg thiamin topical, b2 r5p 15mg, b6 p5p 20mg.
Maybe I'll try some more VA later, but atm 10k seems a sweet spot, and i use some taurin(3g) and glycine (10g) a day to round everything up.
The glycine is doing some wonders on its own, despite being a heavy gelatin Consumer.

Dr. B

I am personally not concerned about motility because of lapodin/emodin usage.
I just added some berberine and after a pretty shitty day of diarrhea, i could attest the combination rocks. Significant reduction in overall gi distress and better digestion.

I use 300mg oleupurin and 500mg berberine.
In addition to the stack i already used 500mg x2 scuttelaria baicalensis and 1.000mg astralagus and houttuynia.
The berberine seems to cover a gram negative spot which was causing problems. I'll test it in combination with some low dose penicillin and report back. So far so starch and meat digesting again :) pretty happy about that

how are you tolerating the oleupurein? why does olive leaf extract cause me indigestion and similar symptoms.
what if you dont use any anti bacterial antibiotic things and only use 5k IU vitamin d3, 5k IU viamin A, 500mg vitamin C to counter endotoxins effects?
btw which brand/type of vitamin A are you using. i have solgars dry vitamin A retinyl palmitate.

I do use b2, d3 and a in sane dosages already to contain an ongoing lps endotoxin mediated inflammatory response. 10k A, 10k D3 atm, 500-2.500mg niacinamide, 500mg thiamin topical, b2 r5p 15mg, b6 p5p 20mg.
Maybe I'll try some more VA later, but atm 10k seems a sweet spot, and i use some taurin(3g) and glycine (10g) a day to round everything up.
The glycine is doing some wonders on its own, despite being a heavy gelatin Consumer.

can gelatin increase endotoxin, is it hard to digest it, so feeds a lot of bacteria?
olive leaf apparently slows digestion of starches and their conversion to sugars is this actually a bad thing? makes it seem like it slows digestive time? which that alone can cause major issues if digestion is slowed down

OP
K

Karmeleon

Try to increase energy of the mucosa by including the b vitamins, vitamin a & d, inosine or other easy atp substrate maybe some nutritional yeast. This is my primary approach to patch the gut up and eliminate the bacterial overgrowth/dysbiosis. Antibiotics or herbs are a crutch. Endotoxin alone could create constipation, so i guess you got flora that is susceptible to it. I use some lapodin / emodin and more magnesium (200-400mg) to keep me regular and lowish saturated fat.
And some insoluble fiber to clean the gut from endotoxin, active charcoal always regulates my digestion has never created constipation for me, so guess.
I use a d3 10k from Now foods, and the retinyl acetat from idealabs.
Too much vitamin a lets you take up a lot od phosphate and if you don't watch your calcium counterbalance in favor to calcium it also creates constipation, at least for me.
I hope this helps my 2c

Dr. B

Try to increase energy of the mucosa by including the b vitamins, vitamin a & d, inosine or other easy atp substrate maybe some nutritional yeast. This is my primary approach to patch the gut up and eliminate the bacterial overgrowth/dysbiosis. Antibiotics or herbs are a crutch. Endotoxin alone could create constipation, so i guess you got flora that is susceptible to it. I use some lapodin / emodin and more magnesium (200-400mg) to keep me regular and lowish saturated fat.
And some insoluble fiber to clean the gut from endotoxin, active charcoal always regulates my digestion has never created constipation for me, so guess.
I use a d3 10k from Now foods, and the retinyl acetat from idealabs.
Too much vitamin a lets you take up a lot od phosphate and if you don't watch your calcium counterbalance in favor to calcium it also creates constipation, at least for me.
I hope this helps my 2c
why low saturated fat? saturated fat kills bacteria do you avoid because of palmitic acid and TLR4 connection?
vitamin A and D3, 5000IU of each is good? 1:1 ratio each? and those seem to be the recommended doses by Ray right.

OP
K

Karmeleon

why low saturated fat? saturated fat kills bacteria do you avoid because of palmitic acid and TLR4 connection?
vitamin A and D3, 5000IU of each is good? 1:1 ratio each? and those seem to be the recommended doses by Ray right.
Fat transports the endotoxin into the system, no fats, no endotoxin that is safely contained in the gut.

OP
K

Karmeleon

This are supplemental doses, i get enough vitamin a from other sources as 2x portion of liver and daily liver sausage spread. I calculated once and i am well over 15k vitamin A averaging over the span of a week. So i fall between 1:3-1:5 ratio of vitamin d to vitamin a.

OP
K

Karmeleon

More for the liver repair effects and protection against stored pufa, i try to keep fat intake at about 15% of caloric intake, preferentially from hydrogenated coconut or high stearic sources cocoa or beef fat. The stearic acid has some impressive good effects on cardio performance, so i keep them. Also stearic acid modulates gut flora to some more non pathogenic profile.
Haidut posted a study where 15g stearic acid has some very good effects. Also the rat study on alcoholic cirrhosis where rats consumed 60g hydrogenated coconut oil and their liver healed up in a week even with continued alcohol intake. So 60g fat seems to be quite a sweet spot to be in. Also saturated fat spares b vitamins which comes in handy in dysbiosis where b vitamin production of flora is compromised.

Dr. B

More for the liver repair effects and protection against stored pufa, i try to keep fat intake at about 15% of caloric intake, preferentially from hydrogenated coconut or high stearic sources cocoa or beef fat. The stearic acid has some impressive good effects on cardio performance, so i keep them. Also stearic acid modulates gut flora to some more non pathogenic profile.
Haidut posted a study where 15g stearic acid has some very good effects. Also the rat study on alcoholic cirrhosis where rats consumed 60g hydrogenated coconut oil and their liver healed up in a week even with continued alcohol intake. So 60g fat seems to be quite a sweet spot to be in. Also saturated fat spares b vitamins which comes in handy in dysbiosis where b vitamin production of flora is compromised.
so you keep fat intake around 60g a day?
what about grass fed whole milk?
how does saturated fat spare b vitamins where did you learn this? i wasnt aware of this.

OP
K

Karmeleon

I don't use a lot milk, so not to worry about the fat in some 1.5% lactose free one i tolerate, just about 0.5l per day in a few caffe latte.

I don't remember exactly any more where i read the part about b-vitamin sparing effect of saturated fat, i think it was also mentioned in the forum somewhere and in a book of nutritional scientist robert j. Williams.
He got some good books like Nutrition in a Nutshell or Physicians' Handbook of Nutritional Science. Also abram hoffer i think quoted something about b vitamins and links to saturated fats in context of Williams writings.

a lot of these are to be found on archive.to and i like to read actual books about subjects in nutrition and do so for quite a long time now. Maybe i need another hobby haha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom