Antimicrobial Effect of Cola on Several Microorganisms

OP
R

Rock_V

@haidut @yerrag Open water swimmers drink a can of cola after races to prevent water-borne illnesses.

Drink 150ml of coke as it can neutralise harmful bacteria. Open water swimmers & triathletes who have consumed coke straight after swimming di not get ill compared to those who only drank water.

How To Prevent illness after Open Water Swimming | IronMate.

Also interesting, is Ray peat talks about the importance of keeping your gut clean.... Well Coke is the first line of treatment for intenstinal blockages aka bezoars.

yerrag

@haidut @yerrag Open water swimmers drink a can of cola after races to prevent water-borne illnesses.

Drink 150ml of coke as it can neutralise harmful bacteria. Open water swimmers & triathletes who have consumed coke straight after swimming di not get ill compared to those who only drank water.

Also interesting, is Ray peat talks about the importance of keeping your gut clean.... Well Coke is the first line of treatment for intenstinal blockages aka bezoars.

nice!

haidut

Forum Supporter

Great! No wonder Coke is now demonized everywhere. It can compete with pharma drugs, just like aspirin.

Amazoniac

Salt and sugar both cause mild/moderate blood hypertonicity, which has direct antiviral effect. Sugar lower lipolysis, which lowers free tryptophan in the blood as FFA displace tryptophan from albumin where most of it is present while in circulation. That also tends to decrease serotonin synthesis, especially in the brain since tryptophan uptake into the brain is driven mainly by the tryptophan/LNAA ratio. Also, as you said, there is evidence for direct antiviral effect of sugar(s) and some of the evidence is quite recent.

FWIW, Pepsi is on the W.H.O. list of essential medicines, as it is quite effective in treating dehydration in people with infectious disease (including of viral origin). While the W.H.O. does not explicitly say so, the reason Pepsi ended up on that list was not so much its rehydrating properties, but the fact that doctors in 3rd world countries noticed it alleviates (and possibly even retards/cures) viral infections, and in some cases even malaria. I don't know that there is any special ingredient in Pepsi responsible for these effects, so my guess is it's the sugar, CO2, caffeine, and phosphoric acid and those are also present in Coke, so the latter should have similar effects.

@Rock_V
You guys from Idealabs Without Borders use colas? Sometimes it's decraponated ('flat'), therefore crapon dioxide must not be necessary for the effect.

⬑ [19] Does drinking "flat" cola prevent dehydration in children with acute gastroenteritis?

Alleviation through other means should be the case given that its composition for rehydration is far from ideal, it works despite this.

The essences that our dear fish is pond fond of might be contributing as well.
- What is in Coca-Cola? A briefing on our ingredients

Check out the description.

Other factors are taken into consideration too: availability (remote areas have access to these beverages), sterility (for places with questionable hygiene and debilitated persons already battling infections), cost (compared to alternatives), convenience (requires no preparation), palatibility (important for fetuses).

- Microbiological quality of carbonated and non-carbonated mineral water stored at different temperatures

- Pepsi - Wikipedia

"Pepsi derives its name from the ailment it was advertised to relieve: dyspepsia."​

OP
R

Rock_V

Here is a fun, practical video showing the Coke effect!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJaVZX6yaQ

Also, Coke is supposed to clear a blocked esophagus. I know whenever I get anything stuck in my throat, a coke clears it out right away.

The rule is - always keep a Coke in the fridge in case of emergency.

It seems carbonated beverages in general are particularly helpful for digestion. This study confirms it I reckon....

The results of our study suggest that acute food bolus obstruction, even in the strictured oesophagus, may be managed efficiently by the simple expedient of administering an aerated drink such as Coca-Cola before endoscopic evaluation of the underlying pathology. It seems likely that fizzy drinks might penetrate the bolus and induce its disintegration by releasing carbon dioxide gas within the bolus. Furthermore, if the drink were to seep through into the stomach, the release of gas within the latter might dislodge the bolus at eructation. Aspiration and oesophageal perforation are potential risks but did not occur in any patient. Although in this study Coca-Cola worked well, champagne might be the drink of choice for those who can afford it!

Steak and Champagne anyone?

yerrag

Here is a fun, practical video showing the Coke effect!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJaVZX6yaQ

Also, Coke is supposed to clear a blocked esophagus. I know whenever I get anything stuck in my throat, a coke clears it out right away.

The rule is - always keep a Coke in the fridge in case of emergency.

It seems carbonated beverages in general are particularly helpful for digestion. This study confirms it I reckon....

The results of our study suggest that acute food bolus obstruction, even in the strictured oesophagus, may be managed efficiently by the simple expedient of administering an aerated drink such as Coca-Cola before endoscopic evaluation of the underlying pathology. It seems likely that fizzy drinks might penetrate the bolus and induce its disintegration by releasing carbon dioxide gas within the bolus. Furthermore, if the drink were to seep through into the stomach, the release of gas within the latter might dislodge the bolus at eructation. Aspiration and oesophageal perforation are potential risks but did not occur in any patient. Although in this study Coca-Cola worked well, champagne might be the drink of choice for those who can afford it!

Steak and Champagne anyone?

Will the Heimlich Cola work just as well.?

OP
R

Rock_V

IF you can't perform heimlich on yourself ... Coke may be your only option.

I found this in the Sunday Times archives...

Sir, The fizzy drinks industry has had much bad publicity on health grounds. However, it does have its pluses. On Thursday I went to A&E at Worthing Hospital after choking on what I thought was a fishbone. The doctor immediately prescribed a can of Coca-Cola from the vending machine — which instantly cleared the blockage (a piece of potato, as it turned out). Similarly, three years ago, my wife was choking on a piece of lobster and an ambulance was called to the restaurant. The crew immediately told her to drink Coca-Cola, with the same outcome.

Gustav3Y

Sir, The fizzy drinks industry has had much bad publicity on health grounds. However, it does have its pluses. On Thursday I went to A&E at Worthing Hospital after choking on what I thought was a fishbone. The doctor immediately prescribed a can of Coca-Cola from the vending machine — which instantly cleared the blockage (a piece of potato, as it turned out). Similarly, three years ago, my wife was choking on a piece of lobster and an ambulance was called to the restaurant. The crew immediately told her to drink Coca-Cola, with the same outcome.
This is almost incredible, maybe because it is in a newspaper publication.
I imagine here the crew could be facing real issue if they recommend something not in the standards of medical and emergency practices.

yerrag

I can see how it would take me longer to Google Heimlich, watch the video, and then get it right the first time around in an emergency situation.

Having Coke handy this time, and not the fizzed out version-will be a better solution. Hope the victim is not choosy and prefers the healthier iced tea.

OP
R

Rock_V

Right!! Apparently in the UK, paramedics always keep a bottle of Coke in the ambulance.

Look at this Choking man's life saved after paramedics pour Coca-Cola down his throat

Paul said: "When I got to him his face had turned purple.
"We had no choice but to get him to the hospital and into the resuscitation department. We tried everything, even opening his throat and trying to clear the blockage with forceps. But nothing worked."
With no other options, Paul and his team put their hope in an unorthodox method - and sent someone to get a can of coke.
Paul said: "One of the last tricks in the book is to pour full-fat Coca-Cola on blockage. It can dissolve the food a bit and helps clear it.

"We helped Peter pour it in. And it worked. He coughed the chicken up in minutes."

In France, women were always recommended to have a fillet steak and a glass of champagne after giving birth. Obviously the steak is for iron, zinc, b12, protein etc. But the champagne maybe helps digestion of meat, and perhaps has some hygienic properties due to co2 and ethanol.

gd81

Interesting.

Years ago I spoke with a woman who was a dietician from Poland. She said they'd often give flat coca cola to infants and children who had stomach upset and it usually worked like a charm.

Gustav3Y

Interesting.

Years ago I spoke with a woman who was a dietician from Poland. She said they'd often give flat coca cola to infants and children who had stomach upset and it usually worked like a charm.

It does work.

But then if you meet certain doctors that are despising sugar and caffeine as I know particularly some, they will steer you of cola and preach against it aggressively.
Not to mention dentists which are highly against cola or other acidic and bubbly drinks.