paymanz

Oral NaHCO3 Activates a Splenic Anti-Inflammatory Pathway: Evidence That Cholinergic Signals Are Transmitted via Mesothelial Cells

To examine the effects of NaHCO3 on acute changes in parasympathetic activity, 12 healthy participants (six men, six women, age 27 ± 2 y, body mass index [BMI] 25.3 ± 1.2 kg/m2) were provided 2 g of NaHCO3 dissolved in 250 ml of bottled water (treatment [TXT] group). An additional six participants (four men, two women, age 25 ± 1, BMI 25.7 ± 2.1 kg/m2) were recruited as controls and were provided 1.39 g of NaCl (equivalent molar load to 2 g of NaHCO3) dissolved in 250 ml of bottled water (CON group)
The first major finding of our study is that oral NaHCO3 promotes a powerful anti-inflammatory response including M1 to M2 macrophage polarization and increased FOXP3+ CD4+ T regulatory cells (Tregs) within the spleen.

There was a significant group by time interaction for changes in serum potassium (p = 0.029, η2P = 0.279). Specifically, serum potassium decreased with NaHCO3 treatment (p = 0.008), but there was no change with NaCl treatment

In summary, we report that oral NaHCO3 activates splenic anti-inflammatory pathways in both rats and humans.

LeeLemonoil

Is that a spleen-specific effect or part of a systemic AI-action that the spleen is part of. Or did they simply just only examine the defects in the spleen for this study. Seems there is no reason whi it wouldn’t act similar in other tissue

I know a guy whose H2 A1C dropped from the 8s to the 5s, just using baking soda over about 8 weeks.

OP
P

paymanz

Once i ingested a full teaspoon and it was disturbing to my intestines so badly, acted like a laxative.

Idk is it only me or its normal?

managing

Once i ingested a full teaspoon and it was disturbing to my intestines so badly, acted like a laxative.

You neutralized a significant amount of the acid content of your stomach. Perhaps all. If your stomach had food in it, you sent a bunch of undigested food through 30' of intestine. If your stomach was empty, you sent a ball of unnaturally high pH sludge through instead.

I think even 1/4 is a lot to start with. Your stomach recovers the desired pH of the stomach rapidly. But I would only do it on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after or 30 minutes b4 eating).

OP
P

paymanz

You neutralized a significant amount of the acid content of your stomach. Perhaps all. If your stomach had food in it, you sent a bunch of undigested food through 30' of intestine. If your stomach was empty, you sent a ball of unnaturally high pH sludge through instead.

I think even 1/4 is a lot to start with. Your stomach recovers the desired pH of the stomach rapidly. But I would only do it on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after or 30 minutes b4 eating).
Yes some of it gets converted into salt.

1 teaspoon is about 9 grams i believe, this study it was 2grams. I wondering studies on baking soda effects on sport performance that used about 20 grams! How they used it?!

I remember i have seen such studies.

Kartoffel

Adding it to orange juice seems like a convenient way to offset the alkaline effects of the baking soda while removing excess acidity from the juice, at the same time.

Dissolving the sodium bicarbonate completely in the liquid before drinking is critical. Stir your glass rhythmically or shake your bottle vigorously, then pause to check that there are only bubbles and no grains in the liquid or stuck to the glass.

The editor of National Geographic ruptured a 2.5 inch section of his stomach from a single teaspoon according to the New York Times, and his lawyers won a suit against Arm and Hammer after digging up 18 other similar near death cases: https://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/27/news/in-rare-cases-of-indigestion-baking-soda-may-be-a-peril.html .

Kartoffel

Dissolving the sodium bicarbonate completely in the liquid before drinking is critical. Stir your glass rhythmically or shake your bottle vigorously, then pause to check that there are only bubbles and no grains in the liquid or stuck to the glass.

The editor of National Geographic ruptured a 2.5 inch section of his stomach from a single teaspoon according to the New York Times, and his lawyers won a suit against Arm and Hammer after digging up 18 other similar near death cases: In Rare Cases of Indigestion, Baking Soda May Be a Peril .

Brought to you by the country where you can sue McDonalds for burning your hand with their coffee because they didn't put a warning concerning its' hotness on their cups.

Brought to you by the country where you can sue McDonalds for burning your hand with their coffee because they didn't put a warning concerning its' hotness on their cups.

No surprise there :)

But I hope the first portion of my post may prevent others from dealing with the stabbing headache and twisting stomach cramps I experienced the first time I tried sodium bicarbonate.

Edit: Interesting quote from Vinero :P

rawmeat

I've never had issues taking teaspoons at a time about an hour after meals.

Gone Peating

1/4 teaspoon in my OJ in the morning the past couple weeks has been an actual gamechanger for me for chronic inflammation in my neck and shoulders

managing

Yes some of it gets converted into salt.

1 teaspoon is about 9 grams i believe, this study it was 2grams. I wondering studies on baking soda effects on sport performance that used about 20 grams! How they used it?!

I remember i have seen such studies.
Those studies are probably multiple times/day. Technically you could probably dose 5 grams ever 20 minutes and be fine, because the stomach will rapidly produce more hydrochloric acid to bring the pH back down.

Still, wow.