Antifungal Action of Methylene Blue Involves Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Disruption of Redox and Membrane Homeostasis

Candeias

Antifungal Action of Methylene Blue Involves Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Disruption of Redox and Membrane Homeostasis in C. albicans

"Firstly, we demonstrated the antifungal activity of MB and found that MB was efficiently showing its anti-candidal effect not only against C. albicans but also for non albicans species of Candida. Three independent drug susceptibility testings; spot assay, filter disc assay and broth microdilution assay were conducted to demonstrate that MB was antifungal against C. albicans reference strain as well as clinical isolates at 100µg/ml and inhibits the growth of C. krusei and C. tropicalis at 300 and 200µg/ml respectively. Interestingly, MB showed no effect on C. glabrata and C. parapsilosis even upto 600µg/ml (data not shown) suggesting there might exists alternative mechanisms to cope up with MB stress. There are many reports which suggest that current therapeutic drugs clinically available are losing their effectiveness. For instance fluconazole shows its antifungal activity in C. albicans (ATCC10261) at 16µg/ml which goes up to the range of 85-110µg/ml for the resistant strains of Candida [32]. Similarly, MIC values for amphotericin B and caspofungin lies in the ranges 0.03-0.125µg/ml and 0.25-2µg/ml respectively. Moreover, a recent study suggests that resistance rates of Candida for amphotericin B, fluconazole, itraconazole, and voriconazole were 2.9%, 5.9%, 4.2% and 2.5%, respectively. Under such circumstances, it becomes compelling to look for new drugs such as MB and explore their targets."

I don't know if Methylene Blue alone is practical against Candida, as it seems to be a bit high concentration. Although it would be great to see its synergistic effect on MICs with niacinamide, aspirin and even allopathic antifungals. And if fungi do not effectively gain resistance to these substances, unlike conventional antifungals, but I don't find any good studies yet.

Last edited:

yerrag

Thanks.

Knowing MB can be used as an antifungal is a good starting point. Rightly or wrongly, I have been associating MB as an antibacterial against catalase-positive aerobic bacteria, given that it is effective against catalase-positive bacteria involved in UTI.

I can also use essential oils that contain significant amounts of esters (acetates) which are antifungal that may synergize with MB, so long as the essential oils aren't MAO-inhibitors (eg clove oil), which MB is.

golder

Thanks.

Knowing MB can be used as an antifungal is a good starting point. Rightly or wrongly, I have been associating MB as an antibacterial against catalase-positive aerobic bacteria, given that it is effective against catalase-positive bacteria involved in UTI.

I can also use essential oils that contain significant amounts of esters (acetates) which are antifungal that may synergize with MB, so long as the essential oils aren't MAO-inhibitors (eg clove oil), which MB is.
Which essential oils would you put in your top 3 for this purpose?

GTW

In vitro activity is a good starting point.
What are you saying about esters? Triglycerides are esters.
However many plant "oils" are terpenes/terpenoids. In some cases acids that decarboxylate to become alcohols. Cannabidiol in cannabis, kahweol in coffee for example.
Not sure that the fact of being carboxylic acid or alcohol or the combination forming esters is significant?

yerrag

Which essential oils would you put in your top 3 for this purpose?
Lavender
Ylang Ylang
Clary Sage
Geranium
Roman chamomile (not German chamomile)

If you look up each of them, their antifungal properties derive from having a form of acetate in their composition. A mix of these essential oils would usually make them more effective as antifungals.

yerrag

In vitro activity is a good starting point.
What are you saying about esters? Triglycerides are esters.
However many plant "oils" are terpenes/terpenoids. In some cases acids that decarboxylate to become alcohols. Cannabidiol in cannabis, kahweol in coffee for example.
Not sure that the fact of being carboxylic acid or alcohol or the combination forming esters is significant?
I am currently reading up on them. It is hard to throw every ester under one umbrella and make statements under one umbrella and say one can't be good because something in it's same class is bad.

I would just refer you to Kurt Schnaubelt's Advanced Aromatherapy: The Science of Essential Oil Therapy

GTW

Neem oil is considered antifungal.
Litsea cubeba oil said to be good for respiration and skin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals