Antibiotics for perioral dermatitis - how to take

Malia

Hi there,

My first post ?
I got a perioral dermatitis for now 20 years. It got better and worse over the years but I wasn’t able to get rid of it. I tried everything from not adding anything to the skin, different creams, adjusting food (no milk, no gluten,... you know it). Nothing really worked.
Over Xmas it got so bad, I didn’t want to go outside anymore. The dermatologist just gave me a erytromecyn cream - which never worked before. I asked for oral tetracycline - but she didn’t want to prescribe it. (Germany)

I almost cried and went during the holidays to a emergency doctor. She did t know how to treat it and asked me ? - so I finally ended up with doxycycline in a low dose. 100mg.
I was so happy and after 2 Days it already looked much better and now it’s gone. Completely.

But: I don’t know how long to really take it. Anybody here with experience? I read about taking it for 6 weeks, what seems very long for me. Also I feel like my gut is making problems. I am bloated and going to the Toilette is not pleasant anymore.
Could this be from the antibiotics? How can I best treat that?

Thanks ?

Rasaari

Take 2 hours away from calcium. If on empty stomach, take plenty of liquid and stay upright. Take with food for lesd irritation. In the first few days you will have a herx reaction, which is probably the cause for your immediate intestinal troubles. Take some aspirin, maybe something antiserotonin, and rest if needed. 100mg x6weeks is not too long.

OP
M

Malia

Take 2 hours away from calcium. If on empty stomach, take plenty of liquid and stay upright. Take with food for lesd irritation. In the first few days you will have a herx reaction, which is probably the cause for your immediate intestinal troubles. Take some aspirin, maybe something antiserotonin, and rest if needed. 100mg x6weeks is not too long.
Thank you ?