Antibiotics For H Pylori, Stomach Pain

Bluemachine

Has anyone ever taken antibiotics for h pylori & had waves of stomach gripes? It's right at the top where the aches & pains usually are. Just want to know whether it's working or if the antibiotics are just hurting my stomach

boris

Are you swallowing the pill whole? This can damage your stomach. With food without food? Amoxicillin or Penicillin, I would split a single dose into various doses throughout the day. Not swallow the pill whole, but chew it up good and wash it down with lots of juice or milk after a meal.

Don't chew tetracyclines (mono, doxy, tetra), although you probably don't get them for H.Pylori, they bind to calcium and could hurt your teeth.

OP
B

Bluemachine

Are you swallowing the pill whole? This can damage your stomach. With food without food? Amoxicillin or Penicillin, I would split a single dose into various doses throughout the day. Not swallow the pill whole, but chew it up good and wash it down with lots of juice or milk after a meal.

Don't chew tetracyclines (mono, doxy, tetra), although you probably don't get them for H.Pylori, they bind to calcium and could hurt your teeth.
Yes I was concerned about swallowing whole as I've heard ray mention this but hesitant to sway from taking them as prescribed. I'm taking erythromycin, not prescribed for h pylori but I suspect I have it & hope it's working to eradicate it

OP
B

Bluemachine

The thing that suggested to me it wasn't the potential issue you raised was I took a short course of antibiotics not long ago(penicillin) and did not have this stomach pain.

boris

How did it continue going for you @SwissFever?

I looked into H. Pylori recently and suspect that I have an overgrowth, too.

Erythromycin alone will not resolve it. To eradicate H. Pylori a combination of different antibiotics would be needed.

A popular treatment is called french triple therapy consisting of a proton pump inhibitor + Clarithromycin + Amoxicillin (there is a Peat quote in the email thread suggesting Erythromycin + Penicillin VK could work too).

That‘s per day for 10 days (morning and evening with about 12 hours inbetween doses):

ppi x 2
Amoxicillin 1000mg x 2
Clarithromycin 500mg x 2

Personally I would not take a proton pump inhibitor, they sound terribly dangerous. I will instead go for cyproheptadine.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bluemachine

How did it continue going for you @SwissFever?

I looked into H. Pylori recently and suspect that I have an overgrowth, too.

Erythromycin alone will not resolve it. To eradicate H. Pylori a combination of different antibiotics would be needed.

A popular treatment is called french triple therapy consisting of a proton pump inhibitor + Clarithromycin + Amoxicillin (there is a Peat quote in the email thread suggesting Erythromycin + Penicillin VK could work too).

That‘s per day for 10 days (morning and evening with about 12 hours inbetween doses):

ppi x 2
Amoxicillin 1000mg x 2
Clarithromycin 500mg x 2

Personally I would not take a proton pump inhibitor, they sound terribly dangerous. I will instead go for cyproheptadine.
I finished the full course, I don't know what was causing those awful stomach gripes but they did reside before finishing the course so I don't think it was an issue with the antibiotics themselves.

Perry Staltic

Personally I would not take a proton pump inhibitor, they sound terribly dangerous.

They do seem to be problematic. I just recently learned that some of them are serotonergic potentiators (Lansoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole). So taking a PPI with something like an SSRI, ginseng, some cough syrups, some anti-migraine meds, ACE inhibitor, nutmeg, turmeric, melatonin, etc. could put someone into trouble with serotonin toxicity.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals