Antibiotic recovery

cubbiebear

hi everyone, i'm a 24 yo male, and about two months ago i was on a 7 day round of cefuroxime\zinnat antibiotic to treat a sinus infection, prescribed by an e.n.t doctor. problem is i started to get non stop severe bloating ever since (my stomach looks pregnant), as well as acne on my face and chest and it isn't getting any better.
ive been on the peat diet for about two years and before this round of antibiotics my digestion was really good, so much that my stomach was flat and i could feel my abs, so it has to be because of the antibiotics.
my diet these days is: daily raw carrot, some coconut cream, egg, some cheese, chicken, beef, cooked mushrooms, fruits, some pickles, some coffee, occasional sea food, oj, and sometimes a redbull.
i also take don't take any supplements.
what can i do to recover from the antibiotics and repair and restore my gut health? and how long can it take? it seems to be a huge problem for me because my stomach is really inflamed.

Last edited:
T

TheBeard

What are you even talking about? Antibiotics are a tool for health. There are not something to recover from, they are something you need to take regularly to improve your gut health.

Ideally from the penicillin family.

Seba

hi everyone, i'm a 24 yo male, and about two months ago i was on a 7 day round of cefuroxime\zinnat antibiotic to treat a sinus infection, prescribed by an e.n.t doctor. problem is i started to get non stop severe bloating ever since (my stomach looks pregnant), as well as acne on my face and chest and it isn't getting any better.
ive been on the peat diet for about two years and before this round of antibiotics my digestion was really good, so much that my stomach was flat and i could feel my abs, so it has to be because of the antibiotics.
my diet these days is: daily raw carrot, some coconut cream, egg, some cheese, chicken, beef, cooked mushrooms, fruits, some pickles, some coffee, occasional sea food, oj, and sometimes a redbull.
i also take don't take any supplements.
what can i do to recover from the antibiotics and repair and restore my gut health? and how long can it take? it seems to be a huge problem for me because my stomach is really inflamed.

Try some Kefir , its much more potent than probiotics in pills, even if it has some drawbacks ( histamine, lactic acid), some on this forum reported good results for bloating.

What are you even talking about? Antibiotics are a tool for health. There are not something to recover from, they are something you need to take regularly to improve your gut health.

Obviously not always . Some can benefit from them, others can get microbiome problems as we see in his case.

T

TheBeard

Try some Kefir , its much more potent than probiotics in pills, even if it has some drawbacks ( histamine, lactic acid), some on this forum reported good results for bloating.

Obviously not always . Some can benefit from them, others can get microbiome problems as we see in his case.

Always, when used correctly, ie when taken in sufficient amounts for a sufficient amount of time, with proper iodine use to prevent candida overgrowth, and with a no fiber diet.

Yes, they are not something you just pop when you don't have a clue.

sweetpeat

Always, when used correctly, ie when taken in sufficient amounts for a sufficient amount of time, with proper iodine use to prevent candida overgrowth, and with a no fiber diet.

I'm curious about your protocol. I'm one of those who don't have a clue lol
Do you have it posted anywhere?

OP
C

cubbiebear

well i took 500mg twice a day for a week as doctor ordered. considering that my gut was doing fine and i only took it for the sinus infection it makes sense it caused problems. also isnt it a huge amount for the gut to handle? i mean when you take them regularly you take much smaller doses i suppose which wouldnt cause trouble indeed.

T

TheBeard

I'm curious about your protocol. I'm one of those who don't have a clue lol
Do you have it posted anywhere?

10 days of Augmentin 2 grams / day.
10 days Rifaximin 1 gram / day.
Full dropper of Lugol's iodine / day.
Flush your bowels with epsom salts once a week.
Zero fiber diet.

Repeat as necessary.

sweetpeat

Zero fiber diet.

Repeat as necessary.
Thank you for replying.
Wow, those are higher doses than I was expecting. Do you take doses all at once or divided?

peateats1

Zero fiber diet.

Repeat as necessary.
Sorry, but this is dangerous advice. I've personally had an overgrowth of enterobacter and had to take Bactrim for it because it wasn't susceptible to any other antibiotic.(other than ciprofloxin or levaquin)
In my case, augmentin would've increased enterobacter numbers and decreased/killed off less harmful flora. There are actual studies pointing to augmentin being able to increase levels of certain bacteria, so I'm not just making this up.

Also, rifaximin only targets specific strains as well and can end up causing a more severe overgrowth of "bad" bacteria.

You've got to know what specific bacteria or overgrowths you've got and what antibiotics and anti microbials they are sensitive to before you just start throwing random stuff down your gut. I could've taken 2 grams of augmentin each day for a month and it would've worsened my overall gut situation substantially.

Be careful what you put in your bodies people!!!!!

Austin Resch

Zero fiber diet.

Repeat as necessary.
Would frequent bouts of this exhaustive protocol not invariably exacerbate the proliferation of pathogenic antibiotic resistant strains?

It seems like the singular dietary advice of no fibre really leaves lots of room for failure in terms of not treating the root cause of the bacterial dysbiosis, hence why repeated uses may be thought of as necessary?

Sam321

This is really bad advice.

Sam321

Sorry, but this is dangerous advice. I've personally had an overgrowth of enterobacter and had to take Bactrim for it because it wasn't susceptible to any other antibiotic.(other than ciprofloxin or levaquin)
In my case, augmentin would've increased enterobacter numbers and decreased/killed off less harmful flora. There are actual studies pointing to augmentin being able to increase levels of certain bacteria, so I'm not just making this up.

Also, rifaximin only targets specific strains as well and can end up causing a more severe overgrowth of "bad" bacteria.

You've got to know what specific bacteria or overgrowths you've got and what antibiotics and anti microbials they are sensitive to before you just start throwing random stuff down your gut. I could've taken 2 grams of augmentin each day for a month and it would've worsened my overall gut situation substantially.

Agreed. I did the penecillin round and am still suffering. Turns out it was because I have methane sibo and penecillin is ***t against it.

Vins7

Perhaps that view of antibiotics is not applicable to everyone.
It seems that antibiotics have caused you some type of dysbiosis, possibly due to an overgrowth of fungi. Antibiotics only kill bacteria and this can create an opportunity for fungi to overgrow.

It's just a thought, I'm not saying it's your case.

Sam321

Get a SIBO laculose test and figure out what kind of sibo you might have. Then you can retreat with correct antibiotics.

Vins7

This seems to be a safer vision and protocol with antibiotics.

Vins7

And How can I know what specific bacteria ir overgrowth I have? I thought that most stool and microbiota tests are very unreliable.

peateats1

And How can I know what specific bacteria ir overgrowth I have? I thought that most stool and microbiota tests are very unreliable.
Mine showed up on a throat swab done at urgent care. Other than that and/or stool testing, the only thing I can think of is an endoscopy or a methane/hydrogen breath test.