Antibiotic (Keflex) Improving Sleep Dramatically

Sagitarrius90

Hello everyone

I've had an ingrown toenail for 3 years that was infected. Dont ask why I didnt get it checked years ago I'm too stubborn to go to the docs. Anyways I was prescribed keflex for the infection. Ever since I've taken it my sleeps are amazing!! I used to wake up every 2 3 hours but ever since the keflex I'm staying asleep for honestly 6-7 hours. Any idea why this is happening? I've never taken antibiotics in my life and I was super suspect that my guts messed up with just years of abuse (anti-depressants, prescription meds, not chewing thoroughly, high muscle meat diet I can go on forever)

Vinny

Dunno why it did this to you, but its interesting, thanks for sharing

D

danishispsychic

Keflex put me in the hospital ....if you are allergic to Penicillin don't touch it.

Mauritio

Serotonin inhibits sleep. I find it almost impossible to sleep when I have high endotoxin/ serotonin.

Minocycline helped ,but only for 2 nights so unfortunately it wasn't a long term solution.

jpgio

Every time I’ve ever taken antibiotics I’ve gotten the best sleep of my life for the entire length of the prescription. About 2-4 days after finishing them my sleep returns to normal. I think it’s a gut serotonin/endotoxin thing. But it is a VERY noticeable and profound effect.

Vinny

Every time I’ve ever taken antibiotics I’ve gotten the best sleep of my life for the entire length of the prescription. About 2-4 days after finishing them my sleep returns to normal. I think it’s a gut serotonin/endotoxin thing. But it is a VERY noticeable and profound effect.
That syggests, that you cant erase the bugs with courses and, eventually, you have to take them..... forever, right?

We should avoid all bacterial promoters,like starches or inedible stuff,
and what about the dairy?

Vinny

and what about the dairy?
I ditch it. It gives me constipation. Now I know where my lovely haemorrhoids are coming from. Problematic, detrimental food.

Tarmander

Some of the best sleep I’ve ever had was on light antibiotics, problem is going off them.

Would you mind mention chemical compound instead of brand name?

I ditch it. It gives me constipation. Now I know where my lovely haemorrhoids are coming from. Problematic, detrimental food.

Yes,dairy is problematic,and it isnt even controversial.
For gentle G.I. tract clean up, 2 to 3 raw garlic cloves to each meal.
Garlic is highly potent,antimicrobial,broad-band.

dfspcc20

Noticed the same with Keflex many years ago, when given it for a non-strep sore throat. Would fall asleep incredibly quickly, then wake up 7-8 hours later as if almost no time had passed (and being incredibly hungry). Keflex does have depression as a side-effect, though, which I can unfortunately confirm. That was the only time in my life I could say I had anything like depression.

@methylenewhite Keflex = cephalexin

Vinny

Yes,dairy is problematic,and it isnt even controversial.
For gentle G.I. tract clean up, 2 to 3 raw garlic cloves to each meal.
Garlic is highly potent,antimicrobial,broad-band.
Thanks

Ella

Forum Supporter
Hello everyone

I've had an ingrown toenail for 3 years that was infected. Dont ask why I didnt get it checked years ago I'm too stubborn to go to the docs. Anyways I was prescribed keflex for the infection. Ever since I've taken it my sleeps are amazing!! I used to wake up every 2 3 hours but ever since the keflex I'm staying asleep for honestly 6-7 hours. Any idea why this is happening? I've never taken antibiotics in my life and I was super suspect that my guts messed up with just years of abuse (anti-depressants, prescription meds, not chewing thoroughly, high muscle meat diet I can go on forever)

Hey @Nick Borcic I experienced the same. I ******* kick myself for not going on antibiotics sooner. Keflex treats infection inbedded in the tissue lining. Others don't. I didn't even suspect I was dealing with an infection until I started seeing bright red blood in the toilet bowl. I was waking up on the hour to pee, could not hold urine and have been sleep deprive for yonks. My energy levels sank to rock bottom middle of this year. I remember being normal Xmas 2018, then terribly unwell attributing to every possible reason except infection. I feel so stupid as I should of known better. Being post-menopausal you attribute every symptom to hormones.

I have elderly clients who I have been dealing with their UTIs, incontinence and antibiotics. Some cry and don't complete their course when prescribed antibiotics due to terrible reactions. I think it is due to being in a very depleted state to begin with. I have never taken any antibiotic since childhood so was expecting the worse. However, I felt instantly better and am able to finally sleep deeply through the night. I tried everything, increasing salt, packing glycogen into liver, progesterone, herbal, homeopathetic - nothing worked. I even kicked my husband (he is so wonderful) out to the spare room as I was so desperate for sleep. I was a mess. Hubby found a dr for me, made the appointment and held my hand. I was too weak to help myself. I thought it would take a miracle just to be able to sleep again. Keflex did it instantly, so, so grateful. I still have a way to go but feeling so much better. A good night sleep makes all the difference in being able to help one self.

I now keep a stash of antibiotics and will instantly recognise the symptoms if it happens again. I am trying to unpack why it happened in the first place.

Ella

Forum Supporter
depression as a side-effect, though, which I can unfortunately confirm.

Perhaps this is the reason my elderly women hate taking antibiotics. My depression lifted as soon as I started taking them. I felt my usual optimistic self and sure I would live to see another birthday even though I am facing some serious health issues. During the infectious state I was planning my funeral. I was sure I was dying.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Vinny have you done your Thyroid Panel yet? I think optimising thyroid and insulin are key. I have just upped my thyroid medication after seeing my latest results. I will retest once my body has had a chance to completely heal kidneys and bladder damage.

Vinny

Vinny have you done your Thyroid Panel yet? I think optimising thyroid and insulin are key. I have just upped my thyroid medication after seeing my latest results. I will retest once my body has had a chance to completely heal kidneys and bladder damage.
No, Ella, havent done Thyroid Panel yet.
I came in this forum becoz I suspected to be hypo, but lately I tend to think that my issues stem from other factors.
However, If I can pay the tests from my pocket, I,d be curious to see the results. Most probly they,ll show normal function. Besides, according dr Peat, upping the animal protein should benefit greatly most thyroid cases - something I,m doing now.

Ella

Forum Supporter
No, Ella, havent done Thyroid Panel yet.
I came in this forum becoz I suspected to be hypo, but lately I tend to think that my issues stem from other factors.
However, If I can pay the tests from my pocket, I,d be curious to see the results. Most probly they,ll show normal function. Besides, according dr Peat, upping the animal protein should benefit greatly most thyroid cases - something I,m doing now.

@Vinny you stated you had something like 40+ symptoms thus making a case for low functioning thyroid. I was hypothyroid possibly from childhood and for sure not eating adequate protein and calories and running on adrenaline. After the birth of my first child, I came down with chronic fatigue syndrome. I believe then I was also not eating adequate protein and pro-thyroid foods. Well definitely not red meat like lamb and beef. Mainly, chicken and fish, mainly salmon. No shellfish due to mercury scare mongering and milk and sugar were also poisons in my world view. I had put on a lot weight due to pregnancy and of course watching my calories and exercising to get the weight off.

To say my life was high stress leading up to menopause is an understatement. I don't think I ever experienced learned helplessness no matter what life threw out me. However, learned helplessness aptly describes my state of mind these past 6 months. The weakness was more than I've ever experienced. I managed to rebuild my body after my physical breakdown around 2010 and thankful I was able to heal and move my body again. I discovered Peat's work around this time. My TSH was around 2.5 and it was recommended by the endo + dr to start thyroid meds. I said no as I was determined and convinced that I could fix it by diet and lifestyle alone. There was much to fix as my lifestyle was a mess. My iron panel was a mess together with very low vitamin D. I wanted time to optimise these first. My dr said at the minimum it would help me lose the weight I had packed on. As for the Vitamin D issue, the dr informed me he had been trained under the British medical system and there was no connection between Vitamin D and thyroid function. I took this to mean that he was not trained in woo medicine. I was working a 7 day rotating shift under a high stress load and knew stress was greatly impacting my health - I never saw the sun. My circadian rhythms were a mess. Even when keeping regular working hours, I burnt the candle at both ends.

Since coming to this forum and changing my lifestyle and eating habits, I saw my TSH climb higher and higher. I was getting plenty protein, calories, fruit, sugar and dairy. However, I was losing weight rapidly. So when I was packing on the weight, my TSH was closer to so-called "normal" end of the spectrum but as I lost the weight my TSH climbed and climbed to dangerous levels. I was more than likely estrogen dominant when I was fat.

As the weight came off a whole suite of other symptoms manifested. Inability to regulate blood sugar being the most distressing. Infection is rarely discussed as a cause of dysregulated blood sugar.

My recent thyroid panel showed the TSH has come down (during the infection) but is still dangerously high. Now I don't know whether TSH may have been lower before the infection and increased during. I should have tested more often to know for certain. Dr was not worried about the high TSH as thyroid hormones were in range but agreed to an ultrasound. Well actually, I had to bully her for the ultrasound. I don't like bullying, but when she attributed it to a genetic cause, I could not restrain myself. She told me she was the doctor and she should know. I told her I was a scientist and if TSH is high it means there is an inflammatory process in place. If there are sky high antibodies then thyroid is inflamed and gods knows what else. This was a new GP and I tried extremely hard not to upset her.

The result of the ultrasound showed no vascularisation (means no inflammation that can be seen), no nodules, normal size, but hetergeneous echo texture of the thyroid parenchyme - non specific, may be a sequelae of thyroiditis. See I was right and lab advises further clinical correlation with thyroid function and markers. Well there you go, dr has every justification in monitoring thyroid function without fear. But ****, you need to have one foot in the grave for them to listen.

This dr actually gets a pat on the back for ordering TG & TPO antibodies without any pushing from me. Looks like this relationship might work out just fine. I am not going to risk asking to test for RT3 just in case I'm pushing my luck.

TG abs have normalised which was a surprise but TPO abs still elevated. So I will need to work harder on reducing these. Overall, I am happy with the results as I was expecting worse. Some hope has been restored.

On seeing these results, I decided to up my T4. I was supplementing T4/T3 but after seeing T3 at the higher end of the range decided to only supplement T4. My free T3 has always been at the higher end of the range which implies I must be well-fed and liver is able to convert T4- T3. Perhaps it means I need more iodine too and is the reason T4 depletes rapidly.

Iodine is cleaved from the T4 molecule giving T3 plus iodine. Both iodine and T3 having killing action. Peat has scared me off iodine and earlier experimentation confirms iodine supplementation for me not good. Yeah, it could be due to halogen dumping but symptoms are way too scary. Urine spot iodine test results have shown sufficient levels, but, is the test reliable? Who knows? There is no way I'm taking a 50mg dose like those iodine drs advocate.

I am still trying to understand the killing mechanism of thyroid hormones.

Studies from the 1960s suggested a role for thyroid hormone in the bacterial killing capacity of leukocytes. One of the major antibacterial mechanisms is the myeloperoxidase system, which exerts its antimicrobial effect in combination with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and a halide such as iodide. Thyroid hormones are an important source of iodide, and it was shown in 1964 that leukocytes take up and deiodinate T4, thereby generating inorganic iodide.34 In combination with the recent demonstration of D3 induction in infiltrating leukocytes during infection, it is tempting to speculate that D3 induction helps to generate iodide as part of the innate immune response (figure 3). Studies in S. pneumoniae-infected D3KO mice indeed showed a defective bacterial clearance compared with wild-type mice, which supports this hypothesis.13
http://www.njmonline.nl/getpdf.php?id=1058

My next panel I will include RT3 which earlier showed RT3 to be below the range and the lab told me this was a good thing. I think it means I was under dosing T4 and definitely no resistance in place. Even when supplementing only T4 my T3 was always at the top of the range. So I was eating enough carbohydrate/sugar for liver to make the conversion but not providing ample T4. So now I will supplement T4 until I start seeing a rise in RT3.

Vinny, I don't mean this to be about me. I only wanted to illustrate optimising thyroid is not a walk in the park. You need to test to know your baseline, otherwise you are in no man's land. As for temperature and pulse. Mine have always been good. Temperature in the beginning took time to come up and I thought I was doing well when hitting 37 - 37.3. I never felt well when temps went over 37. However, I now believe this was due to low grade fever from the infection. I seen these temps in other women suffering UTIs but never recognised it in myself. So it is scary to think what sort of pathogens people are dealing with when temps are not even able to reached 36.6 on a daily basis.

Peat has stated thyroid hormone enables you to make good use of protein, enabling you to eat less. Peat's views the ideal diet as protein predominantly coming from diary and fruit with liver and shellfish for trace minerals. However, with a low functioning thyroid even these ideal foods will be problematic.

Last edited:
@Vinny you stated you had something like 40+ symptoms thus making a case for low functioning thyroid. I was hypothyroid possibly from childhood and for sure not eating adequate protein and calories and running on adrenaline. After the birth of my first child, I came down with chronic fatigue syndrome. I believe then I was also not eating adequate protein and pro-thyroid foods. Well definitely not red meat like lamb and beef. Mainly, chicken and fish, mainly salmon. No shellfish due to mercury scare mongering and milk and sugar were also poisons in my world view. I had put on a lot weight due to pregnancy and of course watching my calories and exercising to get the weight off.

To say my life was high stress leading up to menopause is an understatement. I don't think I ever experienced learned helplessness no matter what life threw out me. However, learned helplessness aptly describes my state of mind these past 6 months. The weakness was more than I've ever experienced. I managed to rebuild my body after my physical breakdown around 2010 and thankful I was able to heal and move my body again. I discovered Peat's work around this time. My TSH was around 2.5 and it was recommended by the endo + dr to start thyroid meds. I said no as I was determined and convinced that I could fix it by diet and lifestyle alone. There was much to fix as my lifestyle was a mess. My iron panel was a mess together with very low vitamin D. I wanted time to optimise these first. My dr said at the minimum it would help me lose the weight I had packed on. As for the Vitamin D issue, the dr informed me he had been trained under the British medical system and there was no connection between Vitamin D and thyroid function. I took this to mean that he was not trained in woo medicine. I was working a 7 day rotating shift under a high stress load and knew stress was greatly impacting my health - I never saw the sun. My circadian rhythms were a mess. Even when keeping regular working hours, I burnt the candle at both ends.

Since coming to this forum and changing my lifestyle and eating habits, I saw my TSH climb higher and higher. I was getting plenty protein, calories, fruit, sugar and dairy. However, I was losing weight rapidly. So when I was packing on the weight, my TSH was closer to so-called "normal" end of the spectrum but as I lost the weight my TSH climbed and climbed to dangerous levels. I was more than likely estrogen dominant cominwhen I was fat

As the weight came off a whole suite of other symptoms manifested. Inability to regulate blood sugar being the most distressing. Infection is rarely discussed as a cause of dysregulated blood sugar.

My recent thyroid panel showed the TSH has come down (during the infection) but is still dangerously high. Now I don't know whether TSH may have been lower before the infection and increased during. I should have tested more often to know for certain. Dr was not worried about the high TSH as thyroid hormones were in range but agreed to an ultrasound. Well actually, I had to bully her for the ultrasound. I don't like bullying, but when she attributed it to a genetic cause, I could not restrain myself. She told me she was the doctor and she should know. I told her I was a scientist and if TSH is high it means there is an inflammatory process in place. If there are sky high antibodies then thyroid is inflamed and gods knows what else. This was a new GP and I tried extremely hard not to upset her.

The result of the ultrasound showed no vascularisation (means no inflammation that can be seen), no nodules, normal size, but hetergeneous echo texture of the thyroid parenchyme - non specific, may be a sequelae of thyroiditis. See I was right and lab advises further clinical correlation with thyroid function and markers. Well there you go, dr has every justification in monitoring thyroid function without fear. But ****, you need to have one foot in the grave for them to listen.

This dr actually gets a pat on the back for ordering TG & TPO antibodies without any pushing from me. Looks like this relationship might work out just fine. I am not going to risk asking to test for RT3 just in case I'm pushing my luck.

TG abs have normalised which was a surprise but TPO abs still elevated. So I will need to work harder on reducing these. Overall, I am happy with the results as I was expecting worse. Some hope has been restored.

On seeing these results, I decided to up my T4. I was supplementing T4/T3 but after seeing T3 at the higher end of the range decided to only supplement T4. My free T3 has always been at the higher end of the range which implies I must be well-fed and liver is able to convert T4- T3. Perhaps it means I need more iodine too and is the reason T4 is depletes rapidly.

Iodine is cleaved from the T4 molecule giving T3 plus iodine. Both iodine and T3 having killing action. Peat has scared me off iodine and earlier experimentation confirms iodine supplementation for me not good. Yeah, it could be due to halogen dumping but symptoms are way to scary. Urine spot iodine test results have shown sufficient levels, but, is the test reliable? Who knows? There is no way I'm taking a 50mg dose like those iodine drs advocate.

I am still trying to understand the killing mechanism of thyroid hormones.

Studies from the 1960s suggested a role for thyroid hormone in the bacterial killing capacity of leukocytes. One of the major antibacterial mechanisms is the myeloperoxidase system, which exerts its antimicrobial effect in combination with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and a halide such as iodide. Thyroid hormones are an important source of iodide, and it was shown in 1964 that leukocytes take up and deiodinate T4, thereby generating inorganic iodide.34 In combination with the recent demonstration of D3 induction in infiltrating leukocytes during infection, it is tempting to speculate that D3 induction helps to generate iodide as part of the innate immune response (figure 3). Studies in S. pneumoniae-infected D3KO mice indeed showed a defective bacterial clearance compared with wild-type mice, which supports this hypothesis.13
http://www.njmonline.nl/getpdf.php?id=1058

My next panel I will include RT3 which earlier showed RT3 to be below the range and the lab told me this was a good thing. I think it means I was under dosing T4 and definitely no resistance in place. Even when supplementing only T4 my T3 was always at the top of the range. So I was eating enough carbohydrate/sugar for liver to make the conversion but not providing ample T4. So now I will supplement T4 until I start seeing a rise in RT3.

Vinny, I don't mean this to be about me. I only wanted to illustrate optimising thyroid is not a walk in the park. You need to test to know your baseline, otherwise you are in no man's land. As for temperature and pulse. Mine have always been good. Temperature in the beginning took time to come up and I thought I was doing well when hitting 37 - 37.3. I never felt well when temps went over 37. However, I now believe this was due to low grade fever from the infection. I seen these temps in other women suffering UTIs but never recognised it in myself. So it is scary to think what sort of pathogens people are dealing with when temps are not even able to reached 36.6 on a daily basis.

Peat has stated thyroid hormone enables you to make good use of protein, enabling you to eat less. Peat's views the ideal diet as protein predominantly coming from diary and fruit with liver and shellfish for trace minerals. However, with a low functioning thyroid even these ideal foods will be problematic.

A lot of people,maybe most,cant handle milk,so you are actually starving.
All this very fast weightloss with some form of described healing crisis afterwards struck me as odd.
Meat should be the main Protein source,Milk is also contaminated with bacteria,people are talking fondly of
going to the WC 3 times a day with bulky stools,but i dont know.