Anti-Peat article on google

Same old arguments that have been debunked many times here on the forum. The author is pushing the unproven EFA theory (even going so far as to recommend fish oil) as well as the "sugar causes metabolic disease" myth.

She has some very clear bias against carbs, since she said:
"Our brains need fat-soluble vitamins and cholesterol for cognitive function, memory and proper nerve function. Most of us fuel our brains with glucose from carbohydrates but the long-term effects of carbohydrates for energy are damaging to our bodies. Too much glucose is not good for anyone. One reason is that both the heart and brain prefer fat as their fuel source. In fact, all cells require fat for proper structure and functioning."

I'm guessing more than a couple hundred grams of carbs is too much glucose in her eyes.

It's surprising that she paints people who didn't do well on a carnivore diet as "chronic dieters", after saying that people should do what works for them. Quite patronizing. I wonder if she thinks that the carnivore subreddit is great, since all the people who didn't do well get banned for "trolling". Check this paragraph from her:
"Many of the people that have moved from Carnivore to Ray Peat are frankly chronic dieters. They need an identity with a diet or group to belong to. I get it[...]"

She's right about SIBO producing gas from carbs, but low/ zero carbs doesn't work for a lot of people, plus methane/ hydrogen producing bacteria aren't the only bacteria that one should worry about. The sulfide- producers love sulfur containing substances, and protein( with its methionine and cysteine content) is a great source of it. So what are we gonna do if we follow that logic, stop eating protein too?

schultz

It appears she doesn't understand the things Ray writes about. I would encourage her to read more of his work and start going through some research papers on pubmed as well.

lampofred

She's being respectful and she did make an attempt to read his work as opposed to just saying "oh that guy says spam milk, ice cream, sugar, orange juice, he's a quack", so I respect her for that, but I don't think she doesn't get the big picture of how everything works together like Peat does. Peat's recommendations are misleadingly simplistic but everything has such a broad impact and are the result of decades of piecing everything together. You can't understand Peat's recommendations unless you know the importance of CO2 but unless you already know about Peat, you probably won't know about CO2.

I do agree with what she said about taking supplements/hormones is like playing God and should be avoided to the extent possible because you simply don't know the consequences.

Last edited:

Peatful

Two general thoughts:

1- great way to get traffic on your article to promote your new book
2- Judy probably has never been sick enough to understand nor implement Ray’s lifetime of work.
Her day will come....

5a-DHP

Typical case of someone arguing against their own incorrect interpretation of what someone else has said / wrote / thought - not what they actually said / wrote / thought.

bogbody

She has a vested financial interest in “debunking” Peat because she promotes and sells the carnivore diet, and many from the carnivore community have been recently jumping ship for Peat. It’s funny what she says about people needing to have an identity or group to belong to considering that of all the diet communities i have explored, carnivore seems to be the most cultish and “true believer” of all, whereas Peat’s philosophy is completely anti-authoritarian and about self-experimentation and thinking for yourself.

edited to add: she did all the illustrations for paul saladino's book and then had a public falling out with him when he started talking about PUFAs and eating honey. some people will change when presented with new info, but when people have staked their career on an ideology, they will typically just continue to double-down on it. that's why you have people like gary taubes continuing to beat carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis horse, etc.

Last edited:
M

metabolizm

Typical case of someone arguing against their own incorrect interpretation of what someone else has said / wrote / thought - not what they actually said / wrote / thought.

This.

cats

She's being respectful and she did make an attempt to read his work as opposed to just saying "oh that guy says spam milk, ice cream, sugar, orange juice, he's a quack", so I respect her for that, but I don't think she doesn't get the big picture of how everything works together like Peat does. Peat's recommendations are misleadingly simplistic but everything has such a broad impact and are the result of decades of piecing everything together. You can't understand Peat's recommendations unless you know the importance of CO2 but unless you already know about Peat, you probably won't know about CO2.

I do agree with what she said about taking supplements/hormones is like playing God and should be avoided to the extent possible because you simply don't know the consequences.
I don't think she actually was being respectful. I think she read just enough to give herself some material that she could criticize from the point of view of "Carnivore" while ignoring any parts that invalidated her arguments. The "respectful" bits were just to make herself appear to be arguing in good faith. A couple people challenged her in the comments and her responses to them avoided engaging with their arguments. She isn't interested in figuring things out. She's interested in protecting her business model from a threat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals