ANTI-FATIGUE EFFECT OF D-LIMONENE ON CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME IN MICE

I’m having trouble pasting the abstract from my phone. I really found this study to be interesting. I have been taking limonene now for a few weeks and am noticing it has been great for lowering stress. I think this study and several others help to explain why, it protects from LPO, and reverses fatty liver (at least in rodent studies).

http://www.ijipsr.com/sites/default/files/articles/IJIPSRMNR-604.pdf

Sativa

Limonene activates the 5-HT1A receptor, which releases oxytocin (bonding & trust hormone),& dampens all other serotonin receptor activity.
It is also a COX2 inhibitor, which allows endocannabinoid levels to rise (they are partly metabolized by COX2 enzyme)

Sativa

Wouldn't mind trying it. What's a good clean source?
any citrus essential oil.
grapefruit has the highest iirc; but it's not all about limonene - many other terpenes have desirable properties.
Lemon oil also contains pinene which itself activates 5-HT1A, and 'blocks' the nausea 5-HT3 site, just like limonene does.

Terpenes form a significant & common component of plant essential oils.
Terpenes are responsible for around 50% of the Cannabis plant's notoriously well-known psychoactive & medicinal/therapeutic effects.

Between 10% and 30% of Cannabis essential oil is composed of terpenes, which are aromatic molecules produced in the resin of the plant.
Most of the scents and smells that we associate with plants are the result of terpenes (and flavonoids). Conversely, cannabinoids do not have any aroma or smell. ~Marijuana terpenes and their effects - Alchimia blog
terpenes11-910x452.png

Last edited:

Sativa

So turpentine might be worth trying?
That's just common pine essential oil. I use it for my oil mixes.
It's got great therapeutic potential, as well as AChE inhibiting properties, which essentially = more acetylcholine which = 'nootropic' cognitive enhancing effect. Just one of many pharmacological properts it has... Lemon oil also has this effect, as do most cognitive enhancing substances/plants/etc.

Sativa

Some are cognitive enhancers, anti-inflammatory, opioid-ergics, GABA-ergics, serotonin lowering/modulating, glutamate modulators/reducers, dopamine enhancing/modulating... to name a few.
And there's even cannabinoids lol!
some studies i found, for some insight:

~Source: The cannabinoid CB2 receptor-selective phytocannabinoid beta-caryophyllene exerts analgesic effects in mouse models of inflammatory and neuropathic pain - ScienceDirect

The cannabinoid CB2 receptor-selective phytocannabinoid beta-caryophyllene
exerts analgesic effects in mouse models of inflammatory and neuropathic pain
-
Involvement of peripheral cannabinoid and opioid receptors in beta-caryophyllene-induced antinociception
Eur. J. Pain, 17 (2012), pp. 664-675

Sativa

I mean geeze, there's even the much adorned & loved salicylic acid molecule lol!
I love this 'wintergreen essential oil', useful for injury recoveries and... all the well-known aspirin/salicylic acid benefits that I learnt about thank's to RP et al.
Methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) is the methyl ester of salicylic acid.
It is a colorless, viscous liquid with a sweet odor. It is produced by many species of plants, particularly wintergreens.
Can't beat traditional remedies lol

Sativa

Least we forget the classic 'psychedelic' (or 'psychtropic') serotonin receptor site - 5-HT2A (a target of most common psychedelics) - and also the common terpene Citral. Other useful 'cool' systems activated/modulated also... like the 'TRP' family... but the winner must be stimulation of BDNF aka brain neurogenesis. (btw, this implies most 'HT2A psychedelics' also promote neurogenesis.)

Finally, the anti-nociceptive action of citral was found to involve significant activation of the 5-HT2A serotonin receptor. The effect of citral was accompanied by a gastro-protective effect against NSAID-induced ulcers.
Together, these results show the potential of citral as a new drug for the treatment of pain.

Citral...present in the essential oils of several medicinal plants.
The aim of this work was to evaluate the effects of orally administered citral in experimental models of acute and chronic nociception, inflammation, and gastric ulcers caused by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
Oral treatment with citral significantly inhibited the neurogenic and inflammatory pain responses induced by intra-plantar injection of formalin.
Citral also had prophylactic and therapeutic anti-nociceptive effects against mechanical hyperalgesia in plantar incision surgery, chronic regional pain syndrome, and partial ligation of sciatic nerve models, without producing any significant motor dysfunction.
In addition, citral markedly attenuated the pain response induced by intra-plantar injection of glutamate and
-
Citral, a bioactive component of lemongrass, is commonly used as a taste enhancer, as an odorant in perfumes, and as an insect repellent. Here we report that citral activates TRP channels found in sensory neurons (TRPV1 and TRPV3, TRPM8, and TRPA1), and produces long-lasting inhibition of TRPV1–3 and TRPM8, while transiently blocking TRPV4 and TRPA1.
The 'directly related molecules' (neral, nerol, geranial, and geraniol) each reproduce citral's actions.

Last edited:

LeeLemonoil

@Sativa

Nice post. Many people appreciate the effectivity of essential oils and as of 2019, what was previously debunked as esoterics can now be proven by plausible biochemic mechanisms.
And the few you mentioned are only mono- and diterpenes. There are also more complex substances like sesquiterpenes and still others. Tree barks, mushrooms all are full of those. Peat likes Rhodesia sadly seems a bit ignorant of EOs. Essential oils are plant hormones, concentrated plant immune-system-compounds. Free available to help our own physiology.

Sativa

Terpenes are also major biosynthetic building blocks.
Steroids, for example, are derivatives of the triterpene Squalene.

Squalene aka cholesterol precursor.

...the tri-terpene 'Amyrins' are especially notable ;)

Sativa

Activation of the serotonin site 5-HT2A stimulates BDNF, like Nicotinamide, CoQ10 or Theanine.
A really cool thing was Nicotinamide restored mRNA and actual protein levels of BDNF, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which were lowered in the HD-type mice, back to essentially normal levels.

...BDNF expression is significantly enhanced by environmental enrichment and appears to be the primary source of environmental enrichments ability to enhance cognitive processes.
Environmental enrichment enhances synaptogenesis, dendridogenesis, and neurogenesis, leading to improved performance on various learning and memory tasks.
BDNF mediates more pathways involved in these enrichment-induced processes than any other molecule
and is strongly regulated by calcium activity making it incredibly sensitive to neuronal activity.

Last edited:

Sativa

whats the best EO for libido?
No idea.
Since all biological systems are interconnected, logically it would be whatever oils have a beneficial effect on androgenic areas & steroidogenesis, implying anti-cortisol, pro-dopamine, COX inhibitory & pro-BDNF actions...
Androgenic implies pro-cholesterol, which implies squalEne (or squalAne) aka cholesterol precursor...

Go forth and connect the dots yourself, using your extensive insight of ray peat strategic mechanisms, combined with some tactful googling lol
eg. You should know fully how aspirin/salicylic acid & progesterone work (highly detailed insights on this forum, and my posts); well - simply look for identical/complementary mechanisms in oil components (eg terpenes etc).

I wrote a post weeks ago about how to mimic progesterone's pharmacology.

Last edited:

Runenight201

any citrus essential oil.
grapefruit has the highest iirc; but it's not all about limonene - many other terpenes have desirable properties.
Lemon oil also contains pinene which itself activates 5-HT1A, and 'blocks' the nausea 5-HT3 site, just like limonene does.

Terpenes form a significant & common component of plant essential oils.
Terpenes are responsible for around 50% of the Cannabis plant's notoriously well-known psychoactive & medicinal/therapeutic effects.

Between 10% and 30% of Cannabis essential oil is composed of terpenes, which are aromatic molecules produced in the resin of the plant.
Most of the scents and smells that we associate with plants are the result of terpenes (and flavonoids). Conversely, cannabinoids do not have any aroma or smell. ~Marijuana terpenes and their effects - Alchimia blog
terpenes11-910x452.png

I have been drinking lemon lime seltzer water and have found that it is far and away vastly more potent compared to normal drinking no water. Surely they are adding the lemon lime oil into the drink to give it its flavor, and it is this flavor that is so therapeutic for me. I feel occurring simultaneously an instant brightening of my cognition, alleviation of digestive blockage, hydration of the body, and increase in overall sense of well-being. Normal water doesn’t even come close. I do think the seltzer water adds a therapeutic component as well, as I don’t get quite the same effects from lemon juice mixed with water. The carbonation helps.

Sativa

I either smell, smoke or encapsulate my aromatic terpenes.
I work with nearly all of the common terpenes, and some more exotic one's too.
The common aromatic aldehyde's are useful for basic organic chemistry... especially cinnamaldehyde (a neat adrenergic stimulant)... eg Caffeine + Cinnamaldehyde = new molecule.
I tried this with the free Nitrogen in Ketamine, and the result was interesting.
For each Cinnamaldehyde that attaches (to the free nitrogen) the bio-availability increases like 2 to 3 fold!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals