Anti-cortisol/estrogen/serotonin That DOESN'T Worsen Constipation?

Zpol

I've got a host of problems that I've written about on this forum including a new one which is a sub-clinical virus of some sort. From responses here and from my own research, I've gathered that cortisol, estrogen, and serotonin are the biggest aggravators of my illnesses, others like endotoxin, and NO may also be causing problems. It seems like all the things that help these issues simultaneously cause constipation...
cypro
carrot salad
mushrooms (because they are highly fermentable by gut bacteria)
activated charcoal
famotidine?

Am I missing something here? I thought that any bit of constipation would worsen health and yet many claim that these things have been so beneficial.

Hans

Forum Supporter
5-HT3 antagonism is pretty good against constipation, so ginger might be effective. Magnesium might help. Bile will also help (bile is a laxative in the colon).

OP
Zpol

Zpol

5-HT3 antagonism is pretty good against constipation
Thanks. Metergoline has been on my radar. I haven't tried it though because I haven't been able to find information on dosage and administration best. I've reread the Metergoline thread, looks like hit or miss for most people, although @haidut seems to favor it a bit over cypro.

Pointless

Cascara should help with constipation and all the other issues you mentioned

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Cascara should help with constipation and all the other issues you mentioned
Lolz... I should have put in my OP I already take 1600mg CS per day. Sometimes that's not even enough though. My guts are extra stubborn.

haidut

Forum Supporter
5-HT3 antagonism is pretty good against constipation

Actually, in my experience the 5-HT3 antagonists can cause constipation quite reliably when used in higher doses. These drugs were invented to treat diarrhea (among other things), so it would be expected for them to cause constipation as a side effect.
Effect of ondansetron, a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, on fatigue in chronic hepatitis C: a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled study
"...Participants were recruited between November 2002 and December 2003. Eligible CHC patients experiencing fatigue (VAS >4) were randomised in a double blind manner to receive ondansetron orally 4 mg twice daily or placebo for four weeks. Constipation is an expected side effect of ondansetron that may interfere with fatigue or quality of life."

If you Google "ondansetron constipation" you will get a ton of reports and discussions about how anything over the 4mg dose, and even the 4mg dose, caused issues. Given that the anti-depressant, anti-endotoxin and pro-metabolic effects of ondansetron are seen in 1mg-3mg dose ranges, I don't see a reason to use more than 2mg daily. Peat even recommends no more than 1mg unless a person has serious health issues.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Actually, in my experience the 5-HT3 antagonists can cause constipation quite reliably when used in higher doses. These drugs were invented to treat diarrhea (among other things), so it would be expected for them to cause constipation as a side effect.
Effect of ondansetron, a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, on fatigue in chronic hepatitis C: a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled study
"...Participants were recruited between November 2002 and December 2003. Eligible CHC patients experiencing fatigue (VAS >4) were randomised in a double blind manner to receive ondansetron orally 4 mg twice daily or placebo for four weeks. Constipation is an expected side effect of ondansetron that may interfere with fatigue or quality of life."

If you Google "ondansetron constipation" you will get a ton of reports and discussions about how anything over the 4mg dose, and even the 4mg dose, caused issues. Given that the anti-depressant, anti-endotoxin and pro-metabolic effects of ondansetron are seen in 1mg-3mg dose ranges, I don't see a reason to use more than 2mg daily. Peat even recommends no more than 1mg unless a person has serious health issues.

Thanks for clarifying this. I had to go back and re-read about the various serotonin receptors to understand what @Salmonamb meant. I think he/she was thinking Metergoline, but that 5-HT3 is the one that Metergoline does not antagonize.

Wolf

.5mg Odansetron is right where the constipation begins for me. Any more than that and it creeps up.
I'm probably gonna make a liquid suspension and try to continually dose 0.10mg-0.20mg daily.

DrJ

Caprylic acid. It's a constituent of coconut oil, but I take the caprylic acid pills and it has been a big help for my digestive system and serotonin symptoms. Second the cascara sagrada for constipation and also reducing serotonin symptoms.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Caprylic acid. It's a constituent of coconut oil, but I take the caprylic acid pills and it has been a big help for my digestive system and serotonin symptoms. Second the cascara sagrada for constipation and also reducing serotonin symptoms.

Great to hear this! Frankly, I thought caprylic acid was just for Candida. But after reading your post I looked into it more and there's much more benefit than just the anti fungal use. Thanks!

Hans

Forum Supporter

Yeah your right. Sorry I got confused somewhere. 5-HT4 agonist is used to treat constipation.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Yeah your right. Sorry I got confused somewhere. 5-HT4 agonist is used to treat constipation.
no worries. In fact, in the process of looking up 5HT3 I learned about several of the other serotonin receptors too, so all good. Thanks for your response.

@anyfit thank you for clarifying.

freyasam

I'm in the same boat. It seems like everything I take to address some problem causes constipation. Cascara doesn't help that much if I take it everyday; it loses its effectiveness.

DesertRat

With a similar list of symptoms, I've been suspicious of the role of serotonin -- e.g. not sure everyone is high in the gut. Maybe some of us are low even if levels are normal or high elsewhere. I know if I get excessive exercise, or excessive stress, it will raise gut serotonin and give me diarrhea. That makes me think that maybe my baseline tends to be low. Some things that help, not all Peaty -- coffee, magnesium, lots of Vitamin C -- but one thing to determine is whether your constipation is arising from an allergic reaction in the gut, or from low energy in the muscles that create peristalsis, or from over-absorption of water from the g.i. tract -- and your solution has to try to address the cause.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

I've been suspicious of the role of serotonin -- e.g. not sure everyone is high in the gut. Maybe some of us are low even if levels are normal or high elsewhere.
Good point.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals