Anti-Caking Agent in Taurine

OP
S

sm1693

Silicon Dioxide in Supplemental Taurine

Use of supplemental taurine was causing me considerable problems that were hard to trace, but eventually I pinpointed it to taurine . The additive, silicon dioxide, appears to be in all commercial taurine powder (see "impurities" section below from ncbi). RP strongly recommends against consuming it.

"…people taking supplements should be very careful to avoid anything with particles such as titanium dioxide or silica. […] And those things getting into the bloodstream trigger the stress hormones, and obesity is the least of the things they contribute to." -Ray Peat

"I did a quick reading and it seems like there is a consensus on danger of inhaled nanoparticles of titanium dioxide and silica( silicon dioxide). They are not sure about effect of ingested nanoparticles.
"Although TiO2 is permitted as an additive (E171) in food and pharmaceutical products we do not have reliable data on its absorption, distribution, excretion and toxicity on oral exposure" -- Titanium dioxide in our everyday life; is it safe?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3423755/
Another quote from wikipedia on silica "Inhaling finely divided crystalline silica dust in very small quantities (OSHA allows 0.1 mg/m3) over time can lead to silicosis, bronchitis, or cancer, as the dust becomes lodged in the lungs and continuously irritates them, reducing lung capacities.[36" -- wikipedia" -Mittir

Impurities
Taurine is a white crystalline powder that is almost odourless but with a slightly acidic taste. It contains by specification at least 98.0 % taurine in dried substance. Analysis of five batches of the active substance showed an average content of 99.5 +/- 0.1 % taurine and a loss on drying of 0.07 +/- 0.01 %.11 The final additive may be formulated by adding a maximum 0.8 % of an anti-caking agent (SiO2). Three batches of the additive were analysed for impurities, one batch with six replicate samples and another batch with three replicate samples. In all batches, sulphated ash was < 0.06 % (in one batch residue on ignition 0.06 %), chloride < 0.01 %, sulphate < 0.01 %, ammonium salt < 0.02 %, related substances < 0.2 %, heavy metals (expressed as lead) < 10 mg/kg and arsenic < 1.0 mg/kg (two batches).
European Food Safety Authority (EFSA); EFSA Journal 10 (6): 2736 (2012). Available from, as of August 19, 2014: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/2736.pdf

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun ... ufacturing

OP
S

sm1693

narouz said:
Good to know!
So...all taurine has it added...?

No, not necessarily. But it's very hard to tell.

I've looked at 3-4 different COA for taurine and it doesn't show anything about silicon dioxide on them, but they say 99% purity and don't necessarily say what the last 1% is. So maybe it has it and maybe it doesn't.

The one I got from bulksupp kills my metabolism immediately after ingestion.

If this is correct, then a peatarian won't need to supplement regardless:

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... urine.html

Food Amount Taurine (mg)
Cheese 3 ounces 1000
Cheese,cottage 1 cup 1700
Milk,whole 1 cup 400
Yogurt 1 cup 400
Wild game 3 ounces 600
Pork 3 ounces 540
Granola 1 cup 650
Oatmeal flakes 1 cup 500
Chocolate 1 cup 400
Meat (luncheon) 1 cup 390
Wheat germ,toasted 1/4 cup 350
Egg 1 (medium size) 350
Turkey 3 ounces 240
Duck 3 ounces 240
Chicken 3 ounces 185
Sausage 3 ounces 185
Avocado 1/2 (medium) 75
Table 1:Taurine content of selected foodstuff (USDA Handbook Number 8)

narouz

Yeah...that makes a lot of sense.
The thing is
I like taurine's seeming ability
to knock out heart palpitations.
Not always, but often.
I haven't noticed the anti-metabolic effects, personally.

Maybe it's not the silica.
Maybe you just don't need taurine...?

OP
S

sm1693

narouz said:
The thing is
Not always, but often.

I think I do not need supplemental taurine, but I would like the option of a pure source of supplemental taurine if I choose to use it in the future.

There's no denying that corporations do whatever is the easiest way to make the most money. SiO2 makes it much easier for them to work with the powdered taurine. The burden of proof is on the supplement companies to prove they don't add silicon to their taurine.

narouz

sm1693 said:
narouz said:
The thing is
Not always, but often.

I think I do not need supplemental taurine, but I would like the option of a pure source of supplemental taurine if I choose to use it in the future.

There's no denying that corporations do whatever is the easiest way to make the most money. SiO2 makes it much easier for them to work with the powdered taurine. The burden of proof is on the supplement companies to prove they don't add silicon to their taurine.

Oh yes...I agree.

OP
S

sm1693

https://liftmode.com/media/wysiwyg/anal ... 102013.pdf

This certificate of analysis for this brand of taurine, with an assay of 99.6%, is the highest I've seen after looking at 9-10 taurine coa's.

Take into account this ncbi quote:
"The final additive may be formulated by adding a maximum 0.8 % of an anti-caking agent (SiO2)"
http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun ... ufacturing

I would guess that with only 0.4% left after taking the assay into account, it would be hard to squeeze any SiO2 in there...

It would be nice if there was more info and standardization on the coa's, but honestly, it's a blessing that they even exist in the first place.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom