Anti-Aging Breakthrough: Detoxing Body of Harmful Fat By-Products To Extend Lifespan

Ras

The study discussed here presents evidence that clearing the body of the fat byproducts glycerol and glyceraldehyde could lead to an increased lifespan.

In light of those data, a supplement that comes to mind is dihydromyricetin, which causes the body to produce more alcohol dehydrogenase and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, and to boost their activities.

Comstock

Any practical diet based suggestions as a result? Avoid fats? Anything food based that reduces glycerol?

Lejeboca

The study discussed here presents evidence that clearing the body of the fat byproducts glycerol and glyceraldehyde could lead to an increased lifespan.

I am confused: The thread below also has solid study referenced and says that glycerol is rather beneficial.

I'd venture to say that rotifers in the 'glycerol' paper from that thread are closer to mammals than C.elegans from the OP's paper, albeit the latter paper has an entire section on how its results on C.elegans are transferable to other species.

The OP paper claims that "[alcohol dehydrogenase] ADH-1 is necessary and sufficient to promote longevity". I guess, once you have ADH working you will live happily thereafter. :cool: And "ADH-1 promotes longevity by reducing glycerol toxicity". For the "toxicity", the authors reference "glycerol had previously been shown to reduce lifespan [31]".
[31] Glucose shortens the life span of C. elegans by downregulating DAF-16/FOXO activity and aquaporin gene expression - PubMed

Perhaps, it all works if glucose is bad in C.elegans only?

LadyRae

Unfortunately I'm not going to pay to read the entire article but in the discussion all it says is "putting the spurs" to AMAR.

So, how exactly are they stimulating alpha dehydrogenase in the worms?

Update: I bought dyhydromyricetin capsules on Amazon just now. According to the reviews it's most commonly used to prevent hangover... consensus says it works.

You can also buy bulk powder for cheaper, but it's the consistency of flour so unless you have an encapsulation tray it might be difficult to use as people complain it doesn't dissolve well in water...

I don't drink alcohol anymore, but I'll update this thread with my impressions.... I wonder what it can do for sleep duration??🤔

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Lejeboca

@LadyRae here is the article. Got it through workplace.
Tell more details, please, re: sleep duration problem.

Attachments

• adhAntiGlecyrol-1-s2.0-S0960982223001288-main.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

youngsinatra

@charlie

The fact that this is a flavonoid makes me suspicious. Most things that increase ALDH are toxic themselves so the the body‘s detoxification (in this case ALDH) ramps up to get rid of the ingested substance.

There has been a lot of search for a product that enhances ALDH for hangovers, and some natural products (like the fruit pear) have increase ALDH by like 65%, but then I figured out that pears are high in aldehydes, so might point out to the point I made beforehand.

It‘s an interesting and perhaps promising compound, especially for those with hepatotoxicity. I‘ll read more on it.

The best thing for ALDH is probably making sure you are not excessively slowing it down. There a lots of things that slow that enzyme down. Slowing down ALDH typically improves symptoms by slowing down detoxification.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter

In light of those data, a supplement that comes to mind is dihydromyricetin, which causes the body to produce more alcohol dehydrogenase and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, and to boost their activities.

NAD+ is the required cofactor for both enzymes, which is why I mentioned on several podcasts with Danny taking niacinamide (and B1) as a remedy for hangover. So, no need to spend a lot of money on more exotic flavones/flavanones such as dihydromyricetin.
Androgens increase the actual expression of both ALD and ALDH, and so does T3, while estrogens reduce it. Older studies with animals showed that castration makes the male animals get drunk quite easily while restoration of androgens (in males) and/or aromatase inhibition made them quite resilient to alcohol. The naturally lower androgens and relatively higher estrogens in females explain their well-known lower tolerance to alcohol. Menopause (a state of relative estrogen dominance) is also known to strongly reduce female tolerance for alcohol. I also mentioned on Danny's shows using exemestane and/or strong androgens (for males) to prevent completely a hangover after heavy drinking, or quickly remedy it the next day after it has already set in.
So, for anti-aging purposes I think taking some niacinamide should be enough. For people who have/had elevated estrogen for a while, blocking estrogen at the receptor levels (e.g. progesterone) and/or taking an aromatase inhibitor may be worth considering until the mRNA levels of ALD/ALDH recover. Apigenin/naringenin also increase ALD/ALDH expression and are usually cheaper than dihydromyricetin, but if you can find the latter at a good price then I don't see a problem with using it. @LadyRae @Lejeboca @youngsinatra @charlie