Anti-acid Drugs (ppi) May Cause Dementia

haidut

Forum Supporter
The so-called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI) are second generation anti-acid drugs that replaced the much safer first generation H2 antagonists like fomotidine, ranitidine, cimetidine, etc. The PPIs are really bad drugs that should have never been approved considering that they provably cause atrophic gastritis and consequently gastric cancer. In addition, they are estrogenic, raise prolactin and thin the bones decades before osteopenia is supposed to kick in. Now, this study shows that taking PPI drugs is probably a causative factor in developing dementia and derivative conditions like Alzheimer disease and thus avoiding the PPI is advisable.

Proton Pump Inhibitors and Risk of Dementia

"...Results A total of 73 679 participants 75 years of age or older and free of dementia at baseline were analyzed. The patients receiving regular PPI medication (n = 2950; mean [SD] age, 83.8 [5.4] years; 77.9% female) had a significantly increased risk of incident dementia compared with the patients not receiving PPI medication (n = 70 729; mean [SD] age, 83.0 [5.6] years; 73.6% female) (hazard ratio, 1.44 [95% CI, 1.36-1.52]; P < .001).
Conclusions and Relevance The avoidance of PPI medication may prevent the development of dementia. This finding is supported by recent pharmacoepidemiological analyses on primary data and is in line with mouse models in which the use of PPIs increased the levels of β-amyloid in the brains of mice. Randomized, prospective clinical trials are needed to examine this connection in more detail."

Spondive

I'm listening..pretty scary stuff..initially when they came out they were supposed to be used only for a short period of time like 2-4 weeks, now I see people on them continuously for years

aguilaroja

Kudos for the reference.

There is continues to be accumulating information about side effects of PPI's, including a recent article about increased risk for chronic kidney disease.
Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and the Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease. - PubMed - NCBI
"Proton pump inhibitor use is associated with a higher risk of incident CKD."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160111135035.htm

With insight from Dr. Peat's work, the known association of PPI with low serum magnesium may be one factor in metabolic impairment.
Hypomagnesemia Induced by Long-Term Treatment with Proton-Pump Inhibitors
"Hypomagnesemia Induced by Long-Term Treatment with Proton-Pump Inhibitors"

PPI's may impair vascular function and increase cardiovascular risk. So it is consistent that circulation to the brain as well as the heart might be at risk.
Proton Pump Inhibitor Usage and the Risk of Myocardial Infarction in the General Population
"Consistent with our pre-clinical findings that PPIs may adversely impact vascular function, our data-mining study supports the association of PPI exposure with risk for MI in the general population."

The list of associated risks with PPI's is getting longer, with more research evidence.
"...observed adverse effects include increased risk of kidney disease, hypomagnesemia, infections, cardiovascular events, and fractures."
Adverse Effects Associated With Proton Pump Inhibitors. - PubMed - NCBI
Adverse Effects Associated With Proton Pump Inhibitors – The Daily Dose

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Kudos for the reference.

There is continues to be accumulating information about side effects of PPI's, including a recent article about increased risk for chronic kidney disease.
Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and the Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease. - PubMed - NCBI
"Proton pump inhibitor use is associated with a higher risk of incident CKD."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160111135035.htm

With insight from Dr. Peat's work, the known association of PPI with low serum magnesium may be one factor in metabolic impairment.
Hypomagnesemia Induced by Long-Term Treatment with Proton-Pump Inhibitors
"Hypomagnesemia Induced by Long-Term Treatment with Proton-Pump Inhibitors"

PPI's may impair vascular function and increase cardiovascular risk. So it is consistent that circulation to the brain as well as the heart might be at risk.
Proton Pump Inhibitor Usage and the Risk of Myocardial Infarction in the General Population
"Consistent with our pre-clinical findings that PPIs may adversely impact vascular function, our data-mining study supports the association of PPI exposure with risk for MI in the general population."

The list of associated risks with PPI's is getting longer, with more research evidence.
"...observed adverse effects include increased risk of kidney disease, hypomagnesemia, infections, cardiovascular events, and fractures."
Adverse Effects Associated With Proton Pump Inhibitors. - PubMed - NCBI
Adverse Effects Associated With Proton Pump Inhibitors – The Daily Dose

Thank you for these links. I think even the single fact that they can elevate prolactin (and this would explain the osteopenia from them) should give any male/female a pause since they would mean they raise estrogen as well. If the PPI drugs are pro-prolactin and estrogenic and cause bone loss than the whole concept of using estrogen for osteoporosis is becoming that much more untenable.
Hyperprolactinaemia induced by proton pump inhibitor. - PubMed - NCBI

I know the above is only one case, but the discussed mechanisms apply to everyone.

Thanks Haduit. My husband was taking Pariet and I noticed a significant decline in his overall robust / health state. I will show him this!

Hugh Johnson

We have a safe and generally beneficial drug to lower stomach acid, famotidine, yet it is replaced with something damaging and dangerous. We have a safe and generally beneficial way of lowering cholesterol, T3, and it is replaced with statins. We have a safe and generally beneficial way of lowering inflammation, aspirin, and it is replaced with Burana and other drugs that inhibit respiration. Strength training replaced by jogging, SFA by PUFA, dopaminergic drugs by serotonergic drugs, sugar with starch, low fat diet with low carb diet...

I just want to know why. It's like it's planned. How could you possibly keep doing it this consistently?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
We have a safe and generally beneficial drug to lower stomach acid, famotidine, yet it is replaced with something damaging and dangerous. We have a safe and generally beneficial way of lowering cholesterol, T3, and it is replaced with statins. We have a safe and generally beneficial way of lowering inflammation, aspirin, and it is replaced with Burana and other drugs that inhibit respiration. Strength training replaced by jogging, SFA by PUFA, dopaminergic drugs by serotonergic drugs, sugar with starch, low fat diet with low carb diet...

I just want to know why. It's like it's planned. How could you possibly keep doing it this consistently?

Most of it is planned but not all of it is malicious. A good portion of it is just cost cutting and plain stupidity. SFA is more expensive to produce than PUFA, starch is cheaper than sugar (even if it is GMO), plant protein is cheaper than animal protein (on average), etc. Some of it is indeed pure evil. The serotonergic drugs are the culmination of centuries-old quest to tranquilize the masses so they are easier to control. If you look at some of the original studies on serotonin as an "antidepressant" form the 1970s they explicitly say that SSRI have the potential to completely negate the impulsiveness and unpredictability of human nature. Remember, most business models consist of nothing more than selling certainty in an uncertain world. So, if you have something that could make humans predictable then it is a treasure for any government and businessman. Science has been a business since the industrial revolution, so like a business and unlike science it likes certainty even when there is none.

Hugh Johnson

"Negation is a human function that would stop the free advance of life and consciousness, opposing critical questioning and spontaneous understanding. "

- Ray Peat

Makes sense. Thanks Haidut.

Beatrix_

Updates

Proton pump inhibitors act with unprecedented potencies as inhibitors of the acetylcholine biosynthesizing enzyme—A plausible missing link for their association with incidence of dementia

Abstract
Introduction

Several pharmacoepidemiological studies indicate that proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) significantly increase the risk of dementia. Yet, the underlying mechanism is not known. Here, we report the discovery of an unprecedented mode of action of PPIs that explains how PPIs may increase the risk of dementia.

Methods
Advanced in silico docking analyses and detailed enzymological assessments were performed on PPIs against the core-cholinergic enzyme, choline-acetyltransferase (ChAT), responsible for biosynthesis of acetylcholine (ACh).

Results
This report shows compelling evidence that PPIs act as inhibitors of ChAT, with high selectivity and unprecedented potencies that lie far below their in vivo plasma and brain concentrations.

Discussion
Given that accumulating evidence points at cholinergic dysfunction as a driving force of major dementia disorders, our findings mechanistically explain how prolonged use of PPIs may increase incidence of dementia. This call for restrictions for prolonged use of PPIs in elderly, and in patients with dementia or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Proton pump inhibitors and dementia: A nationwide population-based study

Abstract
Introduction
: Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) may increase dementia risk. However, it is currently unknown whether timing of exposure or age at dementia diagnosis influence the risk.

Methods: We assessed associations between cumulative PPI use and dementia at different ages in a nationwide Danish cohort of 1,983,785 individuals aged 60 to 75 years between 2000 and 2018.

Results: During follow-up, there were 99,384 all-cause dementia incidences. Incidence rate ratio (IRR) of dementia with PPI ever-use compared with never-use was 1.36 (95% CI, 1.29 to 1.43) for age 60 to 69 years at diagnosis, 1.12 (1.09 to 1.15) for 70 to 79 years, 1.06 (1.03 to 1.09) for 80 to 89 years, and 1.03 (0.91 to 1.17) for 90+ years. Longer treatment duration yielded increasing IRRs. For cases below 90 years, increased dementia rate was observed regardless of treatment initiation up to >15 years before diagnosis.

Discussion: Regardless of timing of treatment initiation, PPI use was associated with increased dementia rate before age 90 years. Dementia rates increased with younger age at diagnosis.

Highlights: After following 1,983,785 individuals for a median of 10 years, 99,384 developed dementia PPIs were used by 21.2% of cases and 18.9% of controls PPI use was associated with increased dementia rate regardless of time of treatment onset Magnitude of associations increased with younger age at diagnosis PPI use was not associated with dementia occurring after age 90 years.

Keywords: Alzheimer's disease; dementia; pharmacoepidemiology; proton pump inhibitor; risk factor.

The so-called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI) are second generation anti-acid drugs that replaced the much safer first generation H2 antagonists like fomotidine, ranitidine, cimetidine, etc. The PPIs are really bad drugs that should have never been approved considering that they provably cause atrophic gastritis and consequently gastric cancer. In addition, they are estrogenic, raise prolactin and thin the bones decades before osteopenia is supposed to kick in. Now, this study shows that taking PPI drugs is probably a causative factor in developing dementia and derivative conditions like Alzheimer disease and thus avoiding the PPI is advisable.

Proton Pump Inhibitors and Risk of Dementia

"...Results A total of 73 679 participants 75 years of age or older and free of dementia at baseline were analyzed. The patients receiving regular PPI medication (n = 2950; mean [SD] age, 83.8 [5.4] years; 77.9% female) had a significantly increased risk of incident dementia compared with the patients not receiving PPI medication (n = 70 729; mean [SD] age, 83.0 [5.6] years; 73.6% female) (hazard ratio, 1.44 [95% CI, 1.36-1.52]; P < .001).
Conclusions and Relevance The avoidance of PPI medication may prevent the development of dementia. This finding is supported by recent pharmacoepidemiological analyses on primary data and is in line with mouse models in which the use of PPIs increased the levels of β-amyloid in the brains of mice. Randomized, prospective clinical trials are needed to examine this connection in more detail."
I have seen this in my own father, who has dementia. He is perfectly normal when he stays with me for weeks at a time, but when he returns home, to where he and his girlfriend reside, he goes back to his usual ways of eating grains and taking his heartburn medication and TUMs, and his memory is back to being a mess. He gets very quiet and wants to sleep a lot too.

Pablo Cruise

I have seen this in my own father, who has dementia. He is perfectly normal when he stays with me for weeks at a time, but when he returns home, to where he and his girlfriend reside, he goes back to his usual ways of eating grains and taking his heartburn medication and TUMs, and his memory is back to being a mess. He gets very quiet and wants to sleep a lot too.
I took protonix a PPI for roughly 20 years for GERD.I QUIT it 3 months ago and find my memory has improved greatly. I thought I had memory problems. I use famotidine and rotation of antacids.
Also new studies show PPIs cause CardioVascular disease.
My UCLA gastro said 20 years ago when I asked about side effects, it is very safe. Live and learn.
We do not write for it in the hospital any longer.

I took protonix a PPI for roughly 20 years for GERD.I QUIT it 3 months ago and find my memory has improved greatly. I thought I had memory problems. I use famotidine and rotation of antacids.
Also new studies show PPIs cause CardioVascular disease.
My UCLA gastro said 20 years ago when I asked about side effects, it is very safe. Live and learn.
We do not write for it in the hospital any longer.
More first hand stories like yours and mine Pablo is needed to get people on a better path. It is terrible what these money maker intended drugs are doing to keep people on their rat wheels.

“The PPI drugs affect calcium and magnesium metabolism in ways that are just beginning to be elucidated and prescribing them like candy is certainly not wise. When they were being considered for approval back in the 1990s, it was widely publicized that in clinical trials the PPI drugs easily caused the condition atrophic gastritis, which is a known prerequisite for developing gastric cancer. Ironically, the symptoms of GERD (which is actually not that dangerous of a condition) can also be produced by lack of stomach acid. Since the production of stomach acid depends on proper thyroid function, naturally most people underproduce rather than over produce stomach acid. In addition, the original theory of GERD being one of the causes of esophageal cancer turned out to be patently untrue given that since PPI approval the esophageal cancer rates have skyrocketed and most GI doctors now recognize that lack of stomach acid (atrophic gastritis) is an actual cause of both stomach and esophageal cancers.
Recent studied also showed that PPI drugs also increase risk of dementia and other neurodegenerative conditions.”

Pablo Cruise

“The PPI drugs affect calcium and magnesium metabolism in ways that are just beginning to be elucidated and prescribing them like candy is certainly not wise. When they were being considered for approval back in the 1990s, it was widely publicized that in clinical trials the PPI drugs easily caused the condition atrophic gastritis, which is a known prerequisite for developing gastric cancer. Ironically, the symptoms of GERD (which is actually not that dangerous of a condition) can also be produced by lack of stomach acid. Since the production of stomach acid depends on proper thyroid function, naturally most people underproduce rather than over produce stomach acid. In addition, the original theory of GERD being one of the causes of esophageal cancer turned out to be patently untrue given that since PPI approval the esophageal cancer rates have skyrocketed and most GI doctors now recognize that lack of stomach acid (atrophic gastritis) is an actual cause of both stomach and esophageal cancers.
Recent studied also showed that PPI drugs also increase risk of dementia and other neurodegenerative conditions.”

Calcium metabolism as you mention, means an acidic gut is necessary for calcium absorption thus osteoporosis may occur or be exacerbated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals