Another Study Links PUFA To Alzheimer Disease (AD)

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted some studies a few months ago, which showed that PUFA metabolites are elevated in patients with AD, and that blocking PUFA metabolism can reverse the pathology (in an animal model).
Increased Pufa Oxidation May Be Biomarker For Alzheimers
Blocking PUFA Metabolism May Reverse Alzheimer Disease (AD)

Now, this new study directly links PUFA and omega-3 (DHA and EPA) to the AD pathology. In addition to the PUFA, the MUFA oleic acid was also associated with AD. So it is likely that the inverse association between olive oil intake and AD is due to another factor present in the olive oil, which Peat said as well even though he did not name the protective chemical.
An equally important result of this study is that it adds even more to the already very strong evidence that AD is a metabolic disease, something that mainstream medicine continues to officially deny even today.

Association between fatty acid metabolism in the brain and Alzheimer disease neuropathology and cognitive performance: A nontargeted metabolomic study
Alzheimer's linked to unsaturated fatty acids in the brain

"...The fatty acids shown to correlate with AD in this study were: docosahexaenoic acid, linoleic acid, arachidonic acid, linolenic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid, and oleic acid. Cristina Legido-Quigley and colleagues explain the significance of the study: "[This] work suggests that dysregulation of UFA's metabolism plays a role in driving AD pathology and that these results provide further evidence for the metabolic basis of AD pathogenesis."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Perhaps the protective chemical is squalene?

Possibly, he did not elaborate. I would definitely like to know what it is, so if somebody sends him an email about this please ask and post his response.

Beefcake

Perhaps the protective chemical is squalene?

Hydroxytyrosol - Wikipedia

This compound is the strongest natural antioxidant known to man it’s in green olive leafs but also in the green olives. Less in the black olives since they have more iron. My guess is that this is the reason. At least part of why olive oil is healthy. My bet is that olive leaf extracts or just fresh green olives are healthier versus the pickled green olives.