Another method to reduce iron absorbtion in meat?

PeatFeat

It has occurred to me that eating red meat with some cheese (or any other source of calcium) and also taking a vitamin D supplement should inhibit iron absorption. Vitamin D enhances Calcium absorption, which directly competes with Iron. Any thoughts on this?

jyb

Coffee is usually recommended here too. Hadn't heard of vit D for this...

On a related note, jaa recommended calcium acetate (powdered eggshell + vinegar) as it binds better to phosphorus, which is also something you want to reduce. I'm not sure if that's necessary if you are eating cheese or lots of milk with it anyway.

OP
P

PeatFeat

Well I have never seen it recommended here so I figured I would mention it and it makes perfect sense. I take D3 anyway because my blood levels were low. Sometimes if I'm eating meat later in the day I avoid drinking coffee.

jaa

jyb said:
Coffee is usually recommended here too. Hadn't heard of vit D for this...

On a related note, jaa recommended calcium acetate (powdered eggshell + vinegar) as it binds better to phosphorus, which is also something you want to reduce. I'm not sure if that's necessary if you are eating cheese or lots of milk with it anyway.

As much as I would like to take credit for that, it was Mittir who dropped that nugget of wisdom.:)