Animals With Faster Metabolisms Experience Finer Slices Of Time

DKayJoe

Cool post, though it might be something to do with my reaction times I've often wondered why one day I can be doing 70mph on my bike and feel like I'm flying and other days it seems like I'm plodding along at a leisurely pace. I suppose this could also correlate with good metabolism and better alertness and mental quickness as well?
In any case I'll have to start shifting the BPM up on my music so my cat can enjoy the full benefits! :)

Edited for errors.

Kasper

So the reason that years fly by as you become older is because of a slower basal metabolic rate ?

onioneyedox

This is interesting stuff, I remember wondering about this as a child. Sort of how fast our brains are ticking relative to the world, like CPU of computer.

One example of this I have felt are things like "seeing" trajectory of a flying object (really sort of subsecond simulation in mind's eye) and as a result catching it some weird way. ofc when happy and relaxed with good people.

I have been occasionally testing my reaction time on this site: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
In case something suddenly changes. Nothing remarkable really, just tiredness really makes it worse and sometimes I have cut quarter of my regular test time without really trying. There is a "lag" which i can feel which makes me think that my current state isn't really best I could do.

Peat talked shortly about this in some interview (maybe the recent politics and science shows). If I remember correctly it was something about reactions times vs the slice of time. When standing reaction times were better because more of the primitive hormones but more complex processes in brain working faster when in comfortable position.