Animals Chat Just Like Humans, Consider It Very Rude To Be Interrupted

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yet another study that shows how little difference (if any) there is between humans and other living, intelligent organisms. The study showed that not only do animals communicate verbally, but they also perform that dialogue very similarly to humans. They practice proper talking form and make a strong effort not to interrupt the other participant(s). And if interruptions do occur, the animals consider it very poor etiquette and usually abandon the "conversation". I think most politicians can lean quite a bit from just observing how animals behave. Apparently, the animal behavior is anything but...animalistic.

Taking turns: bridging the gap between human and animal communication
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...naked-mole-rats-language-review-a8385691.html

"...Two-way conversations like the ones that humans engage in are found throughout the animal kingdom, scientists have found. “Turn taking” has long been suggested as one of the key features that distinguishes human language from the noises made by our primate cousins. But a new review has suggested that everything from the rumbling noises made by elephants to the chirps made by naked mole rats follow the same turn-taking rules. The authors of the new study highlighted timing as a key feature of communicative turn-taking in both humans and animals. Some species were impatient chatterers as certain songbirds waited less than 50 milliseconds to "reply" during a conversation. At the other end of the scale, slow-talking sperm whales exchanged clicks with a gap of about two seconds between turns. Humans typically pause for about 200 milliseconds before responding in a two-way conversation and the scientists found that we are not the only species that consider it rude to interrupt. Both black-capped chickadees and European starlings practised "overlap avoidance" during turn-taking communication. Writing in the journal Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, the scientists said: "If overlap occurs, individuals became silent or flew away, suggesting that overlapping may be treated, in this species, as a violation of socially accepted rules of turn-taking."

cdg

This is so neat wish we could understand what they are nattering about? I know in one of Dr Peat's letters he talks about communicating with a bird in his garden. A bird who wanted water and successfully got it!

This is so neat wish we could understand what they are nattering about? I know in one of Dr Peat's letters he talks about communicating with a bird in his garden. A bird who wanted water and successfully got it!

I think thats why interspecies television shows are so important.

Spongebob taught me that fish are just like us and they worry about going to work, getting driving licenses, making money, and all those other things people do to stay above water (hehe)

Sobieski

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on this? That's pretty interesting

Spongebob taught me that fish are just like us and they worry about going to work, getting driving licenses, making money, and all those other things people do to stay above water (hehe)
Does krabby patty use coconut oil or did they cut costs :emoji_eyes:

goodandevil

What a horrible show for children

yerrag

I was thinking if someone can make a short animated illustration of the idea that animals consider interrupting during conversation rude.

I would like to share with all the people I know who have the habit of interrupting before I finish my first sentence.

Aspekt

This is the article; Intuitive knowledge and its development

Nesting birds often swoop at people or animals who get too close to their nest. Early last summer, I had noticed some blue jays that seemed to be acting defensive whenever I went into one part of the yard. On a very hot day at the end of summer, a couple of plump jays were squawking and apparently trying to get my attention while I was watering the front yard, and I idly wondered why they would be acting that way so late in the year. I had gone around the house to water things in the back yard, and the birds came over the house, and were still squawking, and trying to get my attention. I realized that their excitement didn't have anything to do with their nest, and looking more carefully, I saw that they were young birds. As it dawned on me that they were interested in the water squirting out of the hose, I aimed the stream up towards them, and they got as close to it as they could. Since the force of the stream might have hurt them, I put on a nozzle that made a finer spray, and the birds immediately came down to the lowest tip of the branch, where they could get the full force of the mist, holding out their wings, and leaning into the spray so that it ruffled their breast feathers. Their persistence had finally paid off when they got me to understand what they wanted, and they were enjoying the cool water. As new young birds, I don't know how they understood hoses and squirting water, but it was clear that they recognized me as a potentially intelligent being with whom they could communicate.

For a person, that wouldn't have seemed like a tremendously inventive response to the hot weather, but for young birds that hadn't been out of the nest for long, it made it clear to me that there is more inventive intelligence in the world than is apparent to most academic psychologists and ethologists.

cdg

Yes indeed, here you go:

"Nesting birds often swoop at people or animals who get too close to their nest.
Early last summer, I had noticed some blue jays that seemed to be acting defensive
whenever I went into one part of the yard. On a very hot day at the end of summer,
a couple of plump jays were squawking and apparently trying to get my attention
while I was watering the front yard, and I idly wondered why they would be acting
that way so late in the year. I had gone around the house to water things in the
back yard, and the birds came over the house, and were still squawking, and trying
to get my attention. I realized that their excitement didn't have anything to do with
their nest, and looking more carefully, I saw that they were young birds. As it
dawned on me that they were interested in the water squirting out of the hose, I
aimed the stream up towards them, and they got as close to it as they could. Since
the force of the stream might have hurt them, I put on a nozzle that made a finer
spray, and the birds immediately came down to the lowest tip of the branch, where
they could get the full force of the mist, holding out their wings, and leaning into the
spray so that it ruffled their breast feathers. Their persistence had finally paid off
when they got me to understand what they wanted, and they were enjoying the cool
water. As new young birds, I don't know how they understood hoses and squirting
water, but it was clear that they recognized me as a potentially intelligent being with
whom they could communicate.

For a person, that wouldn't have seemed like a tremendously inventive response to the hot weather, but for young birds that hadn't been out of the nest for long, it made it clear to me that there is more inventive intelligence in the world than is apparent to most academic psychologists and ethologists.

Early porpoise researchers were surprised when a porpoise understood a sequence in which one tone was followed by two, and then by three, and answered by producing a series of four tones. The porpoise had discovered that people knew how to count."

Extracted from: Intuitive knowledge and its development

There are many more examples-so read the full article.

Regina

Yet another study that shows how little difference (if any) there is between humans and other living, intelligent organisms. The study showed that not only do animals communicate verbally, but they also perform that dialogue very similarly to humans. They practice proper talking form and make a strong effort not to interrupt the other participant(s). And if interruptions do occur, the animals consider it very poor etiquette and usually abandon the "conversation". I think most politicians can lean quite a bit from just observing how animals behave. Apparently, the animal behavior is anything but...animalistic.

Taking turns: bridging the gap between human and animal communication
Elephants, birds and naked mole rats talk to each other just like humans

"...Two-way conversations like the ones that humans engage in are found throughout the animal kingdom, scientists have found. “Turn taking” has long been suggested as one of the key features that distinguishes human language from the noises made by our primate cousins. But a new review has suggested that everything from the rumbling noises made by elephants to the chirps made by naked mole rats follow the same turn-taking rules. The authors of the new study highlighted timing as a key feature of communicative turn-taking in both humans and animals. Some species were impatient chatterers as certain songbirds waited less than 50 milliseconds to "reply" during a conversation. At the other end of the scale, slow-talking sperm whales exchanged clicks with a gap of about two seconds between turns. Humans typically pause for about 200 milliseconds before responding in a two-way conversation and the scientists found that we are not the only species that consider it rude to interrupt. Both black-capped chickadees and European starlings practised "overlap avoidance" during turn-taking communication. Writing in the journal Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, the scientists said: "If overlap occurs, individuals became silent or flew away, suggesting that overlapping may be treated, in this species, as a violation of socially accepted rules of turn-taking."
Scientists Are Totally Rethinking Animal Cognition

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Back
Top Bottom