Haidut Interview Animal-based vs. Ray Peat diet - Podcast With Georgi Dinkov and Paul Saladino

David PS

hat_tip.gif

Melk

I enjoyed the interview, great collab, but I would have liked some more nuance.

I hear Georgi say the usual peaty things we hear about weight loss and low carb burn out. But what about Sean o'mara?

View: https://youtu.be/UxOib8PVC4o

He's been on Paul's show before. He didn't start low carbing until his late 40s, and has been paleo for about a decade and carnivore for like 4-5 years. So, much longer than georgis 1 year burn out time frame.

In the linked interview ~55 minutes in, he talks about being a stressed out, fat doctor trying to lose weight drinking a gallon of chocolate Skim milk a day. Gee, I wonder if anyone here has tried that.

It worked for him not at all, but from the pictures he shares the low carbing clearly has.

So in the context of the paradigm georgi presented to Paul, how do we explain Sean? He performs well, he has an aesthetic and athletic look, and a full head of hair.

LadyRae

I would like to file a complaint.
When Saladino proudly talked about his high caloric input (3.300) he was congratulated by Georgi for his high metabolism.
WTF, 3300 calories is not much at all for a male who works out several hours every day.
I was promised the energy-metabolism of a child when i signed up, i have the receipts!
Paul's 2 hour workouts in the morning, surfing, often times consist of laying around on a surfboard waiting for a wave. If you've ever surfed before, it's not a full 2 hours swim or something! 😉

LadyRae

Thank you. Has he mentioned how long it took him to improve the fasting glucose? I just remember him from around 2019 when he was only eating meat and organs. I knew he was adding back some carbs but lost track when covid hit and I quit social media.
I've been a subscriber to his YouTube channel for some time. And I'm not exactly sure how long it took but I do remember it being quick, definitely less than a year.... Early on he talked a lot about how long-term keto is unhealthy because people develop high fasting glucose.

Momma

Paul's 2 hour workouts in the morning, surfing, often times consist of laying around on a surfboard waiting for a wave. If you've ever surfed before, it's not a full 2 hours swim or something! 😉
Being in the sun requires energy.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've been a subscriber to his YouTube channel for some time. And I'm not exactly sure how long it took but I do remember it being quick, definitely less than a year.... Early on he talked a lot about how long-term keto is unhealthy because people develop high fasting glucose.
Thanks for the info!

LadyRae

Ok. So we'd all better "site our source" anytime we change our mind or learn something or alter our habits to feel better..... Get busy people. No need to reinvent the wheel, but be sure to credit the original wheel inventor. 😀

After a year of keto/fasting/intense exercise, I added carbs back into my life, toned down my exercise, and quit fasting because I felt awful. Better health and wellness quickly followed. And when I talk to people about my experience I never said "because Ray Peat said so".

I started reading Ray Pete after I made the necessary tweaks to my own life based on what made me feel better. That is also what Paul did. Eating a balanced diet with healthy and easy to digest carbs is not just a Ray Peat thing!

SamYo123

Ok. So we'd all better "site our source" anytime we change our mind or learn something or alter our habits to feel better..... Get busy people. No need to reinvent the wheel, but be sure to credit the original wheel inventor. 😀

After a year of keto/fasting/intense exercise, I added carbs back into my life, toned down my exercise, and quit fasting because I felt awful. Better health and wellness quickly followed. And when I talk to people about my experience I never said "because Ray Peat said so".

I started reading Ray Pete after I made the necessary tweaks to my own life based on what made me feel better. That is also what Paul did. Eating a balanced diet with healthy and easy to digest carbs is not just a Ray Peat thing!
It was the wrong type of exercise

Melk

It was the wrong type of exercise
According to Naudi. I know he thinks he's movement-jesus, but that doesn't mean he is.

I've been following FP for a while, watched him drift in and out of Kruse stuff, cite anatomy trains and then claim he came up myofascial slings first, and thr Contreras stuff and on and on. He's an interesting guy, he has some good ideas.

But movement is a big topic and naudi doesn't know everything, and a video of him just tutting and occasionally approving is gauche and pointless. Social media clout nonsense. Important for reach etc but fundamentally empty. He often comes across as abrasive a bit adolescent in his delivery, and I wonder if he was getting the breath/movement/metabolism thing all the right, might he not seem a bit nicer and more chill?

FP, goata, weck, anatomy trains, a lot of people think they're the arbiters of 'proper movement'. Every one has been incomplete so far.

Let's just let the man surf lol

SamYo123

According to Naudi. I know he thinks he's movement-jesus, but that doesn't mean he is.

I've been following FP for a while, watched him drift in and out of Kruse stuff, cite anatomy trains and then claim he came up myofascial slings first, and thr Contreras stuff and on and on. He's an interesting guy, he has some good ideas.

But movement is a big topic and naudi doesn't know everything, and a video of him just tutting and occasionally approving is gauche and pointless. Social media clout nonsense. Important for reach etc but fundamentally empty. He often comes across as abrasive a bit adolescent in his delivery, and I wonder if he was getting the breath/movement/metabolism thing all the right, might he not seem a bit nicer and more chill?

FP, goata, weck, anatomy trains, a lot of people think they're the arbiters of 'proper movement'. Every one has been incomplete so far.

Let's just let the man surf lol
Until his body cant take anymore and then he is now "old"

Naudi puts slings into practice, other talk about it like Tom Myers

mrsuomi

Not to seem critical but Saladino has really aged in the last few years. Hopefully listening to Haidut/Georgi will help him start to reverse that trend.
He started to age very quickly after adding in carbs, he looked way much younger as a carrnivore

OP
Korven

Korven

He started to age very quickly after adding in carbs, he looked way much younger as a carrnivore

I've had similar thoughts but to be fair he also moved to Costa Rica and spends several hours in the sun each day. Also, iron overload from high red meat intake could potentially be another risk factor for premature aging. I wouldn't say that carbs per se is what caused his skin to look more wrinkled. Most likely its Caucasian white male + surfing hours everyday in equatorial climate = raisin effect.

Momma

From someone who has never seen this guy before here are my thoughts.

Unpleasant to assess him after only two videos. But this guy is a dime a dozen. Be it a vegan (which he was). HIIT pusher. Keto. Carnivore. They are strict. No freedom. No fluidity. Out of balance. Pushing supplements. Etc etc.

He’s too lean.
When i was at that level of (lack of) body fat. Damn right i looked age.
He’s orthorexic. You don’t agree? He is.
He’s undereating (i watched the “What i Eat in a Day”)
He eats 3000 calories and exercises 2.5 hours a day. He takes supplements.
Is he married with a family? That is a good healthy thing for a 45 year old man imo.
He seems like a slave to his own routine. This restricted diet he pushes I don’t believe is sustainable or ends in true health.

Lastly, us excited Peat’s work is possibly coming to the forefront.
My concern is very few people understand Peat’s work in context. I believe Georgi does.
It suits the RPF member well if you come to the forum after reading Peat’s books / articles. Not the other way around.

Peachy

I would like to file a complaint.
When Saladino proudly talked about his high caloric input (3.300) he was congratulated by Georgi for his high metabolism.
WTF, 3300 calories is not much at all for a male who works out several hours every day.
I was promised the energy-metabolism of a child when i signed up, i have the receipts!
Hahaha. Fair

JerseyCow

I like Paul. He is much more open to trying new things and less dogmatic compared to most talking heads out there. He's also willing to admit his own mistakes. Honestly, he seemed very humble and gracious in having Georgi on and giving him plenty of time to speak.

Inaut

I like Paul. He is much more open to trying new things and less dogmatic compared to most talking heads out there. He's also willing to admit his own mistakes. Honestly, he seemed very humble and gracious in having Georgi on and giving him plenty of time to speak.
Very true. 👍

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom