Angiotensin I And II And Serotonin?

nostalgic

Does this study say that angiotensin II would be useful for reducing serotonin:

"Ang II administration also increased (by 15% and 55%) the levels of the major serotonin metabolite, 5HIAA. This effect was also abolished by co-administration with Losartan, and Losartan alone depressed basal levels of 5HIAA. "

source: Effects of angiotensin II on dopamine and serotonin turnover in the striatum of conscious rats - ScienceDirect

The thing is that I would need Losartan to decrease my high blood pressure (from what I assume is from the phenylalanine in my amino acid cocktail), but wouldn't that lead to increased serotonin?

Bump.

Hans

Forum Supporter

"Ang II administration also increased (by 15% and 55%) the levels of the major serotonin metabolite, 5HIAA. This effect was also abolished by co-administration with Losartan, and Losartan alone depressed basal levels of 5HIAA. "

source: Effects of angiotensin II on dopamine and serotonin turnover in the striatum of conscious rats - ScienceDirect

The thing is that I would need Losartan to decrease my high blood pressure (from what I assume is from the phenylalanine in my amino acid cocktail), but wouldn't that lead to increased serotonin?
It could also mean that it increased serotonin and that's why the metabolite increased, not because of increased breakdown.

Angiotensin regulates release and synthesis of serotonin in brain. - PubMed - NCBI
Angiotensin II released serotonin from neuron terminals and accelerated synthesis of the serotonin. This increase in synthesis depended on the activation of tryptophan hydroxylase. A biphasic effect was observed: at high doses the stimulatory effect depended on conversion of angiotensin II to angiotensin III. At low doses an inhibitory effect was found, possible dependent on an angiotensin II metabolite. These actions represent a subtle regulation of the open-loop serotonin system.

Also according to this study: Effects of angiotensin II on dopamine and serotonin turnover in the striatum of conscious rats. - PubMed - NCBI angiotensin increased both dopamine and serotonin and Losartan inhibited it.

PeskyPeater

I don't think so, angiotensin increased serotonin activity. But Losartan reduced the turnover of serotonin thus effectively reducing serotonin activity and depression.

Here is another study that supports that, were they used Telmisartan against ANGII:

Abstract

Brain inflammation is one of hypotheses explaining complex pathomechanisms of depression. Angiotensin II (ANGII), which is associated with hypertension, also induces brain inflammation. However, there is no animal study showing the direct relationship between ANGII and depression. To address this issue, ANGII-containing osmotic pumps were implanted into adult male C57BL/6 mice subcutaneously for subacute (7 days) and chronic (at least 21 days) periods and behavioral and molecular analyses were conducted. Chronic infusion of ANGII into mice induced depressive-like behaviors, including the tail suspension test and forced swimming test, which were reversed by imipramine. Chronic infusion of ANGII also induced microglial activation in the hippocampus with increase of Il-1β mRNA and decrease of Arg1 mRNA. In addition, chronic ANGII infusion activated the hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis (HPA axis) and resulted in decreased hippocampal glucocorticoid receptor level. However, subacute ANGII infusion did not induce significant molecular and behavioral changes in mice compared to that of control. The molecular and behavioral changes by chronic ANGII infusion were reversed by co-treatment of minocycline or telmisartan. In addition, ANGII treatment also induced the pro-inflammatory changes in BV-2 microglial cells. Our results indicate that ANGII can induce depressive-like behaviors via microglial activation in the hippocampus and HPA axis hyperactivation in mice. These might suggest possible mechanism on depressive symptom in chronic hypertensive state.
-source

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals