Anemia in senior male - any iron metabolism Wizards / practitioners in here?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Below are CBC and iron related values of a 72 yo male.
History of mild IBD but no bleeding had been detected anywhere.
No meds, cholesterol had been low for a while. sugar, HB A1C and kidney markers are fine.
anemia had lasted for several years with great fatigue and multiple iron transfusions.
Recent changes, including a more "peaty" diet, and supplements such as 3 mg copper, micronutrients needed in energy metabolism and choline have resulted in substantially improved energy levels and decrease in RDW but not in higher ferritin, iron and hemoglobin levels.
Can anyone offer insight?

1610203858202.png

youngsinatra

Copper requires retinol to be loaded into ceruloplasmin, the copper-transport-protein, to be bioactive and usable for things like oxidative metabolism / ETC.

Is you client eating enough vitamin A in form of retinol? Or is he maybe doing a lot of vitamin D, which can deplete retinol in high doses if not corrected with additional retinol?

Beef liver has been shown to reverse anemia, which contains bioavailable copper and retinol.

George R. Minor actually got a Nobel Prize in 1934, by using beef liver as a treatment for anemia.

These are just my thoughts.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
Appreciate your input. Yes, I made that suggestion before, but I don't think he is persistent with that. I mean he does feel a lot better, I think since he started supplementing copper. What I don't understand is with his improvement in energy levels and all the past iron infusion he received (and no GI iron loss) why are his iron / ferritin levels still low.

J.R.K

Appreciate your input. Yes, I made that suggestion before, but I don't think he is persistent with that. I mean he does feel a lot better, I think since he started supplementing copper. What I don't understand is with his improvement in energy levels and all the past iron infusion he received (and no GI iron loss) why are his iron / ferritin levels still low.
I am new at reading these lab results so I will not be of much help but I do believe that ferritin can be more of an indicator of internal inflammation in overweight people and transferrin serves as a better bio marker for actual iron levels. On this lab report it reads the transferrin levels as being high. Just a thought.