Androsterone - Androgenic Neurosteroid Required For Male Sexual Behavior

haidut

Forum Supporter
I recently posted a study about DHT being required for male sexual behavior and orgasm. That study did not look specifically into whether DHT or one of its downstream metabolites was indeed responsible for male sexual function. This study went a bit further and claims that it is androsterone that is required for proper male sexual behavior.
DHT Is The Primary Driver Of Male Sexual Activity And Is Crucial For Male Orgasm

Monoamines and neurosteroids in sexual function during induced hypogonadism in healthy men. - PubMed - NCBI
"...RESULTS: The CSF testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and androsterone levels were significantly lower during hypogonadism (P=.002, .04, and .046, respectively), but no significant changes were observed in CSF measures of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid, homovanillic acid, dehydroepiandrosterone, or pregnenolone. Decreased sexual interest was observed during the hypogonadal state compared with both baseline and testosterone replacement (P=.009) and correlated significantly with CSF measures of androsterone during both hypogonadism and testosterone replacement (r = -0.76 and -0.81, respectively; P<.01). Moreover, the change in severity of decreased sexual interest correlated significantly with the change in CSF androsterone levels between testosterone replacement and hypogonadism (r = -0.68; P<.05). The CSF 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid and homovanillic acid levels did not correlate significantly with any behavioral or CSF measure.
"...CONCLUSION: These data suggest that the neurosteroid androsterone contributes to the regulation of sexual function in men."

Hormonal specificity and activation of sexual behavior in male zebra finches. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Castration significantly reduced the proportion of males which courted females, total courtship displays, high-intensity courtship displays, beak wiping activity, and significantly increased the latencies to show these behaviors compared to intact males. Castrated males never attempted to mount a female. All of these measures of courtship and copulatory behavior were restored to normal levels only by treatments providing both estrogenic and alpha-androgenic metabolites (i.e., T, AE, E + alpha DHT). AE was clearly the most effective of these, raising behavior significantly above normal on several measures. Androsterone (AN) treatment was more effective than alpha DHT on all measures and not significantly different from intact birds on some. Treatment with E, alpha DHT, beta DHT, or E + beta DHT was totally ineffective. Surprisingly, females only solicited males whose hormone treatments provided estrogenic metabolites. Not only did they solicit males given aromatizable androgens, which showed high rates of courtship activity, they also solicited males given E or E + beta DHT, some of which never even courted. Castration and hormone treatment also affected body and syringeal weight, but in opposite directions. Castration increased body weight while decreasing syringeal weight. Hormone treatments providing alpha-androgenic metabolites decreased body weight and increased syrinx weight. Treatments supplying estrogen as well were slightly more effective."

whit

I didn't see any adverse side effects in this study ie. E2 conversion possibility. How well would this work with pregnenalone? I couldn't find anything on the combo. Maybe I'm too deep in the weeds here.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I didn't see any adverse side effects in this study ie. E2 conversion possibility. How well would this work with pregnenalone? I couldn't find anything on the combo. Maybe I'm too deep in the weeds here.

There were no adverse effects in that study. No conversion to estrogen either. This steroid cannot aromatize and convert to estrogen. That is kind of the major beneficial point for all 5-AR derived steroids really. Pregnenolone can synergize well with any steroid. Look at the quotes in the original thread on Pansterone.

whit

There were no adverse effects in that study. No conversion to estrogen either. This steroid cannot aromatize and convert to estrogen. That is kind of the major beneficial point for all 5-AR derived steroids really. Pregnenolone can synergize well with any steroid. Look at the quotes in the original thread on Pansterone.
That's precisely what I was seeing. Just confirming.
This is great! I'm surprised there's not more traffic on this thread.
This could also be used as a recovery agent as well. yea?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if consuming these types of supps will prevent the pregnenolone from converting to progesterone and causing issues like numbdick in men.

sladerunner69

Would androsterone possibly have a negative effect on libido because it lowers estrogen so much?

If I am supplementing fat solubles, e, k, a, d and eating peatfully with plenty of orange juice, dairy, meats, gelatin, mushrooms, taurine, bcaa's, aspirin, using red light..... wouldnt this ensure that I have nearly zero estrogen... but witht he knowledge that some estrogen is needed for libido I am wodnering if this is why I am still having libido problems...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
That's precisely what I was seeing. Just confirming.
This is great! I'm surprised there's not more traffic on this thread.
This could also be used as a recovery agent as well. yea?

Sure, I use it as recovery after heavy exercise (90min soccer games). Combined with Pansterone it really does the job quite well. No soreness or pain the next day for me if used within a few hours after the event.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I wonder if consuming these types of supps will prevent the pregnenolone from converting to progesterone and causing issues like numbdick in men.

I don't think androsterone inhibits the enzyme converting pregnenolone to progesterone. But being an androgen it may balance some of the anti-androgenic effects of progesterone for men.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Would androsterone possibly have a negative effect on libido because it lowers estrogen so much?

If I am supplementing fat solubles, e, k, a, d and eating peatfully with plenty of orange juice, dairy, meats, gelatin, mushrooms, taurine, bcaa's, aspirin, using red light..... wouldnt this ensure that I have nearly zero estrogen... but witht he knowledge that some estrogen is needed for libido I am wodnering if this is why I am still having libido problems...

I would try androsterone on its own and then with some Pansterone. If the Pansterone + androsterone gives you libido but androsterone on its own does not, you may indeed need some aromatizable steroids to kickstart libido. But I have found libido is affected by so many things that I doubt low estrogen is the likely reason for most people.

sladerunner69

Taking androsterone at doses of 5-10 drops each day helps a lot with pfs. I take pregnenelone in the morning and some progesterone at night. I also take t3 in the morning and t3/t4 blend in the evening (although I think thyroid actually makes me more tired). I am thinking I will try to increase androsterone dosage a lot. I am also taking 4-dhea to increase testosterone.

Vicecaz

How do you feel @sladerunner69 regarding PFS? Would you be able to grossly provide a % to describe the progress you’ve made ?

I’m feeling better and better over the years but the sexual departments is the one I’m having trouble improving in. Even after 5 rounds of R andro/Androsterone by muscle gelz (transdermal)

sladerunner69

How do you feel @sladerunner69 regarding PFS? Would you be able to grossly provide a % to describe the progress you’ve made ?

I’m feeling better and better over the years but the sexual departments is the one I’m having trouble improving in. Even after 5 rounds of R andro/Androsterone by muscle gelz (transdermal)

Well from 2011-2019 I was slowly improving but never really made any baseline improvements. Even after improving my metabolism and expelling pufa for years I felt to anxious, emotionless, and had low libido. Then in the summer of last year I started drinking alcohol frequently and losing hope. So I decided to try androsterone. I ran a cycle of musclegelz for 4 weeks and while it was very difficult at first, I began to feel energized and libidinous again about 2 weeks in. I felt that alpha male presence and focus I had long forgotten. However, after 4 weeks I was feeling very dizzy and having trouble focussing, and because I had to take a midterm exam I decided to get off of it. I felt really bad coming off it. I no longer had anxiety, but my brain fog was markedly worse, and had severe trouble focussing, and feeling confused around every turn. That was when I decided to try getting off of carbohydrates and fasting /keto for a few months. I felt a little better at times, but still never okay. Now I am still struggling, feeling numbness in my body and head, and feel like I'm in a perpetual battle to stay focussed. I tried coffee and thyroid and different dieting but nothing helps all that much. A few weeks ago I tried androsterone again (this time just a couple idealabs drops) and felt more improved than I have in a long time. Then I tried super 4-andro and felt more energized but nothing in terms of brain fog (which is where my biggest issue is). I am thinking of trying another cycle of androsterone but coupling it with pregnenlone or progesterone or 5adhp to help increase the allopregnenlone which I think the lack of is the main culprit behind the terrible brain fog and numbness.

T

TheBeard

Well from 2011-2019 I was slowly improving but never really made any baseline improvements. Even after improving my metabolism and expelling pufa for years I felt to anxious, emotionless, and had low libido. Then in the summer of last year I started drinking alcohol frequently and losing hope. So I decided to try androsterone. I ran a cycle of musclegelz for 4 weeks and while it was very difficult at first, I began to feel energized and libidinous again about 2 weeks in. I felt that alpha male presence and focus I had long forgotten. However, after 4 weeks I was feeling very dizzy and having trouble focussing, and because I had to take a midterm exam I decided to get off of it. I felt really bad coming off it. I no longer had anxiety, but my brain fog was markedly worse, and had severe trouble focussing, and feeling confused around every turn. That was when I decided to try getting off of carbohydrates and fasting /keto for a few months. I felt a little better at times, but still never okay. Now I am still struggling, feeling numbness in my body and head, and feel like I'm in a perpetual battle to stay focussed. I tried coffee and thyroid and different dieting but nothing helps all that much. A few weeks ago I tried androsterone again (this time just a couple idealabs drops) and felt more improved than I have in a long time. Then I tried super 4-andro and felt more energized but nothing in terms of brain fog (which is where my biggest issue is). I am thinking of trying another cycle of androsterone but coupling it with pregnenlone or progesterone or 5adhp to help increase the allopregnenlone which I think the lack of is the main culprit behind the terrible brain fog and numbness.

Have you tried testosterone cream on your scrotum yet?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Taking androsterone at doses of 5-10 drops each day helps a lot with pfs. I take pregnenelone in the morning and some progesterone at night. I also take t3 in the morning and t3/t4 blend in the evening (although I think thyroid actually makes me more tired). I am thinking I will try to increase androsterone dosage a lot. I am also taking 4-dhea to increase testosterone.
When do you take the androsterone? I just ordered some.
I tried pregnenolone one day at noon, and felt great for 3 hours, then could not sleep that night. Maybe I should try it in the morning, instead of my usual3 mg of progestene.
I have sleep issues in general.
Paul

Mauritio

Did nobody see that line? Its quite interesting that females were only interested in males when there was an estrogenic metabolite in their body...

"Surprisingly, females only solicited males whose hormone treatments provided estrogenic metabolites."

Although that seems to be species-specific:

"In all avian species examined, androgenic as well as estrogenic metabolites of T appear to play an important role in activating male courtshipbehavior. In some species, both androgenic and estrogenic metabolites are necessary to elicit a particular courtship behavior, while in others androgens elicit some behaviors, estrogens others, and it takes both classes of hormone to elicit the normal repertoire of male courtship."

Last edited:

Mauritio

Interestingly androstenedione was way more effective in almost any sexual metric they measured compared to androsterone. Androstenedione was even more effective than Testosterone or any other androgen or steroid combination they used.
Which begs the question : has anybody tried taking androstenedione?
If not , in the meantime DHEA should be a good surrogate for it since it is just one step away.

For example androstenedione animals receiving androstenedione experience 4 times for courting behaviour than animals on androsterone.

AE= androstenedione
AN = androsterone
T= testosterone
Screenshot 2024-02-18 12.52.52.png

"The supposedly nonaromatizable androgen, androsterone,was also able to restore high-intensity courtship displays, beak wiping,and the latencies to the first courtship or beak wipe, although it wa sunable to restore total courtship activity. AN was significantly moreeffective than the other nonaromatizable a-androgen, SaDHT, on allmeasures. However, the aromatizable androgen, androstenedione, was significantly more effective than AN on all measures except increasing the frequency of high-intensity courtship displays. Birds treated with AEalso showed significantly more frequent courtship and beak wiping and significantly shorter latencies to the first display of these behaviors than intact males."

Charger

I have some limited experience with androstenedione, you can buy some from some online pheromone shops.

Hans wrote an article on it here:
Androstenedione for maximizing testosterone; good or no? » TESTONATION

So it seems to be estrogenic and suppressive. If you go on pheromone forums and read people's experiences with it, you will see they tend to mention fatigue and moodiness that can last a day (or longer) after using it, which is probably due to the rise in estrogen, I noticed it as well.

I got it originally to take the edge off Andro and appear more approachable/friendly, and it does seem to do that, but its not worth the risk of suppression and estrogenic side effects.

Mauritio

I have some limited experience with androstenedione, you can buy some from some online pheromone shops.

Hans wrote an article on it here:
Androstenedione for maximizing testosterone; good or no? » TESTONATION

So it seems to be estrogenic and suppressive. If you go on pheromone forums and read people's experiences with it, you will see they tend to mention fatigue and moodiness that can last a day (or longer) after using it, which is probably due to the rise in estrogen, I noticed it as well.

I got it originally to take the edge off Andro and appear more approachable/friendly, and it does seem to do that, but its not worth the risk of suppression and estrogenic side effects.
Ok thanks for the info. Then Im not going to try it. DHEA and andro might be a better combination.

Andro Chad

Do you guys think the androstenedione in pine pollen tincture could be problematic in terms of raising estrogen? Or not because of the other aromatizable and non aromatizable Steroids like T DHEA Androsterone & DHT in it?