Andrew Huberman, Ph.D. Corner

GreekDemiGod

Has anyone followed his work? He has gained a lot of popularity in the last 1-2 years. He is a Neuroscience professor / researcher at Stanford, has been on Joe Rogan twice, and has 1M followers on Instagram. He also has a very popular podcast.
He talks about Dopamine, Testosterone, cold exposure. Definitely anti-Peat.

B2B49B24-91D8-4E00-AE24-593216A77285.png

Cold exposure would increase metabolism in a hormetic way, would overly activate the adrenals in the sense of more adrenaline, and more adrenal androgens, more estrogen and at that point it would not be far off to assume that your gonadal steroidgenesis is dropping too.
The health effects are good temporary and the virilising effects of adrenal androgens are retarded (women getting beards; men with overly high amount of body hair but sparse eyebrows for example). Long term effects fit perfectly into every symptom of hypothyroidism

I have exposed myself to cold my whole life, I thought it was a challange and would harden me (it hardened my connective tissues :cool:). In fact I did not even have a heating system in my old room because it was not intended to be a sleeping room (it was moist and I think prone to mold, too). I also always wore shorts and shirt but never associated cold extremities to this because I thought this is how life is supposed to be or just something I can not influence.
I clearly see where this practice led me to. Of course I can not blame every past mishap on cold exposure but if Huberman does not include other factors in his equation then I will just leave this argument be.
I still prefer Peat

Beastmode

Huberman seems like a genuine guy. However, I wouldn't follow most of what he says.

The healthier I get the idea of exposing myself to cold therapy of any kind makes absolutely no sense. Before I got serious about my thyroid, etc it actually seemed appealing to do cold exposure like Huberman suggests. Funny how clear it is to not do something like this.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Any studies to back this up or just personal experience?
Thyroid hormones (TH) control brown adipose tissue (BAT) activation and differentiation, but their subsequent homeostatic response following BAT activation remains obscure. This study aimed to investigate the relationship between cold- and capsinoids-induced BAT activation and TH changes between baseline and 2 hours post-intervention. Nineteen healthy subjects underwent 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron-emission tomography (18F-FDG PET) and whole-body calorimetry (WBC) after 2 hours of cold exposure (~14.5 °C) or capsinoids ingestion (12 mg) in a crossover design. Standardized uptake values (SUV-mean) of the region of interest and energy expenditure (EE) were measured. Plasma free triiodothyronine (FT3), free thyroxine (FT4) and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) were measured before and 2 hours after each intervention. Subjects were divided into groups based on the presence (n = 12) or absence (n = 7) of BAT after cold exposure. 12 of 19 subjects were classified as BAT-positive. Subjects with BAT had higher baseline FT3 concentration, baseline FT3/FT4 ratio compared with subjects without BAT. Controlling for body fat percentage, FT3 concentration at baseline was associated with EE change from baseline after cold exposure (P = 0.037) and capsinoids (P = 0.047). Plasma FT4 level significantly increased associated with reciprocal decline in TSH after acute cold exposure and capsinoids independently of subject and treatment status. Circulating FT3 was higher in BAT-positive subjects and was a stronger predictor of EE changes after cold exposure and capsinoids in healthy humans. BAT activation elevates plasma FT4 acutely and may contribute towards augmentation of thermogenesis via a positive feedback response.

Santi

I have been listening to his podcast since day 1. The first episodes on improving sleep are PRICELESS, IMO. I have greatly improved my sleep and that of the people I work with by applying his principles.

I find his work to be very valuable. He tries his best to get practical tools out of existing scientific studies on a wide range of topics. He encourages testing, which is valuable.

Sometimes, he interpretates science in a way that does not align perfectly with Peat's views but, most of the time, he suggests protocols to hopefully replicate the results of the studies he analyzes.

Btw, his last podcast about Testosterone, Estrogen and Anger supports the idea of estrogen being the driver of angry behavior, as Georgi mentioned several times.

If in doubt, I encourage to give it a try. One can find many useful tools in his work.

daphne134

The good (awesome, actually): Dr. Huberman turned me on to inositol. Then I googled "Ray Peat inositol", as one does, and found that Peat likes it. So I bought some. Inositol is one of the most, if not the most, calming substances I've ever experienced. I really liked Huberman's discussion of what OCD really is in that episode.

The bad: Fish oil.