Ancient Chinese Were Peatarians

YuraCZ

tara said:
YuraCZ said:
Such_Saturation said:
Oh yeah, it is almost like eating only half the amount because fructose has almost no effect. But even pure glucose has lower glycemic index than certain rices.

And who eats just plain rice.. Rice with some protein and/or fats and glycemic index doesn't mean nothing. So where is a problem. Almost everybody in the fitness industry uses white rice as a main carb source and nobody has issues with high GI..
The fitness industry and serious athletes are not representative of the population. I would expect them to have greater glycogen storage capacity on average and therefore to handle starches better than average, maybe to have more leeway in their diet for 'empty' calories than people who eat less altogether, and maybe to have a greater need for high density carbs, that would be harder to satisfy with fruit alone, even aside from the cost and availability (which are not trivial factors for most of the population).
I agree :wink: But like I said. You don't get fat just because you ate rice.. It is always excess what makes you fat and no 3 cups of rice a day lol..

pboy said:
starch is meant to make wall paper paste and stiffen clothes before you iron them

Yes, that is exactly what evolution intended for starch. Through millions and millions of years of plant biology and the storage organ of energy, and the fact that we are the most amylase producing primates, all nature wanted was for humans to use it so they can have a stiff shirt...starting only a couple hundred years ago. Yep.

Never mind the fact that cultures such as West Africa hold the yam in high regard:

"The New Yam Festival of the Igbo people (Orureshi in the idoma area, Iwa ji, Iri ji or Ike ji, depending on dialect) is an annual New yam harvest festival by the Igbo people held at the end of the rainy season in early August. The Iwa ji festival (literally "new-yam eating") is practiced throughout West Africa (especially in Nigeria and Ghana) and other African countries and beyond, symbolizing the conclusion of a harvest and the beginning of the next work cycle. The celebration is a very culturally based occasion, tying individual Igbo communities together as essentially agrarian and dependent on yam."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content ... ture.shtml

The yam is a tropical tuber by the way. Fruits are not the only tropical carbohydrate source.

YuraCZ said:
Myself with rice and rice cakes as the main source of carbs for about 8 years.. It's about overall calorie intake. You can be fat as f*** eating just oranges..

Wow. 8 years of white rice and rice cakes? According to *(moderator edit to delete name calling)*, you should be a full blown type two diabetic right now, with starch particles stuck in your lymph nodes causing soft tissue damage. Are you sure you're okay? Are you sure you have no starch particles stuck in you? Are you sure that all that glucose didn't turn to fat and you just photo shopped that pic? I mean, protein is just as as insulinogenic as glucose but let's just ignore that completely.

YuraCZ

Westside PUFAs said:
YuraCZ said:
Myself with rice and rice cakes as the main source of carbs for about 8 years.. It's about overall calorie intake. You can be fat as f*** eating just oranges..

Wow. 8 years of white rice and rice cakes? According to *(moderator edit to delete name calling)*, you should be a full blown type two diabetic right now, with starch particles stuck in your lymph nodes causing soft tissue damage. Are you sure you're okay? Are you sure you have no starch particles stuck in you? Are you sure that all that glucose didn't turn to fat and you just photo shopped that pic? I mean, protein is just as as insulinogenic as glucose but let's just ignore that completely.
Heh I know A LOT of guys(bodybuilders 40+ years old) and they eat basically nothing but rice, chicken breasts, oats, some beef and whey protein for about 15-20 years every day all day in huge quantities and they look much healthier than average Joes. :)

OP
S

sugar daddy

Westside why do you feel the need to call people names?

Whats so bad about contemplating the idea that starches might have some health issues?

You're certainly right that lots of people in the world eat starches and grains and seem totally healthy, but you could say the same for PUFAs as many do.
The human body and its physical processes are extremely complicated.
They're probably isn't an ideal diet so why are you so aggressively sure about everything?

anyway thanks for leading the thread down this negative bickering path.

YuraCZ

sugar daddy said:
Westside why do you feel the need to call people names?

Whats so bad about contemplating the idea that starches might have some health issues?

You're certainly right that lots of people in the world eat starches and grains and seem totally healthy, but you could say the same for PUFAs as many do.
The human body and its physical processes are extremely complicated.
They're probably isn't an ideal diet so why are you so aggressively sure about everything?

anyway thanks for leading the thread down this negative bickering path.
lol and why are people here so sure that rice is that bad? Absolutely same thing as Westside, just the opposite :roll: ... But I'm not with anyone. I'm with what works and rice works for me.. Look at those silly arguments from Tom for example(sumo wrestlers and rice etc..) A lot of people here uses just quotes and ideas from the other people and don't think for themselves.

gretchen

They were grounded and weren't nuked with EMFs. Their lives were truly natural. Ours aren't, and so now a lot of people don't tolerate starches.

I heard over the weekend they all contain gluten. Is that true of white rice? I tolerated it better ten years ago and ate from Chinese buffets regularly. Also, sushi, Panda Express, usually one meal per week. Chinese is actually some of my favorite food. My dad cooked it a lot growing up. Didn't bother much me nor cause weight gain, but all my health issues which used to be manageable have become worse in about the last 5-10 years.

Zachs

All starch is and always will be a survival or famine food. It's never been the focus of diets and always a last resort or in times of scarcity type food. Animals foods, greens and fruits have always been humans staple diet. Yes I'm aware that many populations eat starchs as the majority of their calories now but this is a neolithic idea, solving the problem of living in one area with thousands to millions of other people.

Whether some starch is good or bad is up for debate. I'm not saying that starch is not compatable with health but simply we never meant to eat it in any meaningful amount. Yes we can and do now, but should we is the question.

A

Anonymous

Zachs said:
All starch is and always will be a survival or famine food. It's never been the focus of diets and always a last resort or in times of scarcity type food. Animals foods, greens and fruits have always been humans staple diet. Yes I'm aware that many populations eat starchs as the majority of their calories now but this is a neolithic idea, solving the problem of living in one area with thousands to millions of other people.

Whether some starch is good or bad is up for debate. I'm not saying that starch is not compatable with health but simply we never meant to eat it in any meaningful amount. Yes we can and do now, but should we is the question.

Bingo!!!! Starch ain't optimal, but it can work. Look at durianrider. He always says fruits are a better choice than starches.

pboy

ok, I admit it...I recently bought a bag of rice and flour...

I was making paper mache

im just joking btw on the above post, I know its edible, I wrote about the tradeoffs of various carb sources, rice is pure, but lack nutrients...quite simple, if you make up the nutrients its fine. I think having some fructose has a slight more mood boosting, inspiring effect but rice eaten freshly boiled and having the nutrients its lacking made up it would still support a pretty healthy life. Whether or not it supports the most optimal life, I don't know...the persorption thing is a potential huge factor, but again what I read is that its only dry heated and raw starch that is persporbed, boiled didn't get persorbed...it was just one paper though. To me its too annoying and time binding to cook a lot of starches and clean up after it, cause I don't like eating starch more than a couple hours after Its cooked, digestion changes signif. So if im hungry already I don't want to wait for something to cook, and I have a small stomach so I cant just fill up 2-3 times a day, I gotta eat like 5 times. And plus it just doesn't taste as good, the rice alone is fine but the other stuff to eat to make up the nutrients isn't as pleasant, I don't like vegetables or non sweet fruit that much...they seem more like a chore to eat than a joy. And smoething like potato or sweet potato, that has nutrients, give huge gas and just aren't pleasant like 2 horus after eating them

EIRE24

In my opinion, I think fruit can be problem for a lot of people and I know it is and was for me and I think its mostly because of the quality and ripeness of it. Unless you live in Thailand or Hawaii where the quality and ripeness of the fruit is top class I think people will have problems with it. I do much better with starch like rice and potatoes but thats just my opinion and experience.

Parsifal

pboy said:
post 81242 white rice alone becomes probably 75% fat, white rice eaten with cucumbers and carrots, or pumpking soup like whoever posted about, almost all turns into glycogen...its kinda simple...I mean its as complex as the world to people that don't understand, but its all about nutrients with digestible carbs = glycogen. Digestible carbs without nutrients = fat and sugar problems. Indigestible carbohydrates (or unabsorbable) = bacteria food, gas, endotoxin. This applies to glucose and fructose

Isn't carrot full of undigestible carbohydrates? Isn't pure sugar like honey or orange juice fermenting in the gut causing gas?

Last edited by a moderator:

uuy8778yyi

Starch is not detected in the blood if you ear sprouted corn/ masa harina though

tara

Parsifal said:
post 98447 Isn't carrot full of undigestible carbohydrates? Isn't pure sugar like honey or orange juice fermenting in the gut causing gas?
I think Peat favours raw carrot fibre over many others becasue it is less digestible by gut microbes too.

I get a lot less gas the last couple of years since eating a lot more juice and sucrose and a lot less starch and fibre. May depend on which microbes are hanging out where.

Parsifal

tara said:
post 98494
Parsifal said:
post 98447 Isn't carrot full of undigestible carbohydrates? Isn't pure sugar like honey or orange juice fermenting in the gut causing gas?
I think Peat favours raw carrot fibre over many others becasue it is less digestible by gut microbes too.

I get a lot less gas the last couple of years since eating a lot more juice and sucrose and a lot less starch and fibre. May depend on which microbes are hanging out where.

What about psyllium fibre?

Philomath

YuraCZ said:
post 81241 The obvious factor is food. Sumo wrestlers follow a diet that focuses on a high intake of fats and carbohydrates.They consume a special stew called Chanko Nabe. This stew contains chicken, fish, prawns, tofu,bean sprouts, onions, cabbage and other vegetables. They eat many bowls of this and rice throughout the day.

A sumo wrestlers diet is, however, not as important as their lifestyle. And when I say ‘lifestyle’, I mean their sleeping and eating habits.Their exceptionally large weight is achieved through very rigorous eating and sleeping strategies.

Their routine is to sleep- a lot! They take naps after lunch and have their heaving meal right before sleeping. The meals are processed for storage (as fat), instead of being used for energy. The fact that the meal is not being used for enables the fat to stay on as storage.

Skipping breakfast is also another very important factor that contributes to the large amount of weight these wrestlers gain. This
can not only trigger overeating later in the day but can also cause a drop in metabolism. It was found in research that people who do have breakfast, like sumo wrestlers have a five-percent lower metabolism than those who don't skip breakfast. This is because by consuming calories, our body uses more energy to digest and absorb the food.

Sumo wrestlers also always drink beer with their meals. Alcoholic drinks contain large amounts of ‘empty calories’, meaning that they have absolutely no nutritional value except for providing energy. Since these wrestlers insist on sleeping after meals, all the energy from the meals is stored as fat.

Lastly, sumo wrestlers eat together, making the meal much more sociable. The more sociable the meal is, the more a person eats. Researchers have found that by eating with others and socializing we tend to consume more food because it takes us longer to get full. As sumo wrestlers are literally stuffing their stomachs to their limit with each meal, the more food and calories they intake, the more fat will be stored.

So that’s basically how sumo wrestlers gain a crazy amount of weight and manage to keep the fat on! Expectedly (yet unfortunately), their average life expectancy is between 60-65 years old. This is approximately ten years less than the average Japanese male. Their unhealthy lifestyle leads to illnesses such as diabetes, liver disease, heart disease, arthritis and high blood pressure.

Clearly, this is a lifestyle everyone must avoid!

Amna Kamran
Biology Writer

It's like they're bears preparing to hibernate! Maybe they are already in a partial hibernation state :eek:

X3CyO

So for the people out there who are eating a "peat diet", you just eat fruit, liver, gelatin, and coffee?