Ancient Anti-Inflammatory Drug Has Cancer-Fighting Properties

Agent207

"“Salicylic acid is one of the oldest drugs on the planet, dating back to the Egyptians and the Greeks, but we’re still discovering new things about it,” said senior author Eric Verdin, MD, associate director of the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology. “Uncovering this pathway of inflammation that salicylic acid acts upon opens up a host of new clinical possibilities for these drugs.”"

Salicylate, diflunisal and their metabolites inhibit CBP/p300 and exhibit anticancer activity

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rightagain

Birdie

@Agent207 Do you know anything about the "p 300 lysine acetyltransferase" that the aspirin and difusinal are blocking?

When I see lysine mentioned, like this, I get nervous:

"both salicylate and diflunisal blocked the acetylation of lysine residues on histone and non-histone proteins in cells."

Maybe I'll do a search, but no guarantee I'll understand what I find....

Philomath

"“Salicylic acid is one of the oldest drugs on the planet, dating back to the Egyptians and the Greeks, but we’re still discovering new things about it,” said senior author Eric Verdin, MD, associate director of the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology. “Uncovering this pathway of inflammation that salicylic acid acts upon opens up a host of new clinical possibilities for these drugs.”"

Salicylate, diflunisal and their metabolites inhibit CBP/p300 and exhibit anticancer activity

@haidut , (or any other chemists, Pharmacists or researchers on the forum) this study mentions Diflunal as a treatment for types of cancer. I did not find any mention of Diflunal (Dolobid) in any of Dr. Peat's articles or in this forum. I guess it was created as a diabetes drug a while back. I'm wondering if its still around and potentially useful - especially for those that don't tolerate Aspirin well.

"Now, Shirakawa et al. – who include a researcher involved in the 2001 study – show that salicylate does indeed block the activity of the p300 enzyme. Shirakawa et al. then searched a database looking for drugs that have salicylate as part of their molecular structure. The search led to a drug called diflunisal, which was even more effective at blocking p300 in laboratory tests.
Some cancers, including a blood cancer, rely on p300 to grow; diflunisal was shown to stop this kind of cancer cell from growing, both in the laboratory and in mice. Together, the experiments suggest that salicylate and drugs that share some of its structure might represent useful treatments for certain cancers, as well as other diseases that involve the p300 enzyme."

Back
Top Bottom