Anal Fissure

Amazoniac

I had something to say but forgot what it was((
Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease (978-1-60547-461-8)
"The interconversion and metabolism of vitamin B6 depend on riboflavin, niacin, and zinc (see Fig. 24.2). Both PN [pyridoxine] (PM [pyridoxamine]) phosphate oxidase and aldehyde oxidase require riboflavin in the forms of FMN and FAD, respectively. Niacin, as NAD, serves as coenzyme for aldehyde dehydrogenase. The phosphorylation of vitamin B6 is catalyzed by PL [pyridoxal] kinase, which requires zinc as cofactor. Insufficient dietary intake of these nutrients may adversely affect the metabolic utilization of vitamin B6."

Amazoniac

perhaps I need to try some brewers yeast steeped water
Linoleic Acid: Is This The Key That Unlocks The Quantum Brain?
sensitivity-png.6833

Travis

Unfortunately, no. Or maybe I would be a little more accepting of the discomfort...

Not to mention I've given up on sex many moon cycles in the past. Everyone I come across in my day to day is just so uninteresting in that regard...
You mean . . . You mean you don't remember that? (*Wink* There was a rufie in the olive.)

DrJ

A lack of fiber is likely a great contributor. You're probably eating mostly foods that don't ferment, but your intestines have to move fast to not have a problem from this. Cheese is very safe and sterilizing, bacteria can't feast on it and so they won't attract water when there's no substrate, and instead they probably switch to a more or less hibernating state; for that, less water than normal is desired; it's what Ray talked about happening in deserts, but to a much milder degree. This in turn makes everything very dry and the butthole is injured by a drier stool. I believe it's that simple. And I also believe it's more about finding agreeable fiber than avoiding fermentable ones, unless they're in excess.

This is really helpful. This and the related Ray Peat email you linked have helped me understand finally why cheese and milk are so different digesting, when I had always assumed they would act mostly the same since I thought of them being the same "raw material." Ice cream, on the other hand, seems to be just right. Know of any deeper reading I could do on this?

walker_in_aus

lol, sounds like spin the bottle.. but more painful

back to anal fissures, you can also try packing the fissure with sugar. Ray recommended that for speeding healing

I'm not sure you've ever had one - to say "pack the fissure with sugar" OH MY GOD the pain would be horrendous

x-ray peat

I'm not sure you've ever had one - to say "pack the fissure with sugar" OH MY GOD the pain would be horrendous
I didnt say salt, I said sugar... and no it doesnt hurt at all.
“Applying glucose and insulin topically to the wound, it heals quickly. The very old practice of treating deep wounds with honey or granulated sugar has been studied in controlled situations, including the treatment of diabetic ulcers, infected deep wounds following heart surgery, and wounds of lepers. The treatment eradicates bacterial infections better than some antiseptics, and accelerates healing without scarring, or with minimal scarring. The sugar regulates the communication between cells, and optimizes the synthesis of collagen and extracellular matrix.” -Ray Peat, PhD

and for those with strong stomachs, the mother of all fissures

Attachments

• Sugar to Reduce a Prolapsed Ileostomy nejmicm1012908.pdf
    275.2 KB · Views: 45

walker_in_aus

I didnt say salt, I said sugar... and no it doesnt hurt at all.

It's more the adjective and the action of PACKING granulated sugar INTO an open wound in a sensitive area, sounds horrendous. I will try anything once though ahhaa!

x-ray peat

It's more the adjective and the action of PACKING granulated sugar INTO an open wound in a sensitive area, sounds horrendous. I will try anything once though ahhaa!
hahah packing may have been the wrong word to use. should have said sprinkle gently:)

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

This is really helpful. This and the related Ray Peat email you linked have helped me understand finally why cheese and milk are so different digesting, when I had always assumed they would act mostly the same since I thought of them being the same "raw material." Ice cream, on the other hand, seems to be just right. Know of any deeper reading I could do on this?

I am starting to think cheese was the whole problem with me.

Amazoniac

I don't remember the exact chapter, but you know that dried foods in comparison with their natural state are much more resistant to microbial spoilage. Powdered milch lasts way more than UHT-treated milkzords. One of the reasons why Zeus added alcohol to his product is to prevent this growth, since it has attractive vitamins and plenty of liquid.

It's expected that they've developed ways to control the amount of water that's desired for their growth. One of those is probably through bile manipulation. Ice cream is a different story than cheese, it stimulates bile release better since the disproportionate amount of calcium in relation to magnesium and the lack of taurine in pasteurized cheese go against its release. Bile flushes consist mainly of a buttload of fat, excess magnesium and some organic acid. It's confusing to talk about fat intake by itself as you can have completely different outcomes depending on everything else.
Disturbs in bile are known for disturbing transit time and give people weird stools (bricks or watery/fatty), and messed up gut microbes go hand in hand. Here the mucusless have collected some pieces that mention hydrophobicity/philicity of bile acids and how those can be manipulated by deconjugation in the intestines:
Bile acid - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Endotoxin And Fat Consumption
"fodmaps [lactose is included here] osmotic" "antibiotic constipation"
The Influence Of Intestinal Bacteria Upon The Thyroid Gland (1923)
How do salt and sugar prevent microbial spoilage?

Last edited:
OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

A lack of fiber is likely a great contributor. You're probably eating mostly foods that don't ferment, but your intestines have to move fast to not have a problem from this. Cheese is very safe and sterilizing, bacteria can't feast on it and so they won't attract water when there's no substrate, and instead they probably switch to a more or less hibernating state; for that, less water than normal is desired; it's what Ray talked about happening in deserts, but to a much milder degree. This in turn makes everything very dry and the butthole is injured by a drier stool. I believe it's that simple. And I also believe it's more about finding agreeable fiber than avoiding fermentable ones, unless they're in excess.
Papayas, mangoes, apples, dates, figs, persimmons, etc; can help.

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

But were milk carbs present?
So, even plain lactose for example, as I posted elsewhere, will do.

I think you may have got this spot on with the cheese I think it was doing exactly as you said, drying out and causing injury. Thanks again.

Amazoniac

Guru, allow me to clarify what I mean by my previous post:
If bile acids can be manipulated in a way to controls water, they could potentially substitute for a lack of sufficient fiber (osmotic fodmaps above). This is what occurs with ice creams as they're not constipating at all despite providing no fiber. I know protein is involved, and it can explain in part the constipating but not the drying effect. Also, you would expect that as the calcium content of a cheese decreases or its heat treatment is minimized, its constipating/drying effect is reduced in a fair comparison.

Another aspect for you to consider is that, if you live in a sunny area and still avoid the sun (you mentioned vit D deficiency elsewhere), it can be a protective behavior to avoid further depletion of B-vitamins. This is expected unless the person has no choice but to expose due to job demands for example.
"Factory workers would take their lunch between factory buildings. If the sun came round so that it shone into the corridor, some workers would get the first symptoms of the disease. It was evident that the sun’s rays would stress them sufficiently to initiate these symptoms. It was therefore hardly surprising that the etiology in the early 1900s, before its nutritional association became common knowledge, was considered to be from infection."
There are more sunny mentions in the actual article. This occurs with other B-vitamins, with niacin is classic.

Last edited:
OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

Guru, allow me to clarify what I mean by my previous post:
If bile acids can be manipulated in a way to controls water, they could potentially substitute for a lack of sufficient fiber (osmotic fodmaps above). This is what occurs with ice creams as they're not constipating at all despite providing no fiber. I know protein is involved, and it can explain in part the constipating but not the drying effect. Also, you would expect that as the calcium content of a cheese decreases or its heat treatment is minimized, its constipating/drying effect is reduced in a fair comparison.

Another aspect for you to consider is that, if you live in a sunny area and still avoid the sun (you mentioned vit D deficiency elsewhere), it can be a protective behavior to avoid further depletion of B-vitamins. This is expected unless the person has no choice but to expose due to job demands for example.

There are more sunny mentions in the actual article. This occurs with other B-vitamins, with niacin is classic.

Very interesting post. So vitamin D increases demands for B vitamins? Or is it just the heat that causes extra stress that increases the demands for B vitamins, do you think? If the first perhaps that's one reason why people have negative reactions to vitamin D supplementation

Amazoniac

Very interesting post. So vitamin D increases demands for B vitamins? Or is it just the heat that causes extra stress that increases the demands for B vitamins, do you think? If the first perhaps that's one reason why people have negative reactions to vitamin D supplementation
I guess sunshine is stimulating, and anything that does such thing will demand more nutrition, you know the story. Perhaps it involves both, the radiation but the nutrient itself because there is this doctor that I often mention, I'll quote her own words. She noticed the following from supplemental vit D:
Right now she advocates a specific and questionable diet as a comprehensive program, but I believe these observations came when she was still ignorant about nutrition, so they're valuable even though her explanations are suspicious and they can mean something else. It can be as simple as a magnesium deficiency after prolonged vit D supplementation and therefore more vitamins are needed because the body is having difficulty utilizing them properly.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

I guess sunshine is stimulating, and anything that does such thing will demand more nutrition, you know the story. Perhaps it involves both, the radiation but the nutrient itself because there is this doctor that I often mention, I'll quote her own words. She noticed the following from supplemental vit D:

Right now she advocates a specific and questionable diet as a comprehensive program, but I believe these observations came when she was still ignorant about nutrition, so they're valuable even though her explanations are suspicious and they can mean something else. It can be as simple as a magnesium deficiency after prolonged vit D supplementation and therefore more vitamins are needed because the body is having difficulty utilizing them properly.

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look. So is the take home message from this, have a very nutrient dense diet, get lots of all the vitamins, don't just focus on one (For example, poor diet but supplementing D and nothing else)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals