An Increase In Serum C18 Unsaturated Free Fatty Acids As A Predictor Of The Development Of ARDS

Jam

Not sure if this has been posted before. Seems highly relevant given the Covid-19 pandemic...

CONCLUSIONS:

Increases in unsaturated serum acyl chain ratios differentiate between healthy and seriously iII patients, and identify those patients likely to develop ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome). Thus, the serum acyl ratio may not only prospectively identify and facilitate the assessment of new treatments in patients at highest risk for developing ARDS, but may also lead to new insights about the pathogenesis of ARDS.

Some quotes from Peter at Hyperlipid:

- "If you are a Standard American on the Standard American Diet, or anyone else in the world poisoned by a cardiologist-promoted PUFA based diet, any weight loss through illness will release significant amounts of linoleic acid from your adipocytes. That might just trigger ARDS in the aftermath of a viral pneumonia."

- "If you are in an ITU and need parenteral calories you are going to get Intralipd, intravenous soy oil, literally mainlined."

Goat-e

- "If you are in an ITU and need parenteral calories you are going to get Intralipd, intravenous soy oil, literally mainlined."
:eek:

Broken man

So if somebody wants to lose weight, he needs vitamin E to counteract the linoleic acid Ye? @Hans if you have time, do you know? Thank you.

Hans

Forum Supporter
So if somebody wants to lose weight, he needs vitamin E to counteract the linoleic acid Ye? @Hans if you have time, do you know? Thank you.
The complete oxidation of PUFA is not harmful. The end products are H2O, CO2 and ATP. But if the fat oxidation inhibits glucose oxidation it's bad. PUFAs are also susceptible to free radicals, so protecting them with vitamin E can help, but vitamin E doesn't provide complete protection. Someone generating less ROS will have less PUFA oxidation than someone with a dysfunctional cell producing more ROS.
Things that quench free radicals and support the electron transport chain, such as methylene blue, vitamin C, succinic acid, red light, vitamin K2, coQ10, niacinamide, B2, etc., will lower ROS and result in less PUFA oxidation.
So vitamin E can help, but lowering excess ROS should also be a focus.
I'm not saying everyone should take all those supplements, but if someone already has a lot of inflammation, they will be beneficial.

Broken man

The complete oxidation of PUFA is not harmful. The end products are H2O, CO2 and ATP. But if the fat oxidation inhibits glucose oxidation it's bad. PUFAs are also susceptible to free radicals, so protecting them with vitamin E can help, but vitamin E doesn't provide complete protection. Someone generating less ROS will have less PUFA oxidation than someone with a dysfunctional cell producing more ROS.
Things that quench free radicals and support the electron transport chain, such as methylene blue, vitamin C, succinic acid, red light, vitamin K2, coQ10, niacinamide, B2, etc., will lower ROS and result in less PUFA oxidation.
So vitamin E can help, but lowering excess ROS should also be a focus.
I'm not saying everyone should take all those supplements, but if someone already has a lot of inflammation, they will be beneficial.
I am asking because I lost some weight but my TSH jumped from 3,1 to 4,9 And I am feeling very bad right now. I was taking inosine And vitamin K2 And this still happenned. So I thought IT would be good to add vitamin E.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I am asking because I lost some weight but my TSH jumped from 3,1 to 4,9 And I am feeling very bad right now. I was taking inosine And vitamin K2 And this still happenned. So I thought IT would be good to add vitamin E.
Yes, but it's not necessarily PUFAs that's increasing TSH. How big was your deficit? Did you eat enough protein? Something else, perhaps the deficit, could be causing stress and that is why you're feeling worse.

Broken man

Yes, but it's not necessarily PUFAs that's increasing TSH. How big was your deficit? Did you eat enough protein? Something else, perhaps the deficit, could be causing stress and that is why you're feeling worse.
All that changed was that I started to do physically hard job, the weight was going down very fast but its true that Its more stress fór my body.

Hans

Forum Supporter
All that changed was that I started to do physically hard job, the weight was going down very fast but its true that Its more stress fór my body.
Dropping weight means that you have created a deficit with physical activity. Light activity is less stressful than hard activity. Vitamin E can help lower inflammation if it's in excess. Maybe eating more and using an adaptogen will be more helpful.

dabdabdab

Dropping weight means that you have created a deficit with physical activity. Light activity is less stressful than hard activity. Vitamin E can help lower inflammation if it's in excess. Maybe eating more and using an adaptogen will be more helpful.
Can you recommend a good adaptogen? (non estrogenic)

Hans

Forum Supporter
Can you recommend a good adaptogen? (non estrogenic)
Phosphatidylserine, ashwagandha (however it might dampen your emotions), aspirin, taurine, cholesterol, Schisandra, etc.