An Antibiotic May Be The Cure To Stop Men From Cheating

schultz

lol, that's bizarre! I'm trying to determine the mechanism for this. LPS reduction? But why would it produce that outcome?

Edit: I am obviously assuming the antibiotic is having an action that I deem to be positive, partly due to my personal ethics and partly due to my opinion of antibiotics based on Peat's writting, but I suppose it could be having a negative one.

J

jb116

As schultz mentioned, I agree, that an LPS reduction is at play. This balanced hormones, specifically reducing estrogen which probably interferes with critical thinking and promotes blind aggression instead.

Don't like the title however. What a loaded statement, as if women don't cheat. Why not "An Antibiotic May Be The Cure To Stop People From Cheating" ??

Ulysses

ddjd

i think cheating tendencies relates to high estrogen

J

jb116

The study was conducted with men, not women, so without referring to other studies, we can't have any idea whether it would make a difference in the fidelity of women. Technically speaking, the title is accurate.
Sure, they could do that and technically they aren't wrong. However, and I think what I'm about to say goes hand-in-hand with the spirit of Dr. Peat and this forum, when posting scientific things one should be responsible and tactful. You can be both of those things and still be accurate in what you convey. Technically, I'm referring to the posted article. And since you reference the publication itself, if we break all of it down, not just the straight science of it, you'll notice it's skewed to create this image of men being cheating fiends. Wording is so important. It's not just straight facts it is editorialized and sensationalized. I'm not fond of that kind of media, we get enough of it in our modern day. Everything from the title for example to bits within the article. Title could have been more accurately and blandly stated as "An Antibiotic May Prevent Infidelity In Male Subjects" or "The Prevention of Infidelity by Antibiotic in Male Subjects." Along with tweaks within the body of the article itself, I would look at it and think something very differently in terms of agenda or hyperbole. How we convey scientific results can influence how laymen think. Most people won't go and decipher the studies, they'll run with the article its editorializing.

Ulysses

Sure, they could do that and technically they aren't wrong. However, and I think what I'm about to say goes hand-in-hand with the spirit of Dr. Peat and this forum, when posting scientific things one should be responsible and tactful. You can be both of those things and still be accurate in what you convey. Technically, I'm referring to the posted article. And since you reference the publication itself, if we break all of it down, not just the straight science of it, you'll notice it's skewed to create this image of men being cheating fiends. Wording is so important. It's not just straight facts it is editorialized and sensationalized. I'm not fond of that kind of media, we get enough of it in our modern day. Everything from the title for example to bits within the article. Title could have been more accurately and blandly stated as "An Antibiotic May Prevent Infidelity In Male Subjects" or "The Prevention of Infidelity by Antibiotic in Male Subjects." Along with tweaks within the body of the article itself, I would look at it and think something very differently in terms of agenda or hyperbole. How we convey scientific results can influence how laymen think. Most people won't go and decipher the studies, they'll run with the article its editorializing.
I agree with you, and actually, after reading the study a second time, I take back what I said about the title being accurate, because they didn't measure a decrease in cheating behavior. They measured a change in the way the men perceived the women, and then inferred, without supporting evidence, that it would lead to a decrease in cheating behavior.

J

jb116

I agree with you, and actually, after reading the study a second time, I take back what I said about the title being accurate, because they didn't measure a decrease in cheating behavior. They measured a change in the way the men perceived the women, and then inferred, without supporting evidence, that it would lead to a decrease in cheating behavior.
Ha good catch! Even more crap to battle against: assumptions and correlations from the "scientific crew" on top of editorializing from the "media crew."