An anti-supplement? Cooking pan safety

Swandattur

I just realized that I haven't discontinued using a tea kettle for heating water for coffee and tea. I have mostly switched over to using glass and better quality Teflon in cooking, since Peat suggests those are better. However, I realize I'm still using the tea kettle. I just checked the tea kettle and it is strongly magnetic which is supposed to mean it is good quality safe steel for cooking, I think. None of my other steel cooking pans is magnetic. Anyway, it appears to be enameled inside as well as out. Not sure if that's good.

pboy

I think Peat mentioned that the non magnetic steel might leech ...nickel was it? maybe aluminum? I think the amount is very small ...stainless steel is a good option compared to almost anything else. The enamel is ok (its basically glass), but if it starts chipping then the cast iron underneath might get exposed (if its a cast iron pot), and you could potentially absorb some of the iron. Apparently you can get chromium from cooking in and storing food in stainless steel, a good but not excess amount, and it is estimated a lot americans get most of their chromium through this method...so a good stainless steel might be the best thing, though glass is ultimately the safest ( I guess copper would be good also, but its super expensive).
Im hoping someone else has more insight about the non magnetic steel...cause I think might be using some also

jyb

pboy said:
I think Peat mentioned that the non magnetic steel might leech ...nickel was it? maybe aluminum? I think the amount is very small ...stainless steel is a good option compared to almost anything else. The enamel is ok (its basically glass), but if it starts chipping then the cast iron underneath might get exposed (if its a cast iron pot), and you could potentially absorb some of the iron. Apparently you can get chromium from cooking in and storing food in stainless steel, a good but not excess amount, and it is estimated a lot americans get most of their chromium through this method...so a good stainless steel might be the best thing, though glass is ultimately the safest ( I guess copper would be good also, but its super expensive).
Im hoping someone else has more insight about the non magnetic steel...cause I think might be using some also

See RP's FAQ on this regarding nickel, magnetic steel etc: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

pboy

thanks jyb, that sums it up perfectly....now to find a magnet

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
A lot of people have a magnet on the fridge.

4peatssake

Charlie said:
A lot of people have [strike]a[/strike] many magnets on the fridge.

1344187562153_magnetifrigo.jpg

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
See, told ya so.

Attachments

• eh.jpg
    eh.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 782

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
4peatssake said:
Charlie said:
A lot of people have [strike]a[/strike] many magnets on the fridge.

1344187562153_magnetifrigo.jpg

:shock: Just a few, 4Peats! Lol
Well, that's not my fridge, mine is not as neat because all the magnets are holding up papers and stuff! :rofl

OP
S

Swandattur

I keep not getting emails about responses to my posts. Could be I'm forgetting to check that I would like to notified. Anyway, thanks for the input. I did check my stainless steel cooking pans with a refrigerator (in fact) magnet a while back and only one was magnetic. It must be that the kettle is enamel over steel, because it's too light to be iron. Anyway, I guess I haven't been continuing to poison myself with aluminum or whatever with the kettle. :)
Thanks for posting the link to the article about iron in cooking pans. There are several other interesting tips there, too, like remembering to eat shrimp to get enough copper which helps on the iron problem. He says nickel in non magnetic pans is worse for you than iron and aluminum. I remember my youngest son would react to the nickel in the snaps on his jeans as a kid. I had to get him pull up style pants or sew something over the snap.

Beebop

I was using a cast iron kettle :shock:
Now I use a pyrex saucepan with a metal lid or a plate as a lid. It's not a kettle. But it's also not cast iron :D
If anyone knows of a good pyrex stove top kettle - I want one!

4peatssake

Beebop

Ooh thanks 4Peats! I don't know why my previous searches turned up nothing... they are obviously available!

Jenn

Beebop said:
I was using a cast iron kettle :shock:
Now I use a pyrex saucepan with a metal lid or a plate as a lid. It's not a kettle. But it's also not cast iron :D
If anyone knows of a good pyrex stove top kettle - I want one!

Yeah, I see them in the local thrift stores all the time. I can only hope they have not been previously used for meth production. :shock:

My mom prefers the blue cornflower corning ware tea pots. The coffee pot was the "asparagus cooker" growing up. On a side note....She thought coffee was bad. She kept beans in the freezer for company. Every once in a while, she would take some out, sniff it and put it back. :roll:

4peatssake

Jenn said:
Every once in a while, she would take some out, sniff it and put it back. :roll:
:lol: I bet she took a quick look around to see if anyone was looking before sneaking a whiff! ;)
Reminds me of my mom hiding her stash of chocolates thinking they were really bad!

OP
S

Swandattur

Aw, she only got to sniff! The beans do smell good though. Talk about aroma therapy! I just found that my crepe pan, which hasn't had much use lately, is magnetic steel. It has worked very well in it's crepe pan capacity. It's one of my favorite pans. Lately, since I've been off starches, it hasn't had any use as a crepe pan. If I get to where I can have some starch, crepes are good, because they can be mostly egg, anyway. Maybe I will try something with the organic masa I got recently.

OP
S

Swandattur

My mom has always kept and still keeps a chocolate stash, but I don't think it was from thinking it a weakness. I think she just figures if it's out of site, it will last longer. I wish I could still eat chocolate. I made my husband a chocolate birthday cake, because he wanted one, even though I can't eat it because of both the chocolate and the starch. I think making it and not eating any did something to me. I may not do it again. Just too painful. Maybe the body produces insulin from the smell.