Amylase Expression In Saliva, STARCH

Drareg

Amylase is epigentically expressed in saliva based on the amount of starch been consumed.
When you lower starch ,the Amylase enzyme down regulates. There is different levels of expression.

When people claim they crave starch it may well be the synergy effect from taste in food has something missing, it should dissapear as amylase down regulates.

Many cultures have high expression,some have lower, this even applies in the same country/culture.

Many claim starches made us more intelligent as this enzyme was "naturally selected" to helps us digest starch therefore consume more calories.
This is open to interpretation, it is entirely plausible that ease of farming starches compared to fruit allowed more calories to be consumed,less competition also for starches in wildlife compared to fruit.

The question I would ask is, if the ancient cultures had access to more fruit without foraging effort required would they have preferred the fruit, the likely outcome is yes and we would have been smarter, potentially it may have down regulated the whole human sacrificing thing also.

To test the hypothesis we will crowdfund an experiment as follows:
find a tribe that is still foraging and not consuming starch ,no amylase expressed . Keep delivering "peaty" fruits to them for a generation and see how they develope, fruits will be delivered in a box to a location that requires slight exertion, a nice walk and then the weight lifting of said box back to village.

Any thoughts?

jaguar43

Amylase is epigentically expressed in saliva based on the amount of starch been consumed.
When you lower starch ,the Amylase enzyme down regulates. There is different levels of expression.

When people claim they crave starch it may well be the synergy effect from taste in food has something missing, it should dissapear as amylase down regulates.

Many cultures have high expression,some have lower, this even applies in the same country/culture.

Many claim starches made us more intelligent as this enzyme was "naturally selected" to helps us digest starch therefore consume more calories.
This is open to interpretation, it is entirely plausible that ease of farming starches compared to fruit allowed more calories to be consumed,less competition also for starches in wildlife compared to fruit.

The question I would ask is, if the ancient cultures had access to more fruit without foraging effort required would they have preferred the fruit, the likely outcome is yes and we would have been smarter, potentially it may have down regulated the whole human sacrificing thing also.

To test the hypothesis we will crowdfund an experiment as follows:
find a tribe that is still foraging and not consuming starch ,no amylase expressed . Keep delivering "peaty" fruits to them for a generation and see how they develope, fruits will be delivered in a box to a location that requires slight exertion, a nice walk and then the weight lifting of said box back to village.

Any thoughts?

I think the adaptation is more or less induced within a person's development. Ray Peat has said that animals when given a certain type of food had extended or shorted intestines. I wouldn't be surprise if people could down regulate their Amylase enzyme within a few weeks by not eating starches. I think people crave starches due to the stimulation of insulin. Fruit doesn't increase insulin and has minerals that stabilize blood sugar.

I heard that people living within the tropics eat fruit sometimes as a meal.

There are interesting starches like maize cooked in lime. Ray Peat has said that when he and his students ate tamales and tortillas they tested their blood and found no starch molecules like other starchy foods. The mayans lived off maize and were very smart people in mathematics and astronomy.

Starches are probably a small variable in intelligence. I would advice you to read this article and shows a lot of misconceptions regarding intelligence and measuring intelligence.

Academic authoritarians, language, metaphor, animals, and science

Last edited:

Brian

I agree that abundant amylase is the key to thriving off starches. For me I observe amylase is produced in much greater quantities when I'm functioning in oxidative metabolism. The difference is extreme for me. Night and day. The difference between Endotoxin Hell or perfect digestion. But doesn't even sucrose require sucrase enzyme?

I don't think salivary amylase is the most important part of starch digestion though. I can swallow large amounts of starch without much chewing and salivating and it still digests perfectly when my metabolism is working well. So I think the pancreatic amylase secretion into the duodenum is the more important factor.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some biological limitations to how much amylase you can produce if your recent ancestors had zero exposure to starch, but that's probably only really the case if you have recent hunter gatherer ancestors from extreme environments.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I think the adaptation is more or less induced within a person's development. Ray Peat has said that animals when given a certain type of food had extended or shorted intestines. I wouldn't be surprise if people could down regulate their Amylase enzyme within a few weeks by not eating starches. I think people crave starches due to the stimulation of insulin. Fruit doesn't increase insulin and has minerals that stabilize blood sugar.

I heard that people living within the tropics eat fruit sometimes as a meal.

There are interesting starches like maize cooked in lime. Ray Peat has said that when he and his students ate tamales and tortillas they tested their blood and found no starch molecules like other starchy foods. The mayans lived off maize and were very smart people in mathematics and astronomy.

Starches are probably a small variable in intelligence. I would advice you to read this article and shows a lot of misconceptions regarding intelligence and measuring intelligence.

Academic authoritarians, language, metaphor, animals, and science

Yes it would be considered adaptive intelligence to consume these products because of energy wasted foraging fruit could be spent on different creative acts.
I don't think it's the end of the world to consume starch, like Brian says with a good metabolism in moderation.

The Mayans used a lot of entheogens, without them it would be interesting to see where they would be.
The entheogens correct electric current possibly removing excess stress substance. Essentially plugging you into the flow of reality.

It is still possible for somebody to continue to eat a poor diet and use some Peat recommended adaptogen daily or at the end of the week to rebalance.
Some bodybuilders will eat really poor diet but use t3 because they know that will burn up the calories,some still in great shape.

From a dietary point of view Do you think the flow of life through you With lesser foodstuffs effects consciousness,intelligence.
So the guy who follows perfect metabolic Peat guidelines but also follows dietary Peat guidelines V his twin who is metabolically following the same guidelines but eating carbs form grains and starch in general.
Hypothetically the environmental experience is identical ,which twin is more intelligent ?

jaguar43

Yes it would be considered adaptive intelligence to consume these products because of energy wasted foraging fruit could be spent on different creative acts.
I don't think it's the end of the world to consume starch, like Brian says with a good metabolism in moderation.

The Mayans used a lot of entheogens, without them it would be interesting to see where they would be.
The entheogens correct electric current possibly removing excess stress substance. Essentially plugging you into the flow of reality.

It is still possible for somebody to continue to eat a poor diet and use some Peat recommended adaptogen daily or at the end of the week to rebalance.
Some bodybuilders will eat really poor diet but use t3 because they know that will burn up the calories,some still in great shape.

From a dietary point of view Do you think the flow of life through you With lesser foodstuffs effects consciousness,intelligence.
So the guy who follows perfect metabolic Peat guidelines but also follows dietary Peat guidelines V his twin who is metabolically following the same guidelines but eating carbs form grains and starch in general.
Hypothetically the environmental experience is identical ,which twin is more intelligent ?

I think there is a lot of worse things to eat than starch. The things that effects my consciousness the most is eating enough protein and thyroid hormone. I would say the standard american could be protein deficient. Ray Peat has that when the author fyodor dostoevsky went to Siberia for prison. His conscious change because they ate more meat because of the long winter. But overall it's ideal to eat less starch and more fruit.

As for the intelligence, I don't really know. But I get the feeling that the differences between those who are considered intelligent and those that aren't is based on more than diet. Prenatal conditions, biological imprinting, pollutants in the environment, social class, culture, and expose to radiation. Have you read ray's article on HIV

If AIDS mortality rose rapidly to a peak a few years ago, and then began falling, we should ask whether this pattern fits that of other diseases discussed by Ilich. Looking for causes other than the virus, we might find a parallel in the rise and fall of some other factor.
In the 1950s, new diuretics came on the market, and millions of pregnant women took them. It was predicted that there would be an epidemic of brain damage as a result, and in fact the incidence of hyperactivity, attention-deficit, and other "minimal" brain damage disorders did rise during those years. After about 15-20 years, experiences such as the Thalidomide episode caused physicians to temper their enthusiasm for the use of drugs during pregnancy. The incidence of low birth-weight babies in the U.S. peaked around 1965, and 28 years later AIDS mortality in the US peaked. The rising curve had followed both the increase in radioactive fallout from atmospheric testing of large numbers of atomic bombs up to 1963, and the intense promotion of the new diuretics beginning in the early 1950s. The peak in AIDS mortality in 1993 came ten or twelve years after the long decline in SAT scores had stopped. (The most extreme declines in SAT scores had occurred among the brightest students, disproving the contention that the average score fell simply because more students were taking the tests.) The same prenatal damage which caused the extreme decline in SAT scores 18 years later (when the damaged babies reached that age) would have left many of the same individuals with weakened immune systems, which would fail prematurely, but at varying intervals, depending on the exposure to other factors.
The use of unleaded gasoline increased into the 1990s, and there was a corresponding decrease in tissue lead content, reflecting the smaller amount of lead being put into the environment. According to some reports, medical and dental x-ray exposures were declining during this period. Yet other factors, including dioxins and unsaturated dietary fats, were probably increasing.

Immunodeficiency, dioxins, stress, and the hormones

Last edited:
OP
Drareg

Drareg

Egg yolks have amylase present in them . Some fungi and plants.
Some recipes call for a boiled egg yolk to be added to the flour for pastry preparations. The lore says the pastry is more sandy in texture.
Why is there?

T

tobieagle

I am pretty convinced that ripe, tropical fruit is the superior food, just alone from one sensible argument:

It tastes awesome.
Starch without fat and spices doesn't.

There is a reason why our sense of taste is so sensible to sugars.

But from a practical point of view, I think it is often more reasonable to use potatoes as a stable instead of trying to get your sugars from iritating super market fruits.
Ray has said that many times himself. It's not only a matter of inadequate ripeness but of the stressful conditions in which many fruits are commercially grown. For example bananas.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I think there is a lot of worse things to eat than starch. The things that effects my consciousness the most is eating enough protein and thyroid hormone. I would say the standard american could be protein deficient. Ray Peat has that when the author fyodor dostoevsky went to Siberia for prison. His conscious change because they ate more meat because of the long winter. But overall it's ideal to eat less starch and more fruit.

As for the intelligence, I don't really know. But I get the feeling that the differences between those who are considered intelligent and those that aren't is based on more than diet. Prenatal conditions, biological imprinting, pollutants in the environment, social class, culture, and expose to radiation. Have you read ray's article on HIV

If AIDS mortality rose rapidly to a peak a few years ago, and then began falling, we should ask whether this pattern fits that of other diseases discussed by Ilich. Looking for causes other than the virus, we might find a parallel in the rise and fall of some other factor.
In the 1950s, new diuretics came on the market, and millions of pregnant women took them. It was predicted that there would be an epidemic of brain damage as a result, and in fact the incidence of hyperactivity, attention-deficit, and other "minimal" brain damage disorders did rise during those years. After about 15-20 years, experiences such as the Thalidomide episode caused physicians to temper their enthusiasm for the use of drugs during pregnancy. The incidence of low birth-weight babies in the U.S. peaked around 1965, and 28 years later AIDS mortality in the US peaked. The rising curve had followed both the increase in radioactive fallout from atmospheric testing of large numbers of atomic bombs up to 1963, and the intense promotion of the new diuretics beginning in the early 1950s. The peak in AIDS mortality in 1993 came ten or twelve years after the long decline in SAT scores had stopped. (The most extreme declines in SAT scores had occurred among the brightest students, disproving the contention that the average score fell simply because more students were taking the tests.) The same prenatal damage which caused the extreme decline in SAT scores 18 years later (when the damaged babies reached that age) would have left many of the same individuals with weakened immune systems, which would fail prematurely, but at varying intervals, depending on the exposure to other factors.
The use of unleaded gasoline increased into the 1990s, and there was a corresponding decrease in tissue lead content, reflecting the smaller amount of lead being put into the environment. According to some reports, medical and dental x-ray exposures were declining during this period. Yet other factors, including dioxins and unsaturated dietary fats, were probably increasing.

Immunodeficiency, dioxins, stress, and the hormones

Yes environmental stress is the main factor, diet is the environment signalling to the body, all the senses essentially.
Im not sure how the current system can be changed to allow people to have a reasonable environment, like he says we can empower ourselves through food and understanding how our body is working.

It's disturbing what's going on now economically, many people feeling like they have no purpose , they go to the very paradigm that is hurting them for help.

jaguar43

Yes environmental stress is the main factor, diet is the environment signalling to the body, all the senses essentially.
Im not sure how the current system can be changed to allow people to have a reasonable environment, like he says we can empower ourselves through food and understanding how our body is working.

It's disturbing what's going on now economically, many people feeling like they have no purpose , they go to the very paradigm that is hurting them for help.

I think diet is probably more important environmental variable in any stage of development. But he has also wrote on certain substances like methylene blue, urea, DCA certain vitamins and mineral that are more specialized for problems that can't be fixed through specific diet. From my own experience, I concluded that certain substance with a good diet minimizing the most dangerous ingredients ( PUFA, msg, additives, carregean, gums ) are better than just an extremely strict diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals