Amino Acid Content And Profile Of Some Proteinaceous Foods

Amazoniac

If you spot something odd, let us know because there can be mistakes..

upload_2019-5-24_21-2-38.png

upload_2019-5-24_21-2-47.png

Last edited:

Cirion

I like it. But, I think the first plot, as impressive as it is (holy bar graphs batman!) I think it might be a little more helpful to split out into individual plots by amino acids (so one for each AA). The scales on some get washed out by combining, and there's just way too much on one plot haha. Otherwise... nice work!

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I like it. But, I think the first plot, as impressive as it is (holy bar graphs batman!) I think it might be a little more helpful to split out into individual plots by amino acids (so one for each AA). The scales on some get washed out by combining, and there's just way too much on one plot haha. Otherwise... nice work!
I've considered that, but it would make comparison more difficult. You can focus on one color and get a sense of ratios.

James ardagna

am I reading the glycine content in cottage cheese correctly? it could be a surrogate for gelatine? maybe another reason why Ray recommends it as a protein source.

CLASH

Dairy products have one of the most unfavorable amino acid profiles for longevity, not surprisingly. Great profiles for growth though.

@James ardagna
Thats not the glycine content, thats the tryptophan content of the cheese.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I was reading about it, and a problem in comparing amino acids in terms of weight (as above) is that it gives an inaccurate picture because their molecular weight is different, so it looks like there's more of the heavier ones. Comparing them based on molecule weight is preferable:

upload_2019-5-25_8-21-50.png

upload_2019-5-25_8-22-4.png

As an example, methionine's molecular weight is double that of glycine. On the first image it appears that dairy in general has a ratio favoring methionine when in fact it's the opposite when compared in terms of molecules (with the exception of pot cheese, but this food doesn't exist anyway).

The values I had were for cystine, so for cysteine they would be about twice as great here.

I won't exclude the other image because it's common to base them on weight. Experiments can ignore molecular weights by finding out how much of a given amino acids is required for a certain effect (such as competing, balancing, etc, the others), and derive ratios from this.

Last edited:

Fractality

Dairy products have one of the most unfavorable amino acid profiles for longevity, not surprisingly. Great profiles for growth though.

@James ardagna
Thats not the glycine content, thats the tryptophan content of the cheese.

Why is dairy recommended for longevity and cultures who consume a lot of it have longevity? Isn't tryptophan converted into niacin in those with healthy metabolisms?

Cirion

Why is dairy recommended for longevity and cultures who consume a lot of it have longevity? Isn't tryptophan converted into niacin in those with healthy metabolisms?

I am starting to wonder if that's even true and wonder if it is genetics that pre-dispose converting to niacin or serotonin. I hate to use the genetics excuse here, but there are healthy people that can't tolerate milk either, so what explanation is left? Hans is one of the healthier people on these forums, and even he said milk was making him fat.

I know there absolutely are people who do tolerate milk, but let's be honest - it's a minority of people on these forums at least. The vast majority of people attempting the "milk and OJ" diet crash and burn hardcore. I just think a food that only 20% of the population can tolerate just isn't a good food to recommend to people who are hypothyroid.

LiveWire

Wonder why Peat picks on chicken so much because of tryptophan. If the chart is accurate, its content in chicken is very unremarkable.

:snooty

CLASH

@Elderflower j58
Pretty sure its tryptophan.
The dark blue is tryptophan. Dairy has a large dark blue line and is know for being high in tryptophan.
Collagen is know for being low in tryptophan and very high in glycine. It jas the largest glycine dark blue with the smallest tryptophan dark blue. Atleast from what I’m reading.

image.png
This is screen shot of @Amazoniacs original spoiler.I always screenshot because my eyesight is bad especially when stuff small.
The spoiler now show's tryptophan has moved position
It was dark green in the earlier one above?
The first spoiler was obviously wrongs specially as the the tryptophan in meats etc was negligable.
Glad that's clear now.
@CLASH

Last edited:
I am starting to wonder if that's even true and wonder if it is genetics that pre-dispose converting to niacin or serotonin. I hate to use the genetics excuse here, but there are healthy people that can't tolerate milk either, so what explanation is left? Hans is one of the healthier people on these forums, and even he said milk was making him fat.

I know there absolutely are people who do tolerate milk, but let's be honest - it's a minority of people on these forums at least. The vast majority of people attempting the "milk and OJ" diet crash and burn hardcore. I just think a food that only 20% of the population can tolerate just isn't a good food to recommend to people who are hypothyroid.
IMO, genetics is way that neo-darwinists came up to sound credible when they say that something is "random". What one's ancestors did and what one does throughout one's life and the environment that they lived in are what shapes genes and genetics. I agree with your point though: if one's ancestors( one generation ago or many generations ago) adapted to dealing with milk, and you inherited that capability, then yes, you most likely will be able to deal with milk just fine. As Aristotle once said, there isn't such a thing as chance, it intent and effort that make changes. Nothing is random.

And yes, I don't think milk is a food many people can depend on, especially regarding the stressful life most people live nowadays and the overall crappy quality of milk products in cities.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

When in doubt, it's fast to make your own graph: just copy what you want from USDA Food Composition Database (Full Report), paste in the spreadsheet software, and exclude all but the desired column. If you're working with proportions you won't even need to match for total protein before the hands.

I still have the file saved in case corrections are need'd.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I forgot to add to the previous post that if you're going to match foods based on protein, it's much faster to copy the amino acid content in an arbitrary amount of the food in question, on a new column, divide each amino acid by the total protein (g) and multiply by your desired matching amount (such as 100 g), than it would be to do this by trial and the error in the database web and site.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals