Americium 421 In Smoke Detectors

Adnada

Does anyone have thoughts about the radiation levels emitted from smoke detectors that use Americium-241 and the efficacy of the photoelectric smoke detector alternatives?

LucyL

This is a good writeup about it Smoke Detectors and Americium. Usually when they say something is 'less than background radiation', that's a cover story but in the case of smoke detectors, it is true. Just don't inhale.

RealNeat

Does anyone know more about this. Why would someone consciously have something radioactive in their home. Ray has talked about the alpha particles being "stopped by paper" as industry touts but explains that when those particles fall and enter the food system they do their damage thusly.

My wife likes to put cereal next to our smoke alarm and I always move it down a shelf.. just in case. I don't trust anything the nuclear industry says.

Has this ever been sincerely studied? Comparing the health outcomes of people with and without radioactive smoke alarms, especially when the recommendation is to install them in bedrooms?

Last edited: