haidut

Forum Supporter
This thread is similar to the one I created for emodin and in support of the Lapodin supplement I released.

Lapodin: Lapodin - Dietary Supplement With Beta-lapachone And Emodin | Ray Peat Forum

Emodin: Amazing Medicinal Properties Of Emodin | Ray Peat Forum

The purpose of this thread is to server as a placeholder for all the studies done so far on beta-lapachone - a naphthoquinone from the Pau D'Arco (Tabebuia) tree. Beta-lapachone is a close relative of vitamin K (also a napththoquinone) and the potential benefits of one of them can be gleaned from looking at the beneficial effects of the other. Vitamin K just happens to be better known, but that may change soon given that the pharma industry has turned its sight towards beta-lapachone as a potential treatment for pancreatic cancer, melanoma, neuroglioblastoma, and pretty much any other cancer you may have heard of. Being a potent quinone, most (if not all) of the beta-lapachone benefits are due to its stimulation of respiration and especially raising NAD levels.
The studies are broken down into sections/topics similar to the thread for emodin.

Miscellaneous
Preclinical Pharmacokinetic Evaluation of β-Lapachone: Characteristics of Oral Bioavailability and First-Pass Metabolism in Rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Cancer therapy with beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone attenuates mitochondrial dysfunction in MELAS cybrid cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-lapachone inhibits pathological retinal neovascularization in oxygen-induced retinopathy via regulation of HIF-1α. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-lapachone, a modulator of NAD metabolism, prevents health declines in aged mice. - PubMed - NCBI
β-lapachone accelerates the recovery of burn-wound skin. - PubMed - NCBI
Corpus cavernosal smooth muscle relaxation effect of a novel AMPK activator, beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-lapachone suppresses radiation-induced activation of nuclear factor-kappaB. - PubMed - NCBI
In vitro and in vivo wound healing-promoting activities of beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Suppression of tumor necrosis factor-activated nuclear transcription factor-kappaB, activator protein-1, c-Jun N-terminal kinase, and apoptosis by ... - PubMed - NCBI

Cancer/Hypoxia
ARQ-761 Treatment With Gemcitabine/Nab-Paclitaxel Chemotherapy In Pancreatic Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
ARQ 501 in Combination With Gemcitabine in Subjects With Pancreatic Cancer - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Inhibition of radiation-induced neoplastic transformation by beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
β-lapachone suppresses the proliferation of human malignant melanoma cells by targeting specificity protein 1. - PubMed - NCBI
Tumor-selective use of DNA base excision repair inhibition in pancreatic cancer using the NQO1 bioactivatable drug, β-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Identification of β-Lapachone Analogs as Novel MALT1 Inhibitors To Treat an Aggressive Subtype of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-Lapachone Suppresses Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Proliferation through the Regulation of Specificity Protein 1. - PubMed - NCBI
Combinative effects of β-Lapachone and APO866 on pancreatic cancer cell death through reactive oxygen species production and PARP-1 activation. - PubMed - NCBI
Mitochondrial targeted β-lapachone induces mitochondrial dysfunction and catastrophic vacuolization in cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Downregulation of Sp1 is involved in β-lapachone-induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in oral squamous cell carcinoma. - PubMed - NCBI
UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 1A determinates intracellular accumulation and anti-cancer effect of β-lapachone in human colon cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI
NAMPT inhibition sensitizes pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells to tumor-selective, PAR-independent metabolic catastrophe and cell death induced by β-l... - PubMed - NCBI
eIF2 kinases mediate β-lapachone toxicity in yeast and human cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Esterase-activatable β-lapachone prodrug micelles for NQO1-targeted lung cancer therapy. - PubMed - NCBI
Mechanistic studies of cancer cell mitochondria- and NQO1-mediated redox activation of beta-lapachone, a potentially novel anticancer agent. - PubMed - NCBI
β-lapachone-Induced Apoptosis of Human Gastric Carcinoma AGS Cells Is Caspase-Dependent and Regulated by the PI3K/Akt Pathway. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone induces programmed necrosis through the RIP1-PARP-AIF-dependent pathway in human hepatocellular carcinoma SK-Hep1 cells. - PubMed - NCBI
The Tumor-Selective Cytotoxic Agent β-Lapachone is a Potent Inhibitor of IDO1. - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of β-lapachone, a new anticancer candidate, on cytochrome P450-mediated drug metabolism. - PubMed - NCBI
Synergistic enhancement of antitumor effect of β-Lapachone by photodynamic induction of quinone oxidoreductase (NQO1). - PubMed - NCBI
Cytotoxicity of lapachol, β-lapachone and related synthetic 1,4-naphthoquinones against oesophageal cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Administration of the optimized β-Lapachone-poloxamer-cyclodextrin ternary system induces apoptosis, DNA damage and reduces tumor growth in a human... - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone analogs with enhanced antiproliferative activity. - PubMed - NCBI
Growth inhibitory effects of 3'-nitro-3-phenylamino nor-beta-lapachone against HL-60: a redox-dependent mechanism. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone-induced reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation mediates autophagic cell death in glioma U87 MG cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-lapachone micellar nanotherapeutics for non-small cell lung cancer therapy. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-lapachone (LAPA) decreases cell viability and telomerase activity in leukemia cells: suppression of telomerase activity by LAPA. - PubMed - NCBI
Paclitaxel and beta-lapachone synergistically induce apoptosis in human retinoblastoma Y79 cells by downregulating the levels of phospho-Akt. - PubMed - NCBI
Involvement of endoplasmic reticulum stress and activation of MAP kinases in beta-lapachone-induced human prostate cancer cell apoptosis. - PubMed - NCBI
Comparative studies of the effects of Tabebuia avellanedae bark extract and beta-lapachone on the hematopoietic response of tumour-bearing mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Induction of Egr-1 is associated with anti-metastatic and anti-invasive ability of beta-lapachone in human hepatocarcinoma cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-lapachone inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in retinoblastoma cell lines. - PubMed - NCBI
Selective induction of necrotic cell death in cancer cells by beta-lapachone through activation of DNA damage response pathway. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-lapachone, a quinone isolated from Tabebuia avellanedae, induces apoptosis in HepG2 hepatoma cell line through induction of Bax and activation... - PubMed - NCBI
beta-lapachone induces growth inhibition and apoptosis in bladder cancer cells by modulation of Bcl-2 family and activation of caspases. - PubMed - NCBI
Development of beta-lapachone prodrugs for therapy against human cancer cells with elevated NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 levels. - PubMed - NCBI
Down-regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 and telomerase activity by beta-lapachone in human prostate carcinoma cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Growth inhibition of A549 human lung carcinoma cells by beta-lapachone through induction of apoptosis and inhibition of telomerase activity. - PubMed - NCBI
Efficacy of beta-lapachone in pancreatic cancer treatment: exploiting the novel, therapeutic target NQO1. - PubMed - NCBI
beta-Lapachone-induced apoptosis is associated with activation of caspase-3 and inactivation of NF-kappaB in human colon cancer HCT-116 cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Suppression of human prostate cancer cell growth by beta-lapachone via down-regulation of pRB phosphorylation and induction of Cdk inhibitor p21(WA... - PubMed - NCBI
Selective killing of cancer cells by beta -lapachone: direct checkpoint activation as a strategy against cancer. - PubMed - NCBI
beta-lapachone, a novel plant product, overcomes drug resistance in human multiple myeloma cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Potent induction of apoptosis by beta-lapachone in human multiple myeloma cell lines and patient cells. - PubMed - NCBI
beta-Lapachone-induced apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells: involvement of NQO1/xip3. - PubMed - NCBI
beta-lapachone induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human colon cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Potent inhibition of tumor survival in vivo by beta-lapachone plus taxol: combining drugs imposes different artificial checkpoints. - PubMed - NCBI
Release of mitochondrial cytochrome C in both apoptosis and necrosis induced by beta-lapachone in human carcinoma cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Induction of apoptosis in MCF-7:WS8 breast cancer cells by beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Involvement of hydrogen peroxide in topoisomerase inhibitor beta-lapachone-induced apoptosis and differentiation in human leukemia cells. - PubMed - NCBI
beta-Lapachone induced cell death in human hepatoma (HepA2) cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Induction of apoptosis by beta-lapachone in human prostate cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Beta-lapachone-mediated apoptosis in human promyelocytic leukemia (HL-60) and human prostate cancer cells: a p53-independent response. - PubMed - NCBI
beta-Lapachone: synthesis of derivatives and activities in tumor models. - PubMed - NCBI
beta-Lapachone enhancement of lipid peroxidation and superoxide anion and hydrogen peroxide formation by sarcoma 180 ascites tumor cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Cortisol/Diabetes/Obesity
Beta-lapachone, a specific competitive inhibitor of ligand binding to the glucocorticoid receptor. - PubMed - NCBI

Inflammation/CVD
Cytoprotective effect of β-lapachone by inducing heme oxygenase-1 expression and AMP-activated protein kinase activation in human endothelial cells. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone ameliorates lipotoxic cardiomyopathy in acyl CoA synthase transgenic mice. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone, a substrate of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase, induces anti-inflammatory heme oxygenase-1 via AMP-activated protein kinase activation ... - PubMed - NCBI
Synthesis and anti-inflammatory evaluations of β-lapachone derivatives. - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of β-lapachone on the production of Th1 and Th2 cytokines in C57BL/6 mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic activities of 3,4-dihydro-2,2-dimethyl-2H-naphthol[1,2-b]pyran-5,6-dione (β-lapachone). - PubMed - NCBI
Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase by beta-lapachone in rat alveolar macrophages and aorta. - PubMed - NCBI

Neurological/Mental/Mood
β-Lapachone suppresses neuroinflammation by modulating the expression of cytokines and matrix metalloproteinases in activated microglia. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone ameliorization of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. - PubMed - NCBI
Anti-inflammatory effects of beta-lapachone in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated BV2 microglia. - PubMed - NCBI

Endotoxin/Gastrointestinal/Liver/Pancreas/Kidney
β-Lapachone ameliorates murine cisplatin nephrotoxicity: NAD⁺, NQO1, and SIRT1 at the crossroads of metabolism, injury, and inflammation. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone alleviates alcoholic fatty liver disease in rats. - PubMed - NCBI
beta-Lapachone reduces endotoxin-induced macrophage activation and lung edema and mortality. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-viral/Anti-bacterial/Anti-parasitic/Anti-fungal
Assessment of β-lapachone loaded in lecithin-chitosan nanoparticles for the topical treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis in L. major infected BALB/... - PubMed - NCBI
ANTHELMINTIC ACTIVITY OF LAPACHOL, β-LAPACHONE AND ITS DERIVATIVES AGAINST Toxocara canis LARVAE. - PubMed - NCBI
Synthesis and anti-Trypanosoma cruzi activity of new 3-phenylthio-nor-β-lapachone derivatives. - PubMed - NCBI
Ultrastructural analysis of β-lapachone-induced surface membrane damage in male adult Schistosoma mansoni BH strain worms. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone: a naphthoquinone with promising antischistosomal properties in mice. - PubMed - NCBI
β-Lapachone activity in synergy with conventional antimicrobials against methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains. - PubMed - NCBI
Identification of nor-β-lapachone derivatives as potential antibacterial compounds against Enterococcus faecalis clinical strain. - PubMed - NCBI
Activity of β-lapachone derivatives against rifampicin-susceptible and -resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. - PubMed - NCBI
The evaluation of quinonoid compounds against Trypanosoma cruzi: synthesis of imidazolic anthraquinones, nor-beta-lapachone derivatives and beta-la... - PubMed - NCBI
Antifungal activity of the naphthoquinone beta-lapachone against disseminated infection with Cryptococcus neoformans var. neoformans in dexamethaso... - PubMed - NCBI
In vitro synergic effect of beta-lapachone and isoniazid on the growth of Mycobacterium fortuitum and Mycobacterium smegmatis. - PubMed - NCBI
Trypanosoma cruzi: activities of lapachol and alpha- and beta-lapachone derivatives against epimastigote and trypomastigote forms. - PubMed - NCBI
Mitochondrial disruption and DNA fragmentation in Trypanosoma cruzi induced by naphthoimidazoles synthesized from beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Antiplasmodial activity of naphthoquinones related to lapachol and beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of a beta-lapachone-derived naphthoimidazole on Trypanosoma cruzi: identification of target organelles. - PubMed - NCBI
Studies on the trypanocidal activity of semi-synthetic pyran[b-4,3]naphtho[1,2-d]imidazoles from beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Antimalarial activity of phenazines from lapachol, beta-lapachone and its derivatives against Plasmodium falciparum in vitro and Plasmodium berghei... - PubMed - NCBI
A trypanocidal phenazine derived from beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Comparison of antibacterial and antifungal activities of lapachol and beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI
Evaluation of the toxicity of 3-allyl-beta-lapachone against Trypanosoma cruzi bloodstream forms. - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of beta-lapachone on superoxide anion and hydrogen peroxide production in Trypanosoma cruzi. - PubMed - NCBI
Generation of superoxide anions and hydrogen peroxide from beta-lapachone in bacteria. - PubMed - NCBI
Lipid peroxidation and the generation of free radicals, superoxide anion, and hydrogen peroxide in beta-lapachone-treated Trypanosoma cruzi epimast... - PubMed - NCBI
beta-Lapachone, an inhibitor of oncornavirus reverse transcriptase and eukaryotic DNA polymerase-alpha. Inhibitory effect, thiol dependence and spe... - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of beta-lapachone on hydrogen peroxide production in Trypanosoma cruzi. - PubMed - NCBI
Trypanosoma cruzi: ultrastructural and metabolic alterations of epimastigotes by beta-lapachone. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Dan W

Here's "title-ified" versions of the links.

Miscellaneous

Cancer/Hypoxia

Cortisol/Diabetes/Obesity

Inflammation/CVD

Neurological/Mental/Mood

Endotoxin/Gastrointestinal/Liver/Pancreas/Kidney

Anti-viral/Anti-bacterial/Anti-parasitic/Anti-fungal

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's so nice of you to type all of that out Dan!

Dan W

I'd like to take credit, but I just made a shoddily-constructed script to do it. So it's entirely possible the post will burst into flames at some point.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'd like to take credit, but I just made a shoddily-constructed script to do it. So it's entirely possible the post will burst into flames at some point.
I'll keep the fire extinguisher on standby! I wish @firebreather was around.:sunglasses:

Makrosky

haidut,

When you compile lists of articles on pubmed to support your thesis, do you cherry pick them ? I mean, do you include only the ones that confirm your point of view or do you take into account also the ones that doesn't ? How do you do it ? I'm asking you this because I trust and value your work a lot but I'm concerned of a possible confirmation bias.

I'm asking you this because I almost never see you posting evidence against Ray Peat supps, and I'm pretty sure pubmed is big enough to hold studies from both sides.

Last week you posted something about antibiotics being bad for respiration, IIRC. But that's an exception I guess.

Can you do this for Haidut's other supplement threads? Mods, can you help with this?

It's immensely helpful to see the title each pubmed link rather than the url.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut,

When you compile lists of articles on pubmed to support your thesis, do you cherry pick them ? I mean, do you include only the ones that confirm your point of view or do you take into account also the ones that doesn't ? How do you do it ? I'm asking you this because I trust and value your work a lot but I'm concerned of a possible confirmation bias.

I'm asking you this because I almost never see you posting evidence against Ray Peat supps, and I'm pretty sure pubmed is big enough to hold studies from both sides.

Last week you posted something about antibiotics being bad for respiration, IIRC. But that's an exception I guess.

We all have confirmation bias, it's an unavoidable side effect of being a human with unique experiences. My selection bias is largely based on how many times a study has been quoted and in what journals. Kind of like the Google pagerank algorithm, which btw was developed by looking at citations of scientific studies.
The benefit of quinones is fairly well-established and there aren't many studies refuting their effects. Of course, that does not mean the consensus is correct.
Anyways, if you like to see the opposite view try to find studies that speak negatively about these quinones. I guess it comes down to what you believe the evidence point to. If you believe bioenergetics evidence trumps genetics' then PubMed starts to look like a disjointed set of various schools of thought, so using evidence from one school to refute findings from another does not make much sense. For instance, there would not be much point in including counter-evidence for quinones from a geneticist that works on the premise that it is mutations cause cancer and very high doses of emodin are mutagenic. However, if I find evidence from the bioenergetic school of thought that says physiological doses of emodin inhibit respiration or cause hypoxia then of course I would be paying close attention to it. So far, there have been no such cases but if you are aware of such studies please post here.

SQu

"If you believe bioenergetics evidence trumps genetics"

You gave me a bit of a fright. What's he doing in this thread? I wondered. I'm trying to avoid him.

tara

You gave me a bit of a fright. What's he doing in this thread? I wondered. I'm trying to avoid him.
Tee hee.

Makrosky

We all have confirmation bias, it's an unavoidable side effect of being a human with unique experiences. My selection bias is largely based on how many times a study has been quoted and in what journals. Kind of like the Google pagerank algorithm, which btw was developed by looking at citations of scientific studies.
The benefit of quinones is fairly well-established and there aren't many studies refuting their effects. Of course, that does not mean the consensus is correct.
Anyways, if you like to see the opposite view try to find studies that speak negatively about these quinones. I guess it comes down to what you believe the evidence point to. If you believe bioenergetics evidence trumps genetics' then PubMed starts to look like a disjointed set of various schools of thought, so using evidence from one school to refute findings from another does not make much sense. For instance, there would not be much point in including counter-evidence for quinones from a geneticist that works on the premise that it is mutations cause cancer and very high doses of emodin are mutagenic. However, if I find evidence from the bioenergetic school of thought that says physiological doses of emodin inhibit respiration or cause hypoxia then of course I would be paying close attention to it. So far, there have been no such cases but if you are aware of such studies please post here.

haidut, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I agree we all have confirmation bias in ALL aspects of life. Regarding the different schools of thought... well.... What you said makes sense. I don't know that much to have an opinion about it, so I'll take your word on that.

I still think we all are caught in a confirmation bias in this forum like when we don't believe in the key/keyhole mechanical way of seeing the ligand/receptor interactions (after having read Peat theories) BUT we still use the keyhole idea and the papers to explain things and try supplements and construct hypothesis and stuff.

And no I'm not aware of such studies. I wasn't talking about quinones specifically, but more in general.

Regards

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I agree we all have confirmation bias in ALL aspects of life. Regarding the different schools of thought... well.... What you said makes sense. I don't know that much to have an opinion about it, so I'll take your word on that.

I still think we all are caught in a confirmation bias in this forum like when we don't believe in the key/keyhole mechanical way of seeing the ligand/receptor interactions (after having read Peat theories) BUT we still use the keyhole idea and the papers to explain things and try supplements and construct hypothesis and stuff.

And no I'm not aware of such studies. I wasn't talking about quinones specifically, but more in general.

Regards

I would have gladly used studies that do not use the key/receptor mechanism but there aren't many of them on PubMed. So, I guess we have to rely on the actual results (beneficial vs. not beneficial) to gauge what is good or not. Btw, many of these studies do talk about the effect of these quinones on things like NAD and lowering estrogen/serotonin/HIF/lactate so they are consistent with Peat's "bias" but stop short of crediting these bioenergetic effects as the main mechanism of action. It is unwritten rule that unless you find a key/receptor explanation the study won't have much practical (read financial) merit. As Peat mentioned in one of his articles, there is no study explaining the aspirin "receptor" yet everybody agrees that it is a very beneficial drug that works through "unexplainable" ways.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What effets do NAD have on metabolism?

Without enough NAD you will be stuck in glycolysis and overproducing lactate. Also, if this leads to an excess of NADH all kinds of other nasty stuff can happen including neuroexcitotoxicity and even cancer.

David Chung

Without enough NAD you will be stuck in glycolysis and overproducing lactate. Also, if this leads to an excess of NADH all kinds of other nasty stuff can happen including neuroexcitotoxicity and even cancer.
In mice, beta-lapachone increases NAD/NADH ratio. NAD/NADH ratio affects metabolic rate. One consequence of the increased ratio, in one animal model, is the extension of lifespan.

See the following reference (whose link you posted).
The referenced article includes a graph comparing the survival rate of mice (1) under caloric restriction to (2) those given beta-lapachone. Beta-lapachone extends mice life more effectively than caloric restriction.

I have seen your post that indicates methylene blue also drives NAD/NADH ratio. Thus, I'd assume that methylene blue would have the same life-extending effect as beta-lapachone (in mice, of course).

This naturally raises the following questions:

(1) what would happen to NAD/NADH ratio if beta-lapachone and methylene blue are administered at the same time (combined)?

(2) Since niacinamide likely raises NAD level, what would be the health effect of co-administering niacinamide, methylene blue, and beta-lapachone?

===========

BTW, I have been using niacinamide for my personal health purposes for about 7 months. Very clear and positive effects on my body!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
In mice, beta-lapachone increases NAD/NADH ratio. NAD/NADH ratio affects metabolic rate. One consequence of the increased ratio, in one animal model, is the extension of lifespan.

See the following reference (whose link you posted).
The referenced article includes a graph comparing the survival rate of mice (1) under caloric restriction to (2) those given beta-lapachone. Beta-lapachone extends mice life more effectively than caloric restriction.

I have seen your post that indicates methylene blue also drives NAD/NADH ratio. Thus, I'd assume that methylene blue would have the same life-extending effect as beta-lapachone (in mice, of course).

This naturally raises the following questions:

(1) what would happen to NAD/NADH ratio if beta-lapachone and methylene blue are administered at the same time (combined)?

(2) Since niacinamide likely raises NAD level, what would be the health effect of co-administering niacinamide, methylene blue, and beta-lapachone?

===========

BTW, I have been using niacinamide for my personal health purposes for about 7 months. Very clear and positive effects on my body!

Yes, both methylene blue and niacinamide raise NAD/NADH ratio. I posted a thread on methylene blue and NAFLD and the beneficial effects of methylene blue on that conditions were largely due to the elevation of NAD/NADH. Niacinamide also raises NAD/NADH (in humans) as shown by that case study I posted of a person whose NAD levels increased 20-fold by taking 4g niacinamide daily.
Finally, methylene blue and niacinamide are synergistic as there is another study I posted showing that niacinamide protects from the the excessive ROS methylene blue generates in higher doses. So, niacinamide + methylene blue would be a great and likely safe way to raise NAD and get the lifespan benefits. Beta-lapachone could be added as well but since it affects blood clotting I'd be careful adding it to methylene blue as together they may increase bleeding risk. But in terms of raising NAD levels even more, I think it would indeed be synergistic with niacinamide and MB.

David Chung

But in terms of raising NAD levels even more, I think it would indeed be synergistic with niacinamide and MB.
Do you think that beta-lapachone would be beneficial for dementia/Alzheimer's (as are niacinamide and MB)?

BTW, I heard your interview with Danny on dementia/Alzheimer. You referred to the disease as "diabetes type III." That was eye-opening - I had been trying to help my mom with memory issues, and I was struck by how well your characterization matched the symptoms my mom showed (e.g., high blood sugar level, her lack of appetite, high cholesterol, etc.). Very insightful.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think that beta-lapachone would be beneficial for dementia/Alzheimer's (as are niacinamide and MB)?

BTW, I heard your interview with Danny on dementia/Alzheimer. You referred to the disease as "diabetes type III." That was eye-opening - I had been trying to help my mom with memory issues, and I was struck by how well your characterization matched the symptoms my mom showed (e.g., high blood sugar level, her lack of appetite, high cholesterol, etc.). Very insightful.

I think there is are a few studies with beta-lapachone showing reductions in beta-amyloid. They are all animal studies, but the effects again seems to be raising NAD levels. Emodin from cascara has been shown to do the same.
However, in keeping with the hypothesis of AD being diabetes-like condition of the brain, niacinamide would in theory be much better, and indeed there are a few studies and a human clinical trial with 3g niacinamide daily. I emailed the human study PI and he told me that while he cannot discuss specific results, he think the effects he saw are better than anything else he has seen used for AD. See below.
Nicotinamide restores cognition in Alzheimer's disease transgenic mice via a mechanism involving sirtuin inhibition and selective reduction of Thr2... - PubMed - NCBI
Safety Study of Nicotinamide to Treat Alzheimer's Disease - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov