Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

Julian

The results of this experiment are amazing...

I recently found a blog article by a guy who decided to go on a croissant diet with a high amount of stearic acid to see if he could prove that eating this way would cause him to lose weight/body fat.

The hypothesis of his experiment was based on a study that showed that mice who ate a high amount of Stearic Acid and low amount of unsaturated fat diet had a reduction of visceral fat by 70% and an increase in lean mass.

This is the article:
Introducing The Croissant Diet - Fire In A Bottle

The before and after pictures are pretty stunning. The question is.. what is actually causing the fat loss. Is it just the saturated fat vs unsaturated fat ratio? Or is it the Stearic Acid? Or is there more going on?

What are your thoughts?

OP
Julian

Julian

@haidut I saw that you posted about the mice study earlier. Have you seen this guy's experiment and what is your take on it?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The results of this experiment are amazing...

I recently found a blog article by a guy who decided to go on a croissant diet with a high amount of stearic acid to see if he could prove that eating this way would cause him to lose weight/body fat.

The hypothesis of his experiment was based on a study that showed that mice who ate a high amount of Stearic Acid and low amount of unsaturated fat diet had a reduction of visceral fat by 70% and an increase in lean mass.

This is the article:
Introducing The Croissant Diet - Fire In A Bottle

The before and after pictures are pretty stunning. The question is.. what is actually causing the fat loss. Is it just the saturated fat vs unsaturated fat ratio? Or is it the Stearic Acid? Or is there more going on?

What are your thoughts?
Thanks, that’s quite interesting!

somuch4food

I do crave croissants. Unfortunately I haven't found any all-butter no eggs ones in stores and I do not have the time to make any at the moment.
(My child has an egg allergy)

tankasnowgod

Interesting experiment. I think a lot of people could get on board with the "croissant, pancakes, pasta, cheeseburgers, pizza, ice cream, red wine and beer" diet. Do it with unfortified flour, if you can, but he even mentions restaurant cheats.

Someone should do this diet while logging food, so as to control for calories and macros. But it's awesome he seemed to successfully replicate a mouse experiment. And Food Grade steric acid isn't that expensive, either.

I'm tagging this, maybe give this a shot in the New Year? Hmmmmmm.......

gabys225

I jumped on the stearic acid tip and I'm one of a few forum members with a 5-lb bag of stearic acid sitting in a kitchen cabinet. I would blend it into MCT oil but I never thought about using butter oil, that's brilliant! If I can cook with it, I can consume much more of it. I'm going to give it a shot.

i'm going to try it this weekend. I like this idea. I love white chocolate. It may be the White Chocolate Diet.

Noodlz2

That's a fun article. Croissants are a rotating staple in my diet. Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and Walmart have pretty good ones.

mipp

2 bottles of wine a night
forgetting about dinner, probably not eating that much
only 6 weeks

Doesn't really sound like a good long term diet to me but I believe weight loss is possible with such an intervention. He's not on the diet now. Croissants are a lot of work and he's probably too busy writing blog posts and making that butteroil product available for purchase, lol
Calories unknown, macros only a rough estimate. I found it interesting he mentioned The Optimal Diet, because I followed it for years and it's true one can be lean on HFLC. He says macro split is not that different but with that amount of white flour he's nowhere near 'Optimal' proportions. Interesting stuff but I'm skeptical for now.

Lollipop2

i'm going to try it this weekend. I like this idea. I love white chocolate. It may be the White Chocolate Diet.
Have you seen this White Chocolate made with organic cane sugar, cocoa butter, goat milk powder? Truly delicious.
3716E97F-853A-4CBE-B214-3E8DC8FDF9DE.jpeg
DA0DCDCE-4FE8-44C6-B734-BBE3227EC09C.jpeg

gabys225

@mipp , the benefits of stearic acid consumption are numerous. Check out some of the threads started by Haidut and what Travis has said as well. I agree, croissants are labor intensive, but the issue before was trying to make stearic acid work. For some reason, no one thought of using butter oil haha.

Croissants are just the delivery vehicle for more stearic acid. Anything flour based (healthy traditions has unfortified flour) would do because it's great at absorbing fat. It's also delicious. However, if you use the stearic acid enriched butter oil in multiple dishes you could probably get away with avoiding flour. It's just easier and it worked for him because he has a background in french cuisine.

Think about the incredible variety of foods that call for butter. Lots of it. With a little tinkering anyone could find their "croissant" and be able to consume greater amount of stearic acid.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I regret giving my stearic acid away now!