Amazing "Croissant Diet" Experiment Results (Stearic Acid/Saturated Fat)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
LoL...

I looked at the second link’s site and found at least 10 different artisan white chocolates with no soy or sunflower lecithin. Oh did I ever do the whole chocolate happy dance :dance

I know what I am giving myself for the holidays...
And it should be low oxalate too.:):

Exactly! I find it funny that so many people jump on the Croissants thing. That's totally beside the point... I think the most important question here is: What is the underlying mechanism for the results in the mice study + his experiment?
To be fair, I jumped on the brioche thing.

Ha ha! I agree with you, what is the mechanism?

by the way, Whole Foods organic white flour does not have added iron. King Arthur does.

Mauritio

Cocoa butter is higher in stearic acid than enhanced butter at 33% according to the same guy.
The Croissant Diet Specification - Fire In A Bottle
Yes I am aware that it has a high content of stearoc acid too . That's why I am considering eating it. But i think it has quite high mufa too.
And this guy spoke a little unfavorable about mufa .
So I was wondering about the practicality and pros and cons of cacao butter as a stearic acid source despite it's high mufa content...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes I am aware that it has a high content of stearoc acid too . That's wit I am considering eating it. But i think it has quite high mufa too.
And this guy spoke a little unfavorable about mufa .
So I was wondering about the practicality and pros and cons of cacao butter as a stearic acid source despite it's high mufa content...
Oh, I see. You should read the link if you have time. He explains that cocoa butter would work as well or possibly better but the taste makes it less versatile.

Mauritio

Oh, I see. You should read the link if you have time. He explains that cocoa butter would work as well or possibly better but the taste makes it less versatile.
Oh,okay thanks for the link then!

This may be a reason why this works:
Dietary stearic acid regulates mitochondria in vivo in humans

Since modern foods are unnaturally enriched in single metabolites, it is important to understand which metabolites are sensed by the human body and which are not.

We previously showed that the fatty acid stearic acid (C18:0) signals via a dedicated pathway to regulate mitofusin activity and thereby mitochondrial morphology and function in cell culture. Whether this pathway is poised to sense changes in dietary intake of C18:0 in humans is not known. We show here that C18:0 ingestion rapidly and robustly causes mitochondrial fusion in people within 3 h after ingestion. C18:0 intake also causes a drop in circulating long-chain acylcarnitines, suggesting increased fatty acid beta-oxidation in vivo. This work thereby identifies C18:0 as a dietary metabolite that is sensed by our bodies to control our mitochondria. This could explain part of the epidemiological differences between C16:0 and C18:0, whereby C16:0 increases cardiovascular and cancer risk whereas C18:0 decreases both

And this:
Insulin Stimulates Mitochondrial Fusion and Function in Cardiomyocytes via the Akt-mTOR-NFκB-Opa-1 Signaling Pathway

Insulin regulates heart metabolism through the regulation of insulin-stimulated glucose uptake. Studies have indicated that insulin can also regulate mitochondrial function.

Relevant to this idea, mitochondrial function is impaired in diabetic individuals.

Furthermore, the expression of Opa-1 and mitofusins, proteins of the mitochondrial fusion machinery, is dramatically altered in obese and insulin-resistant patients.

Given the role of insulin in the control of cardiac energetics, the goal of this study was to investigate whether insulin affects mitochondrial dynamics in cardiomyocytes.

Confocal microscopy and the mitochondrial dye MitoTracker Green were used to obtain three-dimensional images of the mitochondrial network in cardiomyocytes and L6 skeletal muscle cells in culture.

Three hours of insulin treatment increased Opa-1 protein levels, promoted mitochondrial fusion, increased mitochondrial membrane potential, and elevated both intracellular ATP levels and oxygen consumption in cardiomyocytes in vitro and in vivo.

Consequently, the silencing of Opa-1 or Mfn2 prevented all the metabolic effects triggered by insulin. We also provide evidence indicating that insulin increases mitochondrial function in cardiomyocytes through the Akt-mTOR-NFκB signaling pathway. These data demonstrate for the first time in our knowledge that insulin acutely regulates mitochondrial metabolism in cardiomyocytes through a mechanism that depends on increased mitochondrial fusion, Opa-1, and the Akt-mTOR-NFκB pathway.

Last edited:

nikotrope

Metabolites produced from fiber includes some important fatty acids including stearic acid. With gut issues the microbiome will become imbalanced and metabolites production will be affected.

Multi-omics Analysis of Gut Microbiota and Metabolites in Rats With Irritable Bowel Syndrome
One of the few metabolites that is lower in rats with IBS is stearic acid.

So for people with gut issues, adding stearic acid might compensate the metabolites that are produced by the gut and signals the body that everything is okay so you start losing abdominal fat.

Metabolites produced from fiber includes some important fatty acids including stearic acid. With gut issues the microbiome will become imbalanced and metabolites production will be affected.

Multi-omics Analysis of Gut Microbiota and Metabolites in Rats With Irritable Bowel Syndrome
One of the few metabolites that is lower in rats with IBS is stearic acid.

So for people with gut issues, adding stearic acid might compensate the metabolites that are produced by the gut and signals the body that everything is okay so you start losing abdominal fat.

that's an interesting hypothesis, thank you!

Bart1

anybody know how to make the butter oil with stearic acid ? I can't find how he did it

Tarmander

I have a huge bag of stearic acid and did cocao butter daily for a few months last year when it was popular here on the forums.

Destroyed my blood sugars. A1C went up by 1.5...when I cut out the cocoa butter, went right back down on the next test.

Just a warning.

Also why would the guy not take a straight on picture for the "after" pic. Can't even tell how different he really is.

I have a huge bag of stearic acid and did cocao butter daily for a few months last year when it was popular here on the forums.

Destroyed my blood sugars. A1C went up by 1.5...when I cut out the cocoa butter, went right back down on the next test.

Just a warning.

Also why would the guy not take a straight on picture for the "after" pic. Can't even tell how different he really is.

all good points. The after picture is sketchy, as is his "gave it up for the holidays". But it's easy to try.

If it's temporary and reversible, I'm up for trying it.

anybody know how to make the butter oil with stearic acid ? I can't find how he did it

clarify the butter

melt both the clarified butter and stearic acid together

that's about it, at least that's what I'm going to do.

Just a warning.

btw, did you lose any fat on that diet @Tarmander

S-VV

Destroyed my blood sugars. A1C went up by 1.5...when I cut out the cocoa butter, went right back down on the next tes

According the the croissant diet guy, that’s a feature, not a bug. Saturated fat induces mitochondrial ROS in the adipocytes, making them transiently (physiologically) insulin resistant, so that they do not uptake more fatty acids, and instead burn their own. Of course, since fat stays on the bloodstream, by the Randle Cycle, it will decrease glucose oxidation, which will translate to a higher BS reading.

In fact, a type of diabetes med, PPAR gamma agonists, induce adipocyte differentiation and maturation, so that they uptake more glucose and clear it from the bloodstream.

Tarmander

According the the croissant diet guy, that’s a feature, not a bug. Saturated fat induces mitochondrial ROS in the adipocytes, making them transiently (physiologically) insulin resistant, so that they do not uptake more fatty acids, and instead burn their own. Of course, since fat stays on the bloodstream, by the Randle Cycle, it will decrease glucose oxidation, which will translate to a higher BS reading.

In fact, a type of diabetes med, PPAR gamma agonists, induce adipocyte differentiation and maturation, so that they uptake more glucose and clear it from the bloodstream.
Perhaps then no good for diabetics...but if it's not good for metabolic disease then I am not sure the point

YourUniverse

Can someone give a summary? Its a long article. How does stearic acid relate to croissants? Is he making home-made croissants with stearic acid powder instead of veggie oil and only eating that?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals